Can I take ......

Barry1986

17 hours ago, Gemrock said:

Aha, hadn’t considered the humidity. Ok, so no washing powder! Thanks! Definitely have m&s undies and socks on the list for the whole family. You get some good deals in Target but I don’t find the quality quite the same. Anything else you got to Oz and thought ‘damn, wish we’d shipped that’ ?! Have 2 weeks before the cube arrives! 

Kids liquid Nurofen and Calpol. It costs a small fortune here (almost $20 a bottle for kids Nurofen). It came over in our luggage though. Its pretty long dated so I brought a couple of each. I stocked up when we had trips back with a couple more each time or my Mum popped a couple in her case when she came over. 

Good quality towels and sheets if you like and use them. Decent ones cost a small fortune here. I don't buy cheap when it comes to bedding and towels so made sure I had plenty to bring with us (we shipped our bed and bedding, plus kids bedding, but not the bed). Target/Kmart stuff is pretty rubbish quality for that sort of thing I think.  

For the rest, nope, nothing really. 

• 1 month later...

Household electricals, how about these? 

We have an LG HD tv (not a smart tv) that is a few years old (3 I think) but if we were staying here we would use for at least a few more years... in good condition! I can't seem to find any info that says a definite yes or no as to whether they will still work. 

Also kitchen appliances? We have a slow cooker, 2 coffee grinders, a raclette grill, a blender/food processor and a panini maker just to name a few but what is the general consensus... will they work with an adaptor or just not worth shipping?

9 minutes ago, sorrento said:

Household electricals, how about these? 

We have an LG HD tv (not a smart tv) that is a few years old (3 I think) but if we were staying here we would use for at least a few more years... in good condition! I can't seem to find any info that says a definite yes or no as to whether they will still work. 

Also kitchen appliances? We have a slow cooker, 2 coffee grinders, a raclette grill, a blender/food processor and a panini maker just to name a few but what is the general consensus... will they work with an adaptor or just not worth shipping?

It's years ago, but we used our old TV, but I remember my hubby had to get something here for it for it to work properly.  We brought other electrical goods and they worked fine (some of which have only just needed replacing).

1 minute ago, ali said:

It's years ago, but we used our old TV, but I remember my hubby had to get something here for it for it to work properly.  We brought other electrical goods and they worked fine (some of which have only just needed replacing).

That sounds positive. Hopefully someone can give insight on a newish tv too ?

I actually moved to the UK from Aus 6 years ago and now dragging my boy friend there and do know my Australian hair straightener was fine. Were any of your kitchen electricals similar to what we wish to take? (As listed above)

6 minutes ago, sorrento said:

That sounds positive. Hopefully someone can give insight on a newish tv too ?

I actually moved to the UK from Aus 6 years ago and now dragging my boy friend there and do know my Australian hair straightener was fine. Were any of your kitchen electricals similar to what we wish to take? (As listed above)

We brought practically everything, juicer, kettle, toaster, sandwich press, rice cooker, slo cooker, coffee maker/grinder, food processor, hand blender, electric whisk etc.,

• 1 month later...

Advise on taking TV's from UK.... We have 2 x 19" Sony that the kids have in bedrooms, 1 x 32" Sony in the spare room, 1 x Samsung in the office and my husbands football viewing mega monster 50" Bush with sound bar.  I see that terrestrial TV may not work on these. Any idea on costs to adapt them? or do we sell and start again?

10 minutes ago, Cerberus1 said:

Have a look at

Worse case scenario, you'd need to use a set top box with them. You can pick up a set top box at somewhere like JBHIFI for around $50.

Thank you, that's helpful ? The kids TV's are older (ie: not smart tv's) the others are all Smart tv's under 3 years old. Think we will bring them and upgrade after the shock of relocation costs fade into a distant memory!

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, mrsr1976 said:

Anyone know where I stand on taking own gel nails machine? I am a bit worried about the acetone in a container. Am I better to throw and buy new and just take the varnishes etc?

Not the same but similar, I brought a few bottles of stuff from the garage - 3-1 oil, small bottle of turps, car wash shampoo.  I packed them in a plastic box that sealed and they made it through no problem.

1 hour ago, mrsr1976 said:

I realise they do sell cleaners in Australia emoji4.png It's just that we're clearing our whole house out and I see no reason to throw them away if they can fit in the container and in a sealed bag they can be safe from spillage.

Check if they are flammable as they could still explode in a sealed container. They will be subject to extremes of temperature in transit

• 3 weeks later...

I've stockpiled quite a few boxes of 72 Weetabix to take with. All sealed and unopened. I assume they're ok to take? (I've had Weetbix when there before, but don't like the taste).

I was also thinking of taking various Robinsons squashes as I've not seen a decent equivalent.

Anyone know where I stand on taking own gel nails machine? I am a bit worried about the acetone in a container. Am I better to throw and buy new and just take the varnishes etc?

I brought my gel nails kit including acetone. It survived although you can buy it cheaply here, even the stronger ones specifically for gel nails.