Geelong - what's it actually like?

escape2oz

Hi guys.

We're a family of four (soon to be five!) currently living in Townsville, but looking to move south later this year. It's just too hot and remote here!

On paper Geelong looks like it ticks quite a few boxes.

It's a similar size to Townsville, which is a plus for us as we like to have stuff happening but nothing too hectic.

The location between Melbourne and the Surf Coast looks fantastic as well.

What's it actually like living there though? Is it a nice place to raise a family?

I'm aware of the downturn in the automotive industry in recent years and the resulting high unemployment rate, but I'm reading online that Geelong is reinventing itself in the same sort of manner as Newcastle and Wollongong. Is this actually the case though, or is that just marketing hype?

I'd be looking for work locally rather than commuting to Melbourne. We'll remain on a single (average) income while my wife focusses on looking after our (very young) kids, so we're not exactly cashed up at the moment. Kids will almost certainly go to public schools, so particularly interested in opinions on that. 

Basically we want a liveable smallish city with a good community feel and (hopefully) a fairly vibrant atmosphere. Does this sound like Geelong at all?

I've also been considering Ballarat because property is quite a bit cheaper and I like the look of the historic architecture, but I'm put off by being further from the coast and the chillier winter weather.

Tasmania (Hobart or Launceston) is also in the running...

I'm following with interest. We can't decide between Geelong or melbourne. I love melbourne but would have to live north or east to afford what we want in an area we like....realistically I'd love the bayside suburbs. Geelong appeals to me for the beach. I've only visited Geelong but liked what I saw. Property seems affordable! 

Hi Stayorgo.

Hopefully we get some replies. I've struggled to find much info about Geelong that paints a picture of what it's actually like to live there at this point in time.  

Did you get a feel for the vibe/ambience when you visited? We find Townsville to be a bit lacking community-wise due to being transient. It's also quite bogan, but I'm sure Geelong has its fair share!

Property in Geelong is affordable compared to Melbourne, but it seems to be rising. We're looking at Belmont where it's already not exactly cheap!

Personally, I like Geelong. I've several friends that live there and have been a fair bit, although not for a while. If you like beaches, Geelong is a good option. One friend spends most of the summer at the beach when he's not working, bodyboarding with his kids. The commute to Melbourne isn't so bad from there via the VLine too, although crowded from Wyndham Vale station to the city. I'm in the Western Suburbs, but I do like Geelong as a place. Strolling along the seafront where there has been quite a bit of money spent in recent years is most pleasant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gtaylor30 said:

Personally, I like Geelong. I've several friends that live there and have been a fair bit, although not for a while. If you like beaches, Geelong is a good option. One friend spends most of the summer at the beach when he's not working, bodyboarding with his kids. The commute to Melbourne isn't so bad from there via the VLine too, although crowded from Wyndham Vale station to the city. I'm in the Western Suburbs, but I do like Geelong as a place. Strolling along the seafront where there has been quite a bit of money spent in recent years is most pleasant.

Thanks for your response! The more I hear about Geelong the more I like the sound of it.

I'm not interested in commuting to Melbourne personally, but I understand that limits my employment options and I may not have the choice at the end of the day.

Yes, it does seem like money is being spent on Geelong CBD. One criticism I've heard is that the city centre is 'disjointed'. Not sure exactly what that means - maybe a bit spread out? If that's its biggest flaw I'm not too worried, although there must be other drawbacks. There always are :-)

its on the up, and is getting a lot of investment. the state government is relocating some departments there, the TAC is already there and WorkSafe Victoria is currently relocating, to complete by the end of this year. A number of people have chosen not to relocate so there will be vacancies available across their workforce. they are based in new offices on Malop street, right in the centre near westfield shopping centre.

Those people that commute via Vline seem to have more trouble/complaints than those using Metro trains (which are the melbourne & suburbs network), but if commuting is not required, it could be an option.

The big issue you've mentioned is looking for work and I suggest that you research that before falling in love with Geelong. If you settle in Geelong and then find you have to apply for jobs in Melbourne it will be a much harder sell to a future employer.

Saying that I've nothing against Geelong and at one point considered moving there.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 09:52, Melbpom said:

The big issue you've mentioned is looking for work and I suggest that you research that before falling in love with Geelong. If you settle in Geelong and then find you have to apply for jobs in Melbourne it will be a much harder sell to a future employer.

Saying that I've nothing against Geelong and at one point considered moving there.

I don't think that's a major problem.

When I worked for a big corporate in Melbouren there were always some who got the train from Geelong.

It is about an hour and 20 minutes on the train. Probably about the same as if you live in Frankston. But there would be less trains.

Shouldn’t think it would be much of an issue to live in Geelong but work in Melbourne. My sister in law did it (part time) until she retired and my nephew now commutes to Uni in Melbourne - they live in Lara which is a bit North and seem to like where they are. They’re a quiet kinda family though.

I lived in the Geelong area for about 7 years, left in 2013 and liked it. We were on the Bellarine Peninsular. My son was 11 when we arrived there and I found it a great place to raise a family. Might be a bit quiet once your children get older but if they are still littlies I would recommend it. Safe bayside beaches, surf beaches, shops, cafes, sports clubs, gyms, clubs etc. I found the schools good. My son attended catholic schools and they were great. Inclusive, not purely academic, focussed on the whole person not just exam results. 

Once you get to university it all changes a bit, but you sound as though that is a way off!

If you can work down there all the better. The Princes is a soul sucking road. Trains are fine but not that frequent, I am in patient though!?

4 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Geelong is fine- a bit old fashioned in some ways but they are working on it. I think the cost of houses will be better than many other areas, too which would be a definite plus. I would think the commute over time might become an issue though- especially after Queensland.

I think it was James Brayshaw who said “ Geelong is an hour and 15 years down the highway from Melbourne”. ?

32 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I lived in the Geelong area for about 7 years, left in 2013 and liked it. We were on the Bellarine Peninsular. My son was 11 when we arrived there and I found it a great place to raise a family. Might be a bit quiet once your children get older but if they are still littlies I would recommend it. Safe bayside beaches, surf beaches, shops, cafes, sports clubs, gyms, clubs etc. I found the schools good. My son attended catholic schools and they were great. Inclusive, not purely academic, focussed on the whole person not just exam results. 

Once you get to university it all changes a bit, but you sound as though that is a way off!

If you can work down there all the better. The Princes is a soul sucking road. Trains are fine but not that frequent, I am in patient though!?

The rail line between Geelong and Melbourne has been redirected and upgraded since you left.

There's also a much improved frequency of trains between the two during the morning and evening rush hour.

Best regards.

1 minute ago, Alan Collett said:

The rail line between Geelong and Melbourne has been redirected and upgraded since you left.

There's also a much improved frequency of trains between the two during the morning and evening rush hour.

Best regards.

Excellent! I used to use South Geelong as well if I travelled into the city.

Hi guys.
We're a family of four (soon to be five!) currently living in Townsville, but looking to move south later this year. It's just too hot and remote here!
On paper Geelong looks like it ticks quite a few boxes.
It's a similar size to Townsville, which is a plus for us as we like to have stuff happening but nothing too hectic.
The location between Melbourne and the Surf Coast looks fantastic as well.
What's it actually like living there though? Is it a nice place to raise a family?
I'm aware of the downturn in the automotive industry in recent years and the resulting high unemployment rate, but I'm reading online that Geelong is reinventing itself in the same sort of manner as Newcastle and Wollongong. Is this actually the case though, or is that just marketing hype?
I'd be looking for work locally rather than commuting to Melbourne. We'll remain on a single (average) income while my wife focusses on looking after our (very young) kids, so we're not exactly cashed up at the moment. Kids will almost certainly go to public schools, so particularly interested in opinions on that. 
Basically we want a liveable smallish city with a good community feel and (hopefully) a fairly vibrant atmosphere. Does this sound like Geelong at all?
I've also been considering Ballarat because property is quite a bit cheaper and I like the look of the historic architecture, but I'm put off by being further from the coast and the chillier winter weather.
Tasmania (Hobart or Launceston) is also in the running...

Hello

Have you found out anything further about Geelong that would be useful to know, along with the great info given on this thread?

Did you find anything about schools etc? We’re looking into Geelong, but early into that decision so haven’t gathered much research yet!

[emoji4]

9 hours ago, AustraliaPlease said:

Hello

Have you found out anything further about Geelong that would be useful to know, along with the great info given on this thread?

Did you find anything about schools etc? We’re looking into Geelong, but early into that decision so haven’t gathered much research yet!

emoji4.png

Hi Australiaplease, my experience is a little dated, we arrived in Geelong 2005. My son was 11 then and repeated year 6. I settled on a Catholic primary in Belmont, called Clairvaux. Lovely place, loved it and don’t think I could have done better in terms of integration, welcoming and happy for him to find his feet and just “be”, if that makes sense.

Saying that I went and visited other non catholic primaries and all were happy to speak with me. The head teacher in each of them showed me around and couldn’t have been more helpful to be honest. So if primary is your age group then I wouldn’t worry too much, you’ll find one that suits. Visit them and get a feel for them. 

Some suburbs are more socially and economically challenged than others and that will be reflected in the schools, same as anywhere. Explore the suburbs first a bit if able.

Secondary school, again we went Catholic and that was St Ignatius on the Bellarine Peninsula which is past Geelong and where we lived for 6 odd years. Again no complaints. Good mix of academic push to “do your best “ but very interested in developing a whole person. Social responsibility, good sportsmanship, thinking of others, that sort of thing, treated him like the young adult he was.

There is a difference in secondary schools again often linked to the community in which they sit.

Sorry I can’t offer more recent experience but hope it has helped a bit. 

Good luck with your move. I think Geelong is a good place to raise a family but others have found it “slow “ or “backwards “. Horses for courses I suppose. We left once my son had finished secondary school for pastures new but don’t regret our time there.