Have we made a mistake of returning to the uk?!

Anna833

5 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Why be confused ???,, the whole last page is pretty much discussing TV ,the page before that someone brought up chavs or should i say Bogans, that went on for post after post, it looks to me like a new member just quoted a post made quite a few days ago (none of which were reported as being off track but always regular occurances on threads like this).

Cal x

It's a forum.  Most threads seem to meander a bit onto different subjects.  Kind of like ordinary conversations in 'real life'.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Toots said:

It's a forum.  Most threads seem to meander a bit onto different subjects.  Kind of like ordinary conversations in 'real life'.  

Yes thats correct Toots, i bet 90% of threads have this happen at some point and we try to do as little editing and deleting as possible, so unless its just blatant trolling, nasty or plain ridculous we try to leave it alone and allow the thread to run.

Cal x

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to be up myself or anything but why would you just sit back and watch Xmas ads? Is this supposed to be an enjoyable pass time? Maybe I am too old (early 30s) to get it. I mean I don't particularly like any form of ads but why the big deal of Xmas ones. I was laughing when I read 'UK Xmas ads are the dogs bollocks...' Am I missing something?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Apollo said:

I don't mean to be up myself or anything but why would you just sit back and watch Xmas ads? Is this supposed to be an enjoyable pass time? Maybe I am too old (early 30s) to get it. I mean I don't particularly like any form of ads but why the big deal of Xmas ones. I was laughing when I read 'UK Xmas ads are the dogs bollocks...' Am I missing something?

Yes, I was missing something too.  Bloody TV ads for heavens sake but there you go   ...............  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

ant isn't very well , quite a few problems ...sadly

Yes ive been trying to keep up with the stories in the media, so sad to see his marriage fall apart. The other celeb i worry about is Peter Kay ,i know he cancelled all his tours but not seen any reasons, i hope he is ok.

Cal x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

Yes ive been trying to keep up with the stories in the media, so sad to see his marriage fall apart. The other celeb i worry about is Peter Kay ,i know he cancelled all his tours but not seen any reasons, i hope he is ok.

Cal x

yeah ...we had 4 tickets for Birmingham ....my wife seems to think its cancer related ...whether that be himself or a member of his family .

when she went online to get her refund ...there was a link to donate to a cancer charity ????,instead of taking your full refund

• Like 1

18 hours ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

Yes, quite worrying about Peter Kay.  As much as I want to know what the problem is, Im glad the media is respecting his privacy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 06:44, bristolman said:

No, after 3 months I certainly don't think you have made a mistake. What you are experiencing is just normal and will totally change once you have settled and made some friends. 

We had similar feelings for 3 or 4 months but now wild horses wouldn't drag us back quite frankly. My wife says even if she has moments when she thinks about it she only has to think about the oppressive heat and how expensive it has become and the feelings soon disappear lol. Our Aussie born and bred kids have no interest in returning.

It really is normal, just give it time and remember why you made the move back. 

Oh and Melbourne certainly isn't somewhere I would choose to live again but we are all different. 

Hi Bristolman, can you please be more specific regarding why "wild horses wouldn't drag us back"....  I am interested to know what exactly people find in going home to UK that they really love.  I agree with your wife about the heat.  This summer has been almost unbearable.  What age group are your children, may I ask?   You say they have no interest in returning, - what is it about their new life that they like better than their Australian life?  Hope you can give some further detail.  Many thanks. 

2 hours ago, Beckfield said:

Hi Bristolman, can you please be more specific regarding why "wild horses wouldn't drag us back"....  I am interested to know what exactly people find in going home to UK that they really love.  I agree with your wife about the heat.  This summer has been almost unbearable.  What age group are your children, may I ask?   You say they have no interest in returning, - what is it about their new life that they like better than their Australian life?  Hope you can give some further detail.  Many thanks. 

Hi Beckfield, there are lots of reasons for us and it's actually quite hard to be specific. One thing that especially for my wife was what seemed to be an endless barage of crap she would hear about the UK, being TOLD over and over that she must prefer it in Australia and she would surely never go back. It's the insecurity that just seems to permeate society. More tangible things are the wonderful pubs, the beautiful countryside, the friendly people, there are just more things for US to do here, the more agreeable weather, less bureauracy and red tape. I have said before that although I grew up in Australia I realised in my early 20s that I was just more English than Australian. Much of it is hard go put into words, it's just a feeling really. I don't hate Australia, I just don't feel at home there anymore. 

Our boys are 16 and left Australia when they were 10 so they have strong recent memories of Australia. Both call themselves English, I recall some time ago now someone accused us of brainwashing them because they couldn't possibly choose that themselves lol. I can't really say what it is they prefer, they have a very good circle of friends here which helps a lot, neither liked the hot weather. One jokes that everything in Australia wants to kill you lol. They aren't sporty or outdoorsy, never have been so that isn't really an issue for them. Not that England's temperate climate really stops you doing anything, in fact in many ways the cooler weather is more conducive to outdoor activity. 

• Like 1

Lol I have to disagree that the temperate English climate is more conducive to outdoor activities. The last time I took my daughters outside to the park and it was a pleasurable experience ie not cold/wet/muddy/windy/raining was back in August last year. We got our daughters bikes for Christmas, total waste of money, they’ve been out on them twice. Due to constant flu, coughs, colds, viruses every weekend for one or more family members we haven’t been on a family outing since Christmas. Meanwhile, I get daily photos in social media of my Aussie friends and their kids at the beach/zoo/splash park/cycling. All the local outdoor attractions here (children’s farm, adventure playgrounds) shut down from Sept to March whereas Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Zoo and all the awesome playgrounds of Melbourne stay open year round. 

UK might be better if your kids are older but for the littlies I certainly miss the daily playground and park trips. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bobths said:

Lol I have to disagree that the temperate English climate is more conducive to outdoor activities. The last time I took my daughters outside to the park and it was a pleasurable experience ie not cold/wet/muddy/windy/raining was back in August last year. We got our daughters bikes for Christmas, total waste of money, they’ve been out on them twice. Due to constant flu, coughs, colds, viruses every weekend for one or more family members we haven’t been on a family outing since Christmas. Meanwhile, I get daily photos in social media of my Aussie friends and their kids at the beach/zoo/splash park/cycling. All the local outdoor attractions here (children’s farm, adventure playgrounds) shut down from Sept to March whereas Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Zoo and all the awesome playgrounds of Melbourne stay open year round. 

UK might be better if your kids are older but for the littlies I certainly miss the daily playground and park trips. 

It's OK to disagree of course. None of the outdoor attractions around here close down, not that I am aware of anyway. One of our boys did have a bit if a cold just after Christmas but that was it, no flu or viruses etc. It sounds as though you should be back in Melbourne to be honest, neither place suits everyone so it's just a case of deciding which suits you more. Can I ask if you are in Scotland ? You mentioned the last time you took the kids out and it wasn't cold wet etc was August whereas down here in England many people, not just me were in shorts and t-shirt into November so it is equally down to where you are in the UK as he climate is remarkably variable. 

My advice is get yourself back to Australia. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobths said:

Got to wholeheartedly agree with this. Although I will say, we did go biking in the drizzle a few times, bit challenging in the mud but our and our friends kids loved it. Australia does on whole have a better climate allowing for more outdoor time in the year. That's our experience.

We’re in Hertfordshire, not far from Cambridge, supposedly one of the driest parts of England. I work 3 days & hubby works 5 days so between weather & working and illness it’s been rubbish. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve been outside but it’s ended in crying children cos they’re cold & wet and throwing away clothes because they’re so muddy or it’s plain unpleasant in the wind and/or rain. Just ignore me, I worked out last night it’s been 40 days since I last saw anyone socially, I’ve only interacted with work colleagues, my husband or my daughters since 29th Dec which is very depressing - we’ve all been so poorly. 

Hoping now Aussie summer holidays are over we’ll make some progress on hubby transferring back to Melbourne.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2018 at 20:06, bristolman said:

Hi Beckfield, there are lots of reasons for us and it's actually quite hard to be specific. One thing that especially for my wife was what seemed to be an endless barage of crap she would hear about the UK, being TOLD over and over that she must prefer it in Australia and she would surely never go back. It's the insecurity that just seems to permeate society. More tangible things are the wonderful pubs, the beautiful countryside, the friendly people, there are just more things for US to do here, the more agreeable weather, less bureauracy and red tape. I have said before that although I grew up in Australia I realised in my early 20s that I was just more English than Australian. Much of it is hard go put into words, it's just a feeling really. I don't hate Australia, I just don't feel at home there anymore. 

Our boys are 16 and left Australia when they were 10 so they have strong recent memories of Australia. Both call themselves English, I recall some time ago now someone accused us of brainwashing them because they couldn't possibly choose that themselves lol. I can't really say what it is they prefer, they have a very good circle of friends here which helps a lot, neither liked the hot weather. One jokes that everything in Australia wants to kill you lol. They aren't sporty or outdoorsy, never have been so that isn't really an issue for them. Not that England's temperate climate really stops you doing anything, in fact in many ways the cooler weather is more conducive to outdoor activity. 

You've given a stirling picture, which answers my question very well indeed.  My brother returned to England several months ago and he is in full agreement with you and your wife, his comments being almost verbatim with yours here -  very very similar.  I will be returning with my early 20s daughter, who sees it as an enormous adventure.  I just hope she settles as well as your children have and doesn't hanker for what she's left.  I couldn't live 12,000 miles away from her, so  it's a given that I would return too, despite my chagrin and horror at the thought of doing so, if she decided to come back.:confused:  I understand and relate to your comment "I realised in my early 20s that I was just more English than Australian."  I have always harboured a strong and at times crippling sense of homesickness for my own country and it hasn't diminished with the passing years..  Having said that, I am in dread of being considered a foreigner and just hope I can absorb the accent quickly and authentically.  It's great to hear of your experience, and very encouraging.  I bet there are lots of people who have gone home and wouldn't change that decision come hell or high water.  Thank you for your response.  It fills me with hope.  Oh!  We haven't sold the blasted house yet.  A (very large) fly in the ointment but we remain positive...  Best wishes to you and your family.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bobths said:

We’re in Hertfordshire, not far from Cambridge, supposedly one of the driest parts of England. I work 3 days & hubby works 5 days so between weather & working and illness it’s been rubbish. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve been outside but it’s ended in crying children cos they’re cold & wet and throwing away clothes because they’re so muddy or it’s plain unpleasant in the wind and/or rain. Just ignore me, I worked out last night it’s been 40 days since I last saw anyone socially, I’ve only interacted with work colleagues, my husband or my daughters since 29th Dec which is very depressing - we’ve all been so poorly. 

Hoping now Aussie summer holidays are over we’ll make some progress on hubby transferring back to Melbourne.

Gosh, just down the road from you and there’s only been one day this year when I have been restricted by the weather from my usual walk. We could do with the rain though.  The mud can be tricky but that’s winter and it’s what one has wellies for.

Unfortunately the Aussie flu seems to have hit these shores this winter and I have a couple of friends who’ve got it. Neither were cheered by the prognosis that my Ballarat inlaws (who had it last Aussie winter) proposed. My sister in law was in bed for a week, half time in bed for two more weeks and 6 weeks coughing, spluttering and generally debilitated. So much for the flu jab!

If you’re ever in Cambridge, I’m up for a social cup of coffee!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, simmo said:

The irony is that the recent virus that has knocked out nearly everyone in the UK came from Australia.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5144699/aussie-flu-symptoms-virus-influenza/

..............................  yet I didn't know anyone who had it last winter.   There were folk with the usual coughs and sniffles but that was about it.  Please don't send it back here though.  :/

37 minutes ago, Toots said:

..............................  yet I didn't know anyone who had it last winter.   There were folk with the usual coughs and sniffles but that was about it.  Please don't send it back here though.  :/

I don't personally know anyone that came down with the flu, one of our boys got a bit of a sniffle but that's it. They actually get far fewer colds and bugs here actually we all do. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Gosh, just down the road from you and there’s only been one day this year when I have been restricted by the weather from my usual walk. We could do with the rain though.  The mud can be tricky but that’s winter and it’s what one has wellies for.

Unfortunately the Aussie flu seems to have hit these shores this winter and I have a couple of friends who’ve got it. Neither were cheered by the prognosis that my Ballarat inlaws (who had it last Aussie winter) proposed. My sister in law was in bed for a week, half time in bed for two more weeks and 6 weeks coughing, spluttering and generally debilitated. So much for the flu jab!

Yes, similar experience here, only a few days where we wouldn't be able to go out this year so far and the weather leading up to Christmas was incredibly mild. 

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

Yep, came down with the flu on New Years Day, ill in bed just sleeping for a week, except for dragging myself into work one day as still on probation and not allowed any sick leave, then further week of feeling awful and now still coughing up bits of lung. 

You’d think I’d be tougher given I grew up on the West Pennine Moors but nope, acclimatising to Melbourne weather has forever ruined me! Our dog even hates the outdoors, literally have to carry her outside and down the street to persuade her to go for a walk otherwise she either won’t leave the house or plants her paws and refuses to go any further. 

Thanks for the offer of coffee, that’s very kind.