You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Barry1986

Can I take ......

Hi just a quick question, can I take a feathered quilt to Australia? Duck and downe??

• Like 1

Yes

• Like 1

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Agree with Nic. Treated feathers are fine, although one shipper told me I couldn't take mine.  Needless to say we didn't use them.

• Like 2

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

What a good idea for a topic, maybe it could be pinned at the top of the page?

Contents of kitchen cupboards - cans, bottles, spices.  Am I good to ship those??

• Like 1

On 12/04/2017 at 7:29 PM, unzippy said:

What a good idea for a topic, maybe it could be pinned at the top of the page?

Contents of kitchen cupboards - cans, bottles, spices.  Am I good to ship those??

Hi @unzippy they would be fine as long as they are sealed and declared.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

So PSS told me I could take tea bags and sealed spices and aerosols. John Masons told me I absolutely couldn't!

Who to believe???? 

Or do different shippers have their own rules? Although I thought it was the Aussies that made the rules on what could come in.

CONFUSED.COM!

17/03/15 Vetassess stage 1 pass. :-). 11/5/15 Technical Interview, 20/5/15 Successful Result, 29/5/15 PTE English: failed by 3 points :-( 16/6/15: PTE English: PASS, EOI: 23/6/15 Invite 03/08/15 Visa lodged 05/08/15. Medicals done 29/09/15 GRANT RECEIVED 12/02/16 - AFTER A LOOONG 6 MONTHS WAIT!!

At the end of the day you could probably bring them in as most are allowed if under 1kg of weight. However, by bringing items in like this your container is more likely to be checked which will cost you more than what the tea bags are worth.

• Like 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:27 AM, adele244 said:

So PSS told me I could take tea bags and sealed spices and aerosols. John Masons told me I absolutely couldn't!

Who to believe???? 

Or do different shippers have their own rules? Although I thought it was the Aussies that made the rules on what could come in.

CONFUSED.COM!

They do sell teabags here - you won't be without.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

3 minutes ago, ali said:

They do sell teabags here - you won't be without.

And spices, Herbies in Rozelle is fantastic. Fortunately they are on line so I can import. Can't get Indian coriander, ground cassia, podded cardamom seeds, the list goes on, in the UK supermarkets. 

Can you take espadrilles??? Not sure on this one with the strawey, ropey stuff. :/

Thanks

closed-toe-high-canvas-heel-lol-espadrilles-300x300.jpg

17/03/15 Vetassess stage 1 pass. :-). 11/5/15 Technical Interview, 20/5/15 Successful Result, 29/5/15 PTE English: failed by 3 points :-( 16/6/15: PTE English: PASS, EOI: 23/6/15 Invite 03/08/15 Visa lodged 05/08/15. Medicals done 29/09/15 GRANT RECEIVED 12/02/16 - AFTER A LOOONG 6 MONTHS WAIT!!

What's the rule on jewellery?  I was told jewellery can't be included, not even inexpensive items like silver earrings.  Surely everybody owns some jewellery that they would want to include in their shipment?  What about watches?  Are they classed as jewellery?

CPV 1.10.2014, 1st VAC 31.10.2014, Receipt 31.10.2014, Acknowledged 28.2.15

Form 80 - 26.1.2017, Police check 4.2.2017, Medical 21.2.17 (with DIBP 24.2.17)

AoS commenced 17.2.17, approved 19.4.17, bond lodged 28.4.17, acceptance 9.5.2017

2nd VAC requested 19.9.2017.  Visa granted 28.9.17

Brisbane area.

1 hour ago, Catlady2014 said:

What's the rule on jewellery?  I was told jewellery can't be included, not even inexpensive items like silver earrings.  Surely everybody owns some jewellery that they would want to include in their shipment?  What about watches?  Are they classed as jewellery?

I'd not risk shipping any jewellery of any value in my shipping. That would all go hand luggage. No way I'd risk shipping it. Costume stuff yes in container, anything else, no. 

4 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

My costume stuff is in the shipment, the real stuff went in hand ,luggage. The rule of thumb is if it is valuable and /or of sentimental value carry it with you. 

• Like 1

Thank you @snifter and @ScottieGirl, that's cleared up some confusion.  I was under the impression that jewellery was not allowed in any shipment, but that's obviously not the case.  

CPV 1.10.2014, 1st VAC 31.10.2014, Receipt 31.10.2014, Acknowledged 28.2.15

Form 80 - 26.1.2017, Police check 4.2.2017, Medical 21.2.17 (with DIBP 24.2.17)

AoS commenced 17.2.17, approved 19.4.17, bond lodged 28.4.17, acceptance 9.5.2017

2nd VAC requested 19.9.2017.  Visa granted 28.9.17

Brisbane area.

Well, it may be the case with your shipping company. I would think its because of the risk of claims being made and them being small items etc and hard to perhaps prove. So they say no regardless. 

You could call round and see what the policy is for others. And also contact the independent shipping insurance companies and see what they cover or not. 

IIRC I put a few bits of costume jewellery in shipping without issue. 

Can I take a big bottle of Fairy washing mashine detergent as I don't want to chuck it out?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sualg said:

Can I take a big bottle of Fairy washing mashine detergent as I don't want to chuck it out?

Definately not, you will face deportation and a ban if caught!

Edited by AJ
  • Like 2

In a container not an issue. Just make sure it can't leak!  

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

3 hours ago, sualg said:

Buy some cheap plastic boxes/small crates and put things like washing up liquid, bubble bath, shower gel etc in those.If they do spill at least its confined!

I was going to shove it in the drum of the machine, hopefully that will contain any spillage

17 hours ago, sualg said:

I was going to shove it in the drum of the machine, hopefully that will contain any spillage

I'd be wary doing that as if it did leak, it could go through the machine. 

As has been said, best thing to do with any bottles of liquids like that or shampoo, stick in a plastic tub with a lid. 

Hi is it worth taking "everything", I have a range cooker and would love to ship it. Do people generally take all household items, such as washing Machines, fridges etc or is it more cost effect to be selective and purchase items when you arrive?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

........I would bring your range cooker

.........they are expensive over here

.........though check connection compatibility...

• Like 1