Toots

On 26/10/2017 at 10:56, Toots said:

Just heard on the radio that there is a storm forecast for north east NSW and south east Qld.  Very windy and hailstones  ......................  and probably heavy rain.

“ Every storm runs out of the rain, just like every dark night turns into day. 

• Like 1

Pity we couldn't send some of our rain to the Parkes area of central NSW.  Dire times for the farmers and their poor stock.  Drought stricken.  Makes me wonder if farming is really worth it out there.  From what I saw on the TV it's as flat as a pancake, no trees -  just red dirt.  

Edited by Toots
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Toots said:

Pity we couldn't send some of our rain to the Parkes area of central NSW.  Dire times for the farmers and their poor stock.  Drought stricken.  Makes me wonder if farming is really worth it out there.  From what I saw on the TV it's as flat as a pancake, no trees -  just red dirt.  

99% of NSW in drought.  

• Sad 2

Many years ago we were travelling round North Victoria and it was so sad to see dead cows, skeletons of sheep and animals having to feed off the nature strips at the side of roads ( the long paddocks) because of the drought.  It seems NSWales has got this situation again.  It is a dry old country we have and that is why we are all crammed round the edges- life is just not sustainable in many of these inland areas. It really makes me laugh when people in the UK talk about droughts after just a month of no rain. Some of the towns we have been in haven't seen any rain at all for years and years.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bulya said:

Middle of the worst drought for 100 years yet I’m looking at snow falling on the hills from a hospital window.  Gotta love the weirdness of God’s Country!

We are having one of those annoying weather days here.  15 minutes of sunshine then 15 minutes of rain.  It's been like that all morning so far.

Perth is having the wettest winter for a long time. Been pretty cold too.

Gave me chance at the weekend to go to an indoor rock climbing place with the youngster. Really good, spent about 2.5 hours there, we both really ached that night. Good value, $30 for 3 visits with climbing shoes. Boulder hub in Wangarra it's good fun.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Perth is having the wettest winter for a long time. Been pretty cold too.

Gave me chance at the weekend to go to an indoor rock climbing place with the youngster. Really good, spent about 2.5 hours there, we both really ached that night. Good value, $30 for 3 visits with climbing shoes. Boulder hub in Wangarra it's good fun.

Perth was supposedly experiencing a 26 year drought up until 10 years ago, plus being on a sand belt where the rain just drained away...

Cheers, Bobj.

17 hours ago, Bobj said:

Perth was supposedly experiencing a 26 year drought up until 10 years ago, plus being on a sand belt where the rain just drained away...

Cheers, Bobj.

Maybe Bob. Never really noticed a bad drought but the government built a desalination plant a few years ago. Was only about 10 years ago they started restricting the number of days you can have retic on. Before that you could water every day.

While ever they let people have retic there can't be much of a water shortage.

Certainly the wettest winter I can remember, bit more to come this week too. Weekends looking good though. 

I've not let it stop me playing golf but I've got a bit wet the last couple of weeks. I'm sure the farmers and wine growers  are loving it.  

Amazing number of people have come to Perth since we arrived Bob and there is a finite amount of water that can be captured and used. There aren't many places where more dams could be built. 

It makes me laugh when they have news broadcasts about how we should save water and report on dam capacity with reference to years past. Never a mention of the extra number of people that are using water. Almost like they are afraid to admit that there is a finite number of people that Perth infrastructure can support before everyone starts to have a worse lifestyle.

Only take a couple of years of a really bad drought and we would definitely feel it I reckon.

Good call though building the desal.

• Thanks 1

About 6 weeks with no rain and almost unbroken sunshine here in SE Queensland but it is still pretty green hereabouts.  We had a wet Feb-Apr and then another wet spell in early June.  The water table was so high then that every small shower soaked the ground - which is uncharacteristic.  Morning dew helps too.  The bushland is now dry though so the threat of bushfire will be increasing over the next few weeks.  Rain in August here is quite rare.

The past few weeks have been warm too with temperatures climbing to the mid 20s most days, a few degrees up on normal for this time of year.

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Anyone know what a Lake George is like at the moment?

it was very dry when I went to a wedding at the winery there at the end of April.  It was the same in June and is much the same now I believe - see redacted photo.lakegeorge.jpg.0dd7d64bf187ef47153dc452d50137b6.jpg

• Like 1