Can I take ......

Barry1986

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 12/04/2017 at 7:29 PM, unzippy said:

What a good idea for a topic, maybe it could be pinned at the top of the page?

Contents of kitchen cupboards - cans, bottles, spices.  Am I good to ship those??

Hi @unzippy they would be fine as long as they are sealed and declared.

• 4 weeks later...

So PSS told me I could take tea bags and sealed spices and aerosols. John Masons told me I absolutely couldn't!

Who to believe???? 

Or do different shippers have their own rules? Although I thought it was the Aussies that made the rules on what could come in.

CONFUSED.COM!

Guest The Pom Queen

At the end of the day you could probably bring them in as most are allowed if under 1kg of weight. However, by bringing items in like this your container is more likely to be checked which will cost you more than what the tea bags are worth.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:27 AM, adele244 said:

So PSS told me I could take tea bags and sealed spices and aerosols. John Masons told me I absolutely couldn't!

Who to believe???? 

Or do different shippers have their own rules? Although I thought it was the Aussies that made the rules on what could come in.

CONFUSED.COM!

They do sell teabags here - you won't be without.

3 minutes ago, ali said:

They do sell teabags here - you won't be without.

And spices, Herbies in Rozelle is fantastic. Fortunately they are on line so I can import. Can't get Indian coriander, ground cassia, podded cardamom seeds, the list goes on, in the UK supermarkets. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Catlady2014 said:

What's the rule on jewellery?  I was told jewellery can't be included, not even inexpensive items like silver earrings.  Surely everybody owns some jewellery that they would want to include in their shipment?  What about watches?  Are they classed as jewellery?

I'd not risk shipping any jewellery of any value in my shipping. That would all go hand luggage. No way I'd risk shipping it. Costume stuff yes in container, anything else, no. 

4 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

What's the rule on jewellery?  I was told jewellery can't be included, not even inexpensive items like silver earrings.  Surely everybody owns some jewellery that they would want to include in their shipment?  What about watches?  Are they classed as jewellery?

My costume stuff is in the shipment, the real stuff went in hand ,luggage. The rule of thumb is if it is valuable and /or of sentimental value carry it with you. 

• Like 1

Well, it may be the case with your shipping company. I would think its because of the risk of claims being made and them being small items etc and hard to perhaps prove. So they say no regardless. 

You could call round and see what the policy is for others. And also contact the independent shipping insurance companies and see what they cover or not. 

IIRC I put a few bits of costume jewellery in shipping without issue. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, sualg said:

Can I take a big bottle of Fairy washing mashine detergent as I don't want to chuck it out?

Buy some cheap plastic boxes/small crates and put things like washing up liquid, bubble bath, shower gel etc in those.If they do spill at least its confined!

17 hours ago, sualg said:

I was going to shove it in the drum of the machine, hopefully that will contain any spillage

I'd be wary doing that as if it did leak, it could go through the machine. 

As has been said, best thing to do with any bottles of liquids like that or shampoo, stick in a plastic tub with a lid. 

• 1 month later...

Hi is it worth taking "everything", I have a range cooker and would love to ship it. Do people generally take all household items, such as washing Machines, fridges etc or is it more cost effect to be selective and purchase items when you arrive?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz