Kalgoorlie

IGM

Hi

can anyone give me information on living kalgoorlie. I may have a job over there starting sometime next year. I would be coming over with my wife and 2 girls aged 9 and 12. I've been looking up different sites with different stories some good some bad.

is it expensive to live there. What are the schools like and is it a good place to bring up kids.

any information would be greatly appreciated

Hi

can anyone give me information on living kalgoorlie. I may have a job over there starting sometime next year. I would be coming over with my wife and 2 girls aged 9 and 12. I've been looking up different sites with different stories some good some bad.

is it expensive to live there. What are the schools like and is it a good place to bring up kids.

It is a medium sized town - small by UK standard and dominated by mining. The town has a massive mine actually in the town called super pit which is a large employer and many other people work in surrounding mines.

It it is in the desert and a flight or very long drive (about 8 hours) to Perth which is the nearest city.

It it has a large indigenous population.

It can be rough. While I know some who have enjoyed it, as someone that has spent a fair bit of time there I would say it is really interesting to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

It it is stinking hot in summer - the sort of heat that means you don't spend time outside, but hide under an air con and winter can be bitingly cold.

Its economy, being based very much on mining is in trouble, which is exasperating its other issues and the biggest employer - super pit - is starting to wind down as it plans for closure in the coming years.

Only visited when we made a stop when we did the Sydney to train Perth train journey. I would think an enormous culture shock for anyone moving directly from the UK.

I would generally not recommend such a move. I think I would entertain the thought of moving somewhere like that myself, but only after having lived in Australia and having visited and got a feel for such regional places. The concept of a regional Australian town is alien to the average Brit. You just do not get anywhere that compares to Kalgoorlie in UK, it is very difficult to explain how you might find it. I would not recommend it to be honest, there is a high chance your family could be unhappy.

Hi

I have friends there, you will not have a problem finding other families to form friendships with. It's a place that would be ok for a couple of years for a young family, but not really much longer than that.

Kalgoorlie high school has some major issues and they are finding it hard to retain teaching staff because of the violence. If at all possible, get your oldest child into a private high school.

Thanks for the replies folks really appreciate it.

Going by the majority of replies it doesn't seem like a good idea to go over there with my family.

When you say rough is it just at the weekends or all the time?. I live just outside Edinburgh and it can get rough at the weekends there.

My biggest concern is my family. I would work anywhere it doesn't bother me. Like a say it's more my wife and kids

My interview is tommorow I'll see what the company has to say and what they are offering.

I will be asking a lot of questions hopefully they'll have the right answers,

cheers

IGM

Going by the majority of replies it doesn't seem like a good idea to go over there with my family.

When you say rough is it just at the weekends or all the time?. I live just outside Edinburgh and it can get rough at the weekends there.

My biggest concern is my family. I would work anywhere it doesn't bother me. Like a say it's more my wife and kids

My interview is tommorow I'll see what the company has to say and what they are offering.

cheers

IGM

It is a lot rougher than Edinburgh. I have regularly seen some pretty big brawls rolling down the Main Street on a mid week lunch time. Miners finish night shift and head to the pubs at 7am.

Also, there are major issues among the indigenous community and substance abuse which means on days where a lot of them get their dole payment there are often problems. They have tried to address it by spreading payments more across the week but that just seems to have spread the issue across the week - it used to always be Wednesday and it was notorious, but now there are issues most days.

Also, a word on visas. If it is a sponsored visa this would probably be a 457. This visa is tied to the employer. If you lose your job you only have 90 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor or leave the country. Bear in mind that not ever company can or will sponsor and WA is in an economic downturn at the moment. Also, you would not be entitled to any social security or assistance with things like childcare and will be charged by the state for school fees - I think it's currently about $4k a year. There are a range of other issues and as a rule I don't recommend this visa for families.

cheers

IGM

If you could get a fly in fly out position then great, otherwise I wouldn't live there with family for 2mill a year.

600 kilometres with not much between there and Perth. More problems with riots there in the last few weeks when an aboriginal kid was knocked from a stolen motorcycle by the owner and died. They had to get the guy out for the trial, move his family out sharp style so there's going to be bad feeling and trouble for a while. Not worth the hassle mate. There's no way I'd consider schooling my kids there. WA is a fantastic place and anywhere around Perth is great. FIFO to somewhere would be your best bet. I reckon there will be a few more jobs in Kal as other families bail.

i am also in a similar posistion. i may also be offered a job there in the new year working in engineering.

However i am a single male looking for a change of seen for a year or so. rather unsure wat to expect?

seems rent is quite cheap there though. but am concerned that all there may be to do out of work is go out on the town?

I returned to the uk after living in kal for just over a year. The town was ok during the day when it was dry and warm but any other times apart from that there wasn't much to do. If it Is a 457 visa be careful the main reason I came back was due to getting messed about by the company sponsoring me, I have wrote other posts about this. Honest opinion is you would better trying to get a sponsor in perth and visit kal for a weekend or maybe just a day:wink: