Taking TV to OZ...what about plug??

Dean74

Not all Insurance companies cover you if you change the plug yourself and then an electrical fault causes a fire. Worth knowing if you have loads of UK appliances that you brought over from UK and now need adapters.

I have a friend who has his Aussie 'ticket' (qualification) to do it and can change over and test a whole batch at once. If anyone is interested thay can pm me for his details. He is in WA, Northern Suburbs.

If you use the wrong plug (or rather, wrong fuse) you can cause a meltdown inside. Things that use more power (hair drier, toaster etc) need a different fuse to a phone charger for instance.

MAY become void

For this to be a problem, a fire would actually have to start as a result of you wiring the plug wrongly (this isn't actually very likely even if you make a right hash of it), AND this would have to be proved to be the cause......there are electrical safety issues with using adaptors long term as well, as they're not designed for that sort of use

As far as the OP is concerned, as someone else has said, it sounds like they have no idea when it comes to wiring a plug, in which case get an electrician to do it. Safest from all points of view

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am deeply offended by your comments, I can find my way around a fuse board with great ease!!

And have attached a photo of my most recent project.......

2%20it%20is%20actually%20a%20burn%20down%20house.JPG

Guest chris955

I understand major electrical work but changing a plug, that is ridiculous. I installed 3 air con units, light switches and sockets in our place in Brisbane.

Regs vary from state to state

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/diy/what-not-to-diy-with-plumbing-and-electrical-20120619-20ld9.html

QLD tends to be the strictest - but they are all fairly restrictive

Not all Insurance companies cover you if you change the plug yourself and then an electrical fault causes a fire. Worth knowing if you have loads of UK appliances that you brought over from UK and now need adapters.

I have a friend who has his Aussie 'ticket' (qualification) to do it and can change over and test a whole batch at once. If anyone is interested thay can pm me for his details. He is in WA, Northern Suburbs.

If you use the wrong plug (or rather, wrong fuse) you can cause a meltdown inside. Things that use more power (hair drier, toaster etc) need a different fuse to a phone charger for instance.

There are no fuses in Aussie plugs. I've not seen a fuse in a plug for years. The protection is from the main fuse board breaker for the circuit the appliance is plugged in to. If something goes off check the fuse board, usually found outside the house, and it should be marked next to each switch what circuit it's protecting. Might say something like lights 1, A/C, Oven etc.

You can overload a circuit if you have several fairly high current items plugged in and switched on at the same time. Washing machine, toaster, iron, kettle would probably trip a 15amp breaker.