Have we made a mistake of returning to the uk?!

Anna833

45 minutes ago, Scousers1 said:

Strangely enough i find that in OZ i never go outside. In the UK i am out all the time. I find needing to drive everywhere in OZ and all buildings airconditioned or just too hot or cold outside i just never go outside. We have quite a large backyard and never use it due to mozzies in the evenings. So for me the UK is more of an outdoors place.

The curse of life in the dreaded suburbs. Walkability measurements close to zero in many. I'd probably be inside, in a state of mild depression, under those circumstances.

Even if possible to walk, the soullessness along with drought of people makes it an unpleasant experience, in many instances. You can put mosquito prevention in place though to enable a more pleasant back yard experience.

Although I live in one of Perth's most walkable localities, it still certainly has limitations. In general I prefer UK for walking, or the pars of UK lived, I should qualify. Mainland Europe even more so.

But I love walking and an interesting street scope is somewhat necessary besides long country/forest walks......

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 03:35, Toots said:

I can't remember the TV ads in the UK.  They are awful here though but like you, I'm not one for sitting watching the telly.  There is the odd programme I'll watch but on the whole I've got better things to do than sit staring at a screen for the evening.

TV adds in UK are far superior I still recall some classics from Hovis and Tetleys (I think) with the monkey tea party. Australian advertising is like addressing children in immaturity. I wonder if this is reflective of something deeper.......?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

TV adds in UK are far superior I still recall some classics from Hovis and Tetleys (I think) with the monkey tea party. Australian advertising is like addressing children in immaturity. I wonder if this is reflective of something deeper.......?

I don't think I have ever bought an item through advertising.   If everyone was the same as me those poncey advertising agencies would go bust.

I was left home by the time my parents got a telly then I shared a cottage with 3 friends in my teens and we didn't have a TV so missed out on TV adverts.   I never really got into the habit of watching it much after that.  I do remember the Hovis ad also the Tetleys one.

I've spent tens of thousands on TV advertising. And if I'm honest there are better forms of advertising out there for the money!

Everytime I come up with a concept, it is invariably dumbed down by the director, who invariably says I need to target the level of the audience (often to cringeworthy levels). Even the jingles. Sophistication is a no-no. And of course comes at significant extra cost. These guys are *right* though. In Australia, advertising is very materialistically driven. It's all about price, value and BIG discounting. Much like USA I am told. However, are we underestimating the Australian audience?

Having a look on Youtube for past and present adverts in the UK certainly brings both fond memories (the aim of advertising?), smiles and a certain sense of marvel.

But in answer to your question, Pura Vida, in my experience I do believe you are correct.

Edited by grizzly111

Aussie TV ad's are sometimes crap and a PITA as they are on more than the show your trying to watch. I don't feel right complaining when we dont pay though, lol, 

We do tend to watch UK stuff on Netflix or one of the other free to air channels more than Aussie Tv but we do like watching comedy and Stand up comedy so prefer UK shows.

Cal x

3 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

The chimps were in PG Tips ads, they were funny at the time but I'd hate to see them made now.

Edited by Drumbeat
Typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

But I wonder all these people whom no longer watch TV, has it been replaced  by on line activity? Hardly an improvement on time spent surely?

Surely improvement is subjective and down to the individual?  I don't watch TV and go on line to chat to my friends and family.

7 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

But I wonder all these people whom no longer watch TV, has it been replaced  by on line activity? Hardly an improvement on time spent surely?

We have a combination of on line and Netflicking ,lol .. My DD cringes when we call it Netflicking,lol

Cal x

9 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

After dinner husband and I usually go for a walk - even in winter.  Usually get back in at 9 or 9.30 at this time of year.  Sometimes in the evening I'm online to read news from different sources.  OH is the one for the TV especially now the cricket is on.  Last night I was at a neighbour's house playing mahjong with a couple of other people.  Glasses of wine and a bit of a laugh.  Tonight we're out to dinner. 

Also usually catch up with friends in UK and on the mainland via Skype/email.

Edited by Toots

12 hours ago, grizzly111 said:

I've spent tens of thousands on TV advertising. And if I'm honest there are better forms of advertising out there for the money!

Everytime I come up with a concept, it is invariably dumbed down by the director, who invariably says I need to target the level of the audience (often to cringeworthy levels). Even the jingles. Sophistication is a no-no. And of course comes at significant extra cost. These guys are *right* though. In Australia, advertising is very materialistically driven. It's all about price, value and BIG discounting. Much like USA I am told. However, are we underestimating the Australian audience?

Having a look on Youtube for past and present adverts in the UK certainly brings both fond memories (the aim of advertising?), smiles and a certain sense of marvel.

But in answer to your question, Pura Vida, in my experience I do believe you are correct.

I have found it somewhat odd that advertisers continue to fork out so much, more to the point so many, adds on TV, with such a falling audience. I find the same with a particular FM station on the radio. In the morning (rush four period) the advertising is pathetic. Something like one song to seven minutes of advertising.

Australians are very materialistically driven, hence the adds reflect this sadly. Not sure about underestimating the Australian audience. We do have close to, if not the highest personal levels of debt in the world. That speaks loads, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

I should try Netflicking....as love promoting the cringe level factor in believers ............

You can get some good uk shows and comedy that suits the UK taste.

I am wanting to watch the latest Im a celebrity but not had time to try and find a channel  to watch it on here yet

Cal x

6 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I am wanting to watch the latest Im a celebrity but not had time to try and find a channel  to watch it on here yet

Cal x

6 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

my wife and daughters are avid fans ....i don't watch it , because its shite ?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

I may just give it a try. How much is it? But still find enough on TV to satisfy watching lust, even if record and watch during the week. Things like Doc Martin, Victoria, The Last Post (just finished) Endeavour, DCI Banks, seem more than enough to fill in the mid week nights.

Anything with the word celebrity would induce me to run a mile I'm afraid , but then detest all those sort of shows from Kitchen Chef to ......Got Talent and the rest......  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 10:12, Guest263228 said:

I hardly watch telly anymore, as the ads drive me crackers. I limit my internet use too. Not on Facebook or social media time wasting sites. Instead, now I live near a beach, I go for walks along it, or swim in the sea most evenings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FeralBeryl said:

I hardly watch telly anymore, as the ads drive me crackers. I limit my internet use too. Not on Facebook or social media time wasting sites. Instead, now I live near a beach, I go for walks along it, or swim in the sea most evenings.

Bit confused as to how this post has gone from have we made a mistake returning to the UK to what TV we watch :/  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Why be confused ???,, the whole last page is pretty much discussing TV ,the page before that someone brought up chavs or should i say Bogans, that went on for post after post, it looks to me like a new member just quoted a post made quite a few days ago (none of which were reported as being off track but always regular occurances on threads like this).

Cal x

• Like 1