Australia should cut PR Visas

Guest The Pom Queen

30 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I saw a wedding last week between an Aussie and a Scott and I am 99.9% sure it was a marriage for a visa.  I won't go in to details because we all know it's a small world and they could even be members on here, but there was no love, no happiness, no friends/family, no kiss and they didn't want photos. After the ceremony they both went their seperate ways. 

this is definitely something I woule report - if you are that sure - you can do so anon

Guest The Pom Queen
Just now, Ozzie said:

this is definitely something I woule report - if you are that sure - you can do so anon

How can you report without proof, names, etc. 

Only today we saw a woman walk in to a store pick up lots of makeup and walk out. We informed the staff immediately and they didn't even bat an eyelid. 

2 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

How can you report without proof, names, etc. 

Only today we saw a woman walk in to a store pick up lots of makeup and walk out. We informed the staff immediately and they didn't even bat an eyelid. 

If you're 99.9% sure it was a scam I would have had a quiet word to the organiser where you saw this wedding take place. Or taken a phone number down and phoned up later.

I imagine the owner of the shop where you saw the makeup being taken would be interested if the staff weren't, just because someone does something wrong and staff don't do anything doesn't make it right. Although every wrong is a wrong and there's no right way to do a wrong thing, it's very different to Australian visa fraud.

Look, I'm not trying to be confrontational. We're not obliged to be everyday police officers and report anything at all if you don't want to. I just found it strange that people were saying they knew of many many cases of marriages of conveniences (and complained about it on here) but then did nothing about the problem they complain about.

Still also doesn't change that I don't know of one case myself personally. If I did, you can bet I would report it. Somethings require me to step out of being apathetic.

13 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Maybe I'm the odd one out but I don't personally know of any marriages of conveniences. I'm amazed so many people on here say they know many people who do this (not referring to you by the way). Others who come onto a forum, make all sorts of assumptions, stamp their feet but no one so far seems to have reported any of these marriages of conveniences to the authorities.

I don't know any murderers or rapists personally either or other criminals for that matter.

I am also lucky that I haven't been the victim of a serious crime

But given the jails are full of these people I don't pretend it doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

I don't know any murderers or rapists personally either or other criminals for that matter.

He's not pretending it doesn't happen.  He is simply saying that he personally doesn't know of any cases where it has and if he did he would report it, rather than just moan about it on a forum.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ozzie said:

I'm confused, what did the authorities say when you reported them?

Really no need to be confused. Really not hard to fathom. I am not a member of any law and enforcement agency that would be obliged to report infractions. Just an observer of life around me and expressing the ease things happen.

2 hours ago, NicF said:

He's not pretending it doesn't happen.  He is simply saying that he personally doesn't know of any cases where it has and if he did he would report it, rather than just moan about it on a forum.

Well we are not all Stasi that report to authorities every breach we see/hear about/know about. What we can do is express the ease it happens within the greater picture of the debate. (what you seem to refer to as moaning on a forum)

10 hours ago, Ozzie said:

If you're 99.9% sure it was a scam I would have had a quiet word to the organiser where you saw this wedding take place. Or taken a phone number down and phoned up later.

I imagine the owner of the shop where you saw the makeup being taken would be interested if the staff weren't, just because someone does something wrong and staff don't do anything doesn't make it right. Although every wrong is a wrong and there's no right way to do a wrong thing, it's very different to Australian visa fraud.

Look, I'm not trying to be confrontational. We're not obliged to be everyday police officers and report anything at all if you don't want to. I just found it strange that people were saying they knew of many many cases of marriages of conveniences (and complained about it on here) but then did nothing about the problem they complain about.

Still also doesn't change that I don't know of one case myself personally. If I did, you can bet I would report it. Somethings require me to step out of being apathetic.

What I find strange is that you would think people would 'snitch' on others business. Or 'dob in' in Aussie vernacular, something that was once upon a time, considered beyond the pale. As I have said, I have even in past lives, suggested it myself to people, wanting the right to remain in a particular country. Hardly snitch on someone, even today, where my taste, my well have sadly become a tad more 'conservative', shall we say.

I can't answer why you know no one in that league. Perhaps it is the lifestyle you lead and the company you keep? I don't know anyone at the moment and haven't for some years for same reasons.

There was a time though when it was a 'frequent' occurrence. But then the circles I was around was emigrant circles in the main.

5 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

What I find strange is that you would think people would 'snitch' on others business. Or 'dob in' in Aussie vernacular, something that was once upon a time, considered beyond the pale. As I have said, I have even in past lives, suggested it myself to people, wanting the right to remain in a particular country. Hardly snitch on someone, even today, where my taste, my well have sadly become a tad more 'conservative', shall we say.

I can't answer why you know no one in that league. Perhaps it is the lifestyle you lead and the company you keep? I don't know anyone at the moment and haven't for some years for same reasons.

There was a time though when it was a 'frequent' occurrence. But then the circles I was around was emigrant circles in the main.

I was aware of marriages of convenience happening when I worked in London and the USA.  Maybe far more common in years gone but still possible now I should think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toots said:

I was aware of marriages of convenience happening when I worked in London and the USA.  Maybe far more common in years gone but still possible now I should think.

I'd imagine 'where there is a will....even today. Though like I said not been 'around' such shenanigans for several years. I obviously wouldn't go into detail on a migration forum, but last case was aware of was a desperate case of avoiding leaving after a relationship breakup, with woman moving in with an Aussie bloke for own convenience, but over the course of months 'established' a bond of sorts with this person and (no idea today) but they were together still five years later even though she only initially 'moved in' in order to avoid leaving the country.

If I was daft enough or 'goody goody' enough to have reported her declared intent (not that I would) what a prat I would have been to put it mildly.

Guest The Pom Queen
12 hours ago, Ozzie said:

It was two people in a park, I couldn't really barge up to them and demand they give me their number so I could report them. If anyone it should have been the marriage celebrant who passed on the details.

4 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

It was two people in a park, I couldn't really barge up to them and demand they give me their number so I could report them. If anyone it should have been the marriage celebrant who passed on the details.

You will be thought of as a racist Pom Queen.

You have seen 2 people in a park who you do not know, 1 Asian and 1 Anglo and you are 99% sure it is a fake marriage for a visa.

What do you base your view on that it is a visa scam ?

3 minutes ago, Parley said:

You will be thought of as a racist Pom Queen.

You have seen 2 people in a park who you do not know, 1 Asian and 1 Anglo and you are 99% sure it is a fake marriage for a visa.

What do you base your view on that it is a visa scam ?

Where did Pom Queen say one was Asian?

The nationalities is not really important but presumably Asian.

The issue is making an assumption that 2 people you don't know, getting married in a park of different nationalities must be a visa scam.?

Would you also leap to the same conclusion Toots ?

Having read Pom queen's earlier post about what she saw maybe she is right, but who knows.

We can't go around reporting people unless we have evidence just based on fact one is old other young, one Aussie other something else.

There are a lot of legitimate marriages I'm sure which look like "The Odd Couple"". 

9 hours ago, Parley said:

I didn't think I did. Then I saw the photo of an ex colleague in the paper, the Indian doctor who was a fake.  

You don't know someone is a crimal until they are found out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NicF said:

@NicF thank you! You're the only one who has understood! Exactly right - I don't personally know of any cases and nowhere did I say I pretend it doesn't happen.

Exactly as NicF summarised. Anyway I give up, too many getting defensive about something they complain about but won't do anything about it.

However, what has been interesting, is the fact everyone presumes I am male!

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

@NicF thank you! You're the only one who has understood! Exactly right - I don't personally know of any cases.

Exactly as NicF summarised. Anyway I give up, too many getting defensive about something they complain about but won't do anything about it.

However, what has been interesting, is the fact everyone presumes I am male!

You can only be called Ozzie if you are a guy and you come across like a Bruce not a Sheila ??

On 2017-5-9 at 0:30 PM, Ozzie said:

So because of a few bad apples those in Aussie vs other nationality marriages should suffer? It's not easy to obtain a spousal visa and a huge amount of information is required / many intrusive checks are undertaken. I know, we've just been through this ourselves. I don't understand how simply marrying or forming a life with an Australian should mean the spouse should mean their family living in limbo land. If you've submitted the correct documents, undertaken all the police, medical etc. checks, you are thoroughly investigated and are approved that should be that. I say people moving to work, contribute to society, pay taxes etc. should be a very welcome thing. Especially after paying nearly $7,000 and investing life savings for the privilege.

It's really difficult to get an Australian visa when you marry an Australian partner. The questions are very intrusive and when I applied we had to provide evidence of emails we had sent each other (some not for public viewing!!) Text messages, photos, evidence the relationship is genuine, shared funding/ financial ties. We then had to send further evidence later on when applying for the second stage and we even had a baby but had to show our ongoing commitment to one another.

Me and my hubby fell in love very quickly, married after 11 months ect. Did we get married for a visa? Absolutely not! We still live in the UK, and are only emigrating this year even though I have held my visa since 2012. We have been married 5 years this year. Must admit it was the first question my family asked my hubby when he proposed but that was for a UK visa....lol!!! He had perm residency for the UK so my dad accepted him in the clang.

20 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

You can report suspected visa fraud to the so-called dob in line. All totally anonymous. Just remember that your anonymous 30 second phone call can totally wreck someone's marriage, family life, migration hopes and future plans. They act on the smallest piece of info and you are instantly assumed guilty. 

In this case it was a pom doing the snitching. 

How anyone can sleep at night knowing they have wrecked lives like that beats me. 

Edited by Nemesis

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

You can report suspected visa fraud to the so-called dob in line. All totally anonymous. Just remember that your anonymous 30 second phone call can totally wreck someone's marriage, family life, migration hopes and future plans. They act on the smallest piece of info and you are instantly assumed guilty. 

In this case it was a pom doing the snitching. 

How anyone can sleep at night knowing they have wrecked lives like that beats me. 

I despair at aspects of Modern Australia for the state to even have such a system in place in the first place. There are all to many out there 'getting a kick' on the back of others, happily leaving misery and chaos in their wake. Makes them feel more powerful I suspect, but one just needs to look at the dynamics of an average office these days to witness the back stabbing and psychopathic tendencies at play with regards just how far people will go towards self aggrandisement.

Some of those importing, regardless of Pom or not, does make you wonder......

Edited by Pura Vida

9 hours ago, Fosh said:

It's really difficult to get an Australian visa when you marry an Australian partner. The questions are very intrusive and when I applied we had to provide evidence of emails we had sent each other (some not for public viewing!!) Text messages, photos, evidence the relationship is genuine, shared funding/ financial ties. We then had to send further evidence later on when applying for the second stage and we even had a baby but had to show our ongoing commitment to one another.

Me and my hubby fell in love very quickly, married after 11 months ect. Did we get married for a visa? Absolutely not! We still live in the UK, and are only emigrating this year even though I have held my visa since 2012. We have been married 5 years this year. Must admit it was the first question my family asked my hubby when he proposed but that was for a UK visa....lol!!! He had perm residency for the UK so my dad accepted him in the clang.

Very intrusive? It has never been anything than other. In days past it was keeping letters and the rest. The problem being of course while people 'fall in love' they tend to fall out just as fast. Hence hard to blame the authorities for caution. Of course if I was on the other side, I'd likely be shouting obscenities at the injustice of it all.

21 hours ago, Parley said:

It is also not in the Aussie culture to dob people in, although that may be changing.

Unless you had some evidence to back up your suspicions the authorities would not investigate anyway.

It has changed. Sadly Aussies have become/becoming ever conformist not to say obedient and deferring to rules. Reason we have so many of them.