Australia should cut PR Visas

Guest The Pom Queen

On 12 May 2017 at 2:06 AM, Pura Vida said:

It has changed. Sadly Aussies have become/becoming ever conformist not to say obedient and deferring to rules. Reason we have so many of them. 

Aussies will dob anyone if they can. They love the idea of cutting people down to size and if they can dob someone to the authorities many if them then boast about it, like a badge of honour.

Sad and pathetic really. 

• Like 1

On 12 May 2017 at 2:03 AM, Pura Vida said:

Very intrusive? It has never been anything than other. In days past it was keeping letters and the rest. The problem being of course while people 'fall in love' they tend to fall out just as fast. Hence hard to blame the authorities for caution. Of course if I was on the other side, I'd likely be shouting obscenities at the injustice of it all.

You're right, its always been intrusive. When I married my first husband years ago we supplied copies of letters, some containing details that probably made the case officer's hair curl, but it had to be done. 

This time round we included a lot of text messages and emails which all contained personal stuff between my husband and myself, then  when they threatened not to grant it they were sent copies of cards and emails that were a little on the graphic side as they had already had everything else! They still refused us though. I sometimes wonder what we would have had to produce to get the visa cis the stuff in some of those letter certainly wasn't stuff that you would get up to with someone just to get a visa, it was genuine personal relationship stuff. Clearly the case officer had a different idea about relationships from the one we have, and I don't believe the word "love" is in his vocabulary at all. 

Edited by Nemesis

I thought sexting was just for teenagers.

If saucy emails was considered proof then of course they are easily faked too. 

The authorities can't just take everything on face value these days sadly as many try to cheat the system.

23 hours ago, Parley said:

I thought sexting was just for teenagers.

If saucy emails was considered proof then of course they are easily faked too. 

The authorities can't just take everything on face value these days sadly as many try to cheat the system.

COs are supposed to look at the whole picture of the relationship, not just texts, or bank statements, or photos, but the whole file which is presented by the applicant. Look at wills, look at contact with each other's families, see how friends and relatives view the relationship/marriage. If they look at every aspect of life then they should be able to make a reasoned judgement as to whether that couple are genuine or not. 

I used to be a firm believer in the fairness of the Oz immigration department, sadly I no long have that belief, having watched some couples openly cheating the department, whilst other genuine ones, like us, are rejected out of hand.

On the up side, London is lovely this time of year!

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

On 09/05/2017 at 8:47 AM, Sandgroper said:

I work in the IT industry and don't believe there is any shortage whatsoever in that area, I have recently taken on a new desktop support officer and had over 200 applicants. Every taxi I seem to get in is driven by an Indian IT graduate, surely the skills shortage list should be very fluid and reviewed every month with roles being removed/added as as needed.

Edited by Phoenix16