Have we made a mistake of returning to the uk?!

Anna833

3 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

To get back to chavs- they didn't have those when I came to Australia and I am not 100% sure what they are.  I assume they are unemployed /unemployable youths with criminal tendencies living in what I have heard described as 'sink estates'.  They only had mods and rockers when I left!

I don't really know, different to bogans but similar in lots of ways. 

10 minutes ago, bristolman said:

I don't really know, different to bogans but similar in lots of ways. 

I don't know about male bogans/chavs but I see females with fake orange tans, hair extensions, fake fingernails, fake boobs and I class them as bogans/chavs.  Mind you they are employed.  Then there is another type I also class as bogan.  Usually overweight, tattoos up their legs and a full sleeve on their arms (this is the females by the way) fag hanging out of their mouth and every second word is a swear word.  They are usually unemployed.  So, two types of bogan/chav or am I being a tad harsh?  I've seen both types here and in the UK.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

I don't know about male bogans/chavs but I see females with fake orange tans, hair extensions, fake fingernails, fake boobs and I class them as bogans/chavs.  Mind you they are employed.  Then there is another type I also class as bogan.  Usually overweight, tattoos up their legs and a full sleeve on their arms (this is the females by the way) fag hanging out of their mouth and every second word is a swear word.  They are usually unemployed.  So, two types of bogan/chav or am I being a tad harsh?  I've seen both types here and in the UK.

No, not harsh, accurate lol

14 hours ago, bristolman said:

Blame Maryrose I'm afraid lol I'm not sure why a comparison was made. 

Somebody was whingeing about bogans which made me think of chavs.

As I've said before, if you are unsettled and unhappy in a place you tend to accentuate the perceived bad and not see the good.

If you want "culture's in Australia it's there. What do people think the Sydney Opera House was built for? As a tourist attraction? The rehearsal studio and props department for the SOH is next too my apartment block.

Sydney and Melbourne might not be the West End or Broadway but they are certainly not lacking in theatres and concert halls. I have a friend who goes to 12 plays a year at just two of Sydney's theatres.

And with people from all over Europe and the world here if you want to immerse yourself in the language and culture of a country there are ample  opportunities to do it.

I don't feel starved of European football because I'm 10 000 miles away.. In fact, more games are shown live, including every single EPL game unlike in England itself. Though I wish I hadn't watched Spurs last night now. And I embrace the local football too. When the rugby league and AFL stops the A League starts so it's year round footie.

But if you are unhappy you just see the A League as inferior quality and denigrate the NRL and AFL.

8 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

As I've said before, if you are unsettled and unhappy in a place you tend to accentuate the perceived bad and not see the good.....

I don't feel starved of European football because I'm 10 000 miles away..

I just gotta accentuate my personal perception of the standard of TV ads especially around Christmas time in Australia. I feel starved of the quality of UK ads! :)

Edited by grizzly111
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, grizzly111 said:

I just gotta accentuate my personal perception of the standard of TV ads especially around Christmas time in Australia. I feel starved of the quality of UK ads! :)

That is sad! I can't even remember a UK ad and I ignore the Aussie ones.

Edited by MARYROSE02
something else
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, grizzly111 said:

The Christmas ads are great, the ads generally in Australia are dire and being on every 5 minutes doesn't help lol

1 minute ago, bristolman said:

Now, are you saying you don't very rarely watch or you in fact very rarely watch as the outcome is very different ?

Typo as multi-tasking - doesn't surprise me that you were the one to pick up on it lol ....  to clarify - I very rarely watch TV and therefore do not miss the Christmas adverts in either country.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ali said:

I don't very rarely watch  TV - so can't say I miss them in either country

I can't remember the TV ads in the UK.  They are awful here though but like you, I'm not one for sitting watching the telly.  There is the odd programme I'll watch but on the whole I've got better things to do than sit staring at a screen for the evening.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bristolman said:

Christ you certainly wouldn't want to pay for it lol

There is no licence fee in Australia so all the commercials pay for it. It's up to you whether you turn the television on or not. I can't record free-to-air but if I'm watching Foxtel and there are ad breaks then I record the show and fast forward thru the ads when I watch the recording.  That is the sensible thing to do if you have free-to-air and the ability to record the shows. The other options are to put up with the ads or put the TV on mute during the breaks. I rarely watch free-to-air, unless there is something specific, like the one game a week SBS is entitled to show from the EPL live.

On 23 October 2017 at 04:47, Imapla said:

HI I knew the day I arrived back it was a mistake - I am still here 2 1/2 years on but going back sooooooooooon.  I have given it a couple of years and UK doesn't work for me -(I've had some great times over here but I just miss the lifestyle and weather too much - the big skies - the scenery - being outside - I can't handle being closed in for 7 months of the year)  you will get people in all situations - those who returned and are glad - those who didn't return and are still wondering if they should have, those who return and wish they hadn't and those that return and then go back to Aus (ping pong) - it all sounds easy 'just go back' but it is not - especially if you have animals and children involved !  But you have now experienced both places and are completely in a position to make the decision.  At least you tried returning to UK life - good luck with your decision.

Strangely enough i find that in OZ i never go outside. In the UK i am out all the time. I find needing to drive everywhere in OZ and all buildings airconditioned or just too hot or cold outside i just never go outside. We have quite a large backyard and never use it due to mozzies in the evenings. So for me the UK is more of an outdoors place.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Scousers1 said:

Strangely enough i find that in OZ i never go outside. In the UK i am out all the time. I find needing to drive everywhere in OZ and all buildings airconditioned or just too hot or cold outside i just never go outside. We have quite a large backyard and never use it due to mozzies in the evenings. So for me the UK is more of an outdoors place.

No wonder you are depressed - stuck in the house.  Yes the UK would definitely suit you far better.  I'm outdoors most of the day but it's a lot milder here in Tassie. I've not seen a mozzie or a cockroach since we've been here.  I'd hate it if I couldn't get outside for a good while each day.  I was the same in the UK - out in all weather though I really disliked the snow.  

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:57, bunbury61 said:

that's probably the americanisation of Australia that what you are talking about ....big house ...big boat ...big car ...having to bust your ass to pay for them, up to your neck in debt ....it doesn't wash with me ...you are just working for the man .

Britain is also different , we have a class system , unlike the u.s and oz ....although the haves and have nots is becoming very apparent in oz as well

Britain , did go through I touch of the living beyond your means in the 90s -00s ...i personally had two friends under 25 at the time ....no major overheads ( house ,marriage etc ) , who were bankrupted , because they " gave it the big one " and couldn't afford it

there is a lot less of that now

1- the banks are very tight now

2 - most people I know , are living within their means

when I see someone in a Ferrari ,I don't have a grain of envy ....its not my bag .

ultimately , its nothing to do with money or status ,

One thing I really admired Britain for last century was the lack of ostentatiousness, which sadly came increasingly into play, during the latter part of the Thatcher era. (The loads a money complex) But many were not impacted by the dreaded affluenza , which I always found more in place in Australia.

I can't imagine having a Ferrari in London at any rate. A very big chance of getting a keying. At least in my time it certainly would. I recall when London was termed by a feature writer in The evening Standard, as having among the worst dressed people in Europe, outside of Eastern Europe, which was still behind The Iron Curtain. Happy days indeed.