Best time to move (July versus November) and holiday entitlement?

duckygee

Hi,

We currently have our visa granted and have already done a recce visit.

We were originally intending to make the big move at the beginning of July next year.

However, my sister has now decided that she is getting married at the beginning of November 2017 and so we are in a quandary. Do we still move over to Australia in July 2017, get settled, hopefully get a job, accommodation and our daughter into school (she'll be 7 by then) and then pay to come back for the wedding (and not being at her wedding is not an option) or do we hang fire and only leave after the wedding?

So realistically to help assist the decision, we have a few questions:

1) Is there a 'better' time of the year to be looking for a job (mid July versus early November) - I'm a high school teacher and my husband is a carpenter?

2) If we came over July and my husband got a job by say the end of the month, would he be likely be able to take 2 - 3 weeks holidays by late October (so within 3 months of starting work), or do you need to build up holiday entitlement over there the way that you would have to do it over here?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

We currently have our visa granted and have already done a recce visit.

We were originally intending to make the big move at the beginning of July next year.

However, my sister has now decided that she is getting married at the beginning of November 2017 and so we are in a quandary. Do we still move over to Australia in July 2017, get settled, hopefully get a job, accommodation and our daughter into school (she'll be 7 by then) and then pay to come back for the wedding (and not being at her wedding is not an option) or do we hang fire and only leave after the wedding?

So realistically to help assist the decision, we have a few questions:

1) Is there a 'better' time of the year to be looking for a job (mid July versus early November) - I'm a high school teacher and my husband is a carpenter?

2) If we came over July and my husband got a job by say the end of the month, would he be likely be able to take 2 - 3 weeks holidays by late October (so within 3 months of starting work), or do you need to build up holiday entitlement over there the way that you would have to do it over here?

Thanks in advance

The advantage of Nov is that the school year starts in Jan.

Holidays depends on the company, but generally you take as you accrue.

Nov is not a great time to look for a job, as it's pre Christmas, but after Christmas is. Teaching is more complicated. Best get advice on that from teachers.

Weather maybe better in Nov, depending on where you are targeting, and flights are cheap.

It all depends on your situation in the uk too, re jobs and housing.

Where in Australia? as July is winter and generally a better time to come to be ready for the hot summer beginning in November, but would be location dependent too.

Was your recci visit your visa validation visit too?

Usually have to earn your Holiday entitlements first, but would all depend on employment status - full employed, probation period, casual? of which you will not know until you actually get a job, but wanting to leave so early would be a blocker for gaining employment in the first place.

Thanks @newjez

I currently work as a teacher, ut my contract ends next June - on the basis that that's when I asked them to end it because I was due to be moving in July

In terms of me working over there, I was thinking of only doing supply for the remainder of 2017 if we came in 2018, because I knew I probably wouldn't have a chance of getting a permanent job before Jan 2018 and also because our son isn't old enough to start prep year until Jan 2018, so I knew there would be associated costs.

I think though from what you are saying, our best bet may be to come July anyway and then see if my husband can get the time off and if he hasn't maybe I'll have to make the trip back to the wedding on my own with the kids - now that would be fun

Thanks again

Your husband is a carpenter. Most Australians working in the building trade have a "shut down" for 2-3 weeks from Christmas to mid January which comes out of the holiday entitlement. That leaves a couple of weeks for the rest of the year (remembering that Australians only get 4 weeks annual leave). Whether or not he could take leave in November depends upon how much his new employer needs to employ him honestly. However, arriving in November is a risk because he may not get a job at all if no one is recruiting until mid January.

Also, depending on what part of Australia you are heading to you may not be able to rely on a steady stream of supply work, so factor that into your costings. Australia has a huge oversupply of teaching graduates and there is competition for supply work. Again, arriving in November you would be unlikely to work at all until the new school year starts in Feb as most schools rely on senior teachers whose cohort has finished exams to cover absences in those last few weeks of the school year and do not need supply teachers.

So you have a quandry! On balance, I'd say come in July as work prospects will be better. If you both need to work casually until November at least you will have an income.

Sorry - I see you are coming to Melbourne. Definite oversupply of supply teachers in a lot of areas. The full time positions for the following year start to be advertised in August (the 2017 ones are in the papers now). So if you arrive in July you maximise your chances for an ongoing position in 2018. If you arrive in November most jobs are filled and you are competing with the latest crop of (cheaper) graduates.

As others have said, tradies have to take some of their holidays over Christmas, which only leaves a couple of weeks for the rest of the year.

If he arrives in July, then it would be only fair to warn a prospective employer that he's going to need unpaid leave in November. But of course that could affect his chances of getting the job. The other option is to say nothing and then put in for leave in November - but because he won't have accrued enough leave by then, the employer will have every right to say no.

You also have to allow for the fact that he may not find a job within a month. What if he doesn't get a job till October, obviously he wouldn't stand a chance of getting time off in November? I assume you've looked into getting his qualifications recognised, get his white card etc, can he get all that done before he leaves or would you have to allow time for that after you arrive?

Sorry @Keith and Linda, forgot to say where - Melbourne area as a starting point, as we have family in that area and yes our recce visit was our visa validation trip

No need to worry about the weather then, every day is every season:laugh:.

Though not knowing the work situation in Melbourne, I would hazard a guess that Hubby would get some casual work, this being so then holiday accrual is not applicable, and if it was me I would not mention the holiday until a week or two before you go.

Good luck.

We moved in July and normally I would say it is a better time than November. But in your shoes, I would delay the move, regardless of job market. Some things are more important like your sisters wedding. Going back for a holiday is an unnecessary expense so soon when you are starting out.

if it was me I would not mention the holiday until a week or two before you go.

As an employer, I'd be worried about that strategy. If I hired a casual and then he sprung it on me that he's disappearing for three weeks, only a couple of months after starting work, I'd be pissed off - and probably wouldn't hire him again when he came back.

As an employer, I'd be worried about that strategy. If I hired a casual and then he sprung it on me that he's disappearing for three weeks, only a couple of months after starting work, I'd be pissed off - and probably wouldn't hire him again when he came back.

And as an employee I would be pretty pissed off if the employer turns round and says " no work today I will call you when I need you". A situation that was experienced by both my wife and daughter. and what we do with our casuals in construction between jobs and especially during the rainy season.

If they are only willing to employ you on a casual basis then both parties play by the same moral rules, casual employment is abused by employers more than employees!

Personally id stay in the UK until November and make the move then.

As for holidays, it would probably boil down to how long you want off, if its a month you may struggle but a few weeks shouldn't be an issue. I dont know anyone who has been refused holidays be it ,permanent or casual employees as long as they have given notice.

Cal x

Thanks @newjez

I currently work as a teacher, ut my contract ends next June - on the basis that that's when I asked them to end it because I was due to be moving in July ?

In terms of me working over there, I was thinking of only doing supply for the remainder of 2017 if we came in 2018, because I knew I probably wouldn't have a chance of getting a permanent job before Jan 2018 and also because our son isn't old enough to start prep year until Jan 2018, so I knew there would be associated costs.

I think though from what you are saying, our best bet may be to come July anyway and then see if my husband can get the time off and if he hasn't maybe I'll have to make the trip back to the wedding on my own with the kids - now that would be fun ??

Thanks again

You may well miss the window for the one year contracts and permanent teaching positions for 2018 anyways (they tend to come out here in our state around July iirc) and be looking at supply work for the year to build up to the application period for the 2019 jobs. Hopefully you can find out when the jobs are generally listed in your preferred state.

In general work is harder to come by in the summer months before Christmas, it's running into holiday season and people are not hiring generally.

I'd not delay a move for a wedding if it were me. I'd get myself a return ticket to fly out on and nip back for a week for the wedding probably. I'd be inclined to leave the kids in Aus and make use of daycare for a younger one and OSHC for a child at school before and after school for a week or so. I think taking them back so soon could be confusing and possibly upsetting but you can't know this before hand of course, But that is me.

The way I see it, if you delay the move for this wedding, and then something else comes up, where do you stop? Unfortunately thats the price you pay for emigrating - there are always going to be missed birthdays, weddings, christenings, funerals etc.You have to bite the bullet and move at some point, and then try and keep a slush fund for the next big family occasion.

You may well miss the window for the one year contracts and permanent teaching positions for 2018 anyways (they tend to come out here in our state around July iirc) and be looking at supply work for the year to build up to the application period for the 2019 jobs. Hopefully you can find out when the jobs are generally listed in your preferred state.

In general work is harder to come by in the summer months before Christmas, it's running into holiday season and people are not hiring generally.

I'd not delay a move for a wedding if it were me. I'd get myself a return ticket to fly out on and nip back for a week for the wedding probably. I'd be inclined to leave the kids in Aus and make use of daycare for a younger one and OSHC for a child at school before and after school for a week or so. I think taking them back so soon could be confusing and possibly upsetting but you can't know this before hand of course, But that is me.

Which state are you in? I thought coming July would give me plenty of chance to get a job for the following January. A bit nervous that I could miss the boat for another academic year. I'm also somewhat nervous that having got the visa on my skills, my skills seems to be have stripped off all the in-demand lists and now all I hear is people saying that you have a massive over-supply of teachers. My job (secondary school ICT teacher) still appears on the Victoria list, but that's not be updated since September 2015. Looks like I may be in for a career change as well :-)

The way I see it, if you delay the move for this wedding, and then something else comes up, where do you stop? Unfortunately thats the price you pay for emigrating - there are always going to be missed birthdays, weddings, christenings, funerals etc.You have to bite the bullet and move at some point, and then try and keep a slush fund for the next big family occasion.

I think you are right, we have to bite the bullet at some stage or there will always be some event or other holding us back. Thanks

I think what we will do is come over as a family in late June/early July and start setting up. Hopefully my husband will get a job (he's run his own joinery company over here for 11 years now, so I am hoping he will be an attractive prospect) and I may even get some supply. We'll plan for me and the kids to come back for the wedding and then see how things go with my husband as to whether he joins us or whether he stays over there for a few weeks of peace and quiet while we come back for the wedding.

Financially, having to go and come back not long after isn't great, but if July gives us more prospects of getting a job and if we know that we have to factor is the November return, we'll just have to budget for that. I opted to stay at work longer over here in the UK to have more money in the bank, so I'll just have to put some of that money aside for the wedding (oh and hope that the exchange rate improves from the dire state it's currently in :-)) As @Nemesis said, if we delay for the wedding, next we'll be delaying for Christmas and then something and something else.

Which state are you in? I thought coming July would give me plenty of chance to get a job for the following January. A bit nervous that I could miss the boat for another academic year. I'm also somewhat nervous that having got the visa on my skills, my skills seems to be have stripped off all the in-demand lists and now all I hear is people saying that you have a massive over-supply of teachers. My job (secondary school ICT teacher) still appears on the Victoria list, but that's not be updated since September 2015. Looks like I may be in for a career change as well :-)

Competition is fierce for teaching jobs. There are very few permanent positions available and you will need to be very competitive to get a contract position. Schools begin advertising from July onwards for the following academic year, by November it is normally all over. So make sure that you are registered with the TRB in Victoria and ready to apply.

Competition is fierce for teaching jobs. There are very few permanent positions available and you will need to be very competitive to get a contract position. Schools begin advertising from July onwards for the following academic year, by November it is normally all over. So make sure that you are registered with the TRB in Victoria and ready to apply.

Thanks

I take it teaching over there is nicer than here then, where there is a massive shortage of teachers because everyone is getting out of the profession :-)? Saying that, I actually really enjoy my job over here (teaching in a sixth form college) and if I could ship my job to Australia with me, I would, but teaching at high school level became another thing.

TRB in Victoria? Is that just registering with Victorian Institute of Teaching, in fact I got my renewal reminder through the post the other day? If so, I'm already registered with them. Where's the best place to look for jobs when the time comes? I've already been in contact with Smart Teachers in Melbourne and they have said that my A-level experience will put me in a strong position, but then that was before there seemed to be an explosion in the number of teachers in Australia.

I wouldn't be banking on getting a permanent job at all - not in a place where new migrants actually want to live anyway. ICT would be one of those well over subscribed I should think - be a bit different if you were advanced maths or science. The other little whammy seems to be that people think their experience will make them a shoo in but experienced teachers cost more and self managing schools like to get their best bang for their buck! If you have a permanent job then don't quit but take a career break if you can!

I do agree with Quoll with not banking on getting a permanent post anytime soon. They are few and far between and its maths and science are the areas that are under subscribed, other subjects have a good supply of teachers after posts. That isn't to say you won't find posts listed but there may be a fair chunk of applicants for a post. Schools in and around cities tend to have plenty of teachers in most areas. Regional or rural schools are the ones often crying out for staff but not many migrants want to live in a regional town miles from anywhere, so I can get why many new arrivals head for the cities or more built up areas.

Many schools seem to give one year contracts as there are not many permanent posts available and so you could be employed for a year part or full time and then find the school does not take you up for another year.

If you come over, be prepared to do the rounds to get your face known for supply work. Often once the school year gets going teachers tend to have their go to list for supply teachers as they get to know them and so will call them first before others in the pile.

I do agree with Quoll with not banking on getting a permanent post anytime soon. They are few and far between and its maths and science are the areas that are under subscribed, other subjects have a good supply of teachers after posts. That isn't to say you won't find posts listed but there may be a fair chunk of applicants for a post. Schools in and around cities tend to have plenty of teachers in most areas. Regional or rural schools are the ones often crying out for staff but not many migrants want to live in a regional town miles from anywhere, so I can get why many new arrivals head for the cities or more built up areas.

Many schools seem to give one year contracts as there are not many permanent posts available and so you could be employed for a year part or full time and then find the school does not take you up for another year.

If you come over, be prepared to do the rounds to get your face known for supply work. Often once the school year gets going teachers tend to have their go to list for supply teachers as they get to know them and so will call them first before others in the pile.

Thanks @snifter. I'm very much a que sera person, so I'll take things as they come. At the time we got the visa, my role and my subject was on the Victoria shortage list, now it seems to have gone. I'll do what I need to get a job and if I don't find one in teaching, then I am sure I'll be able to find something. The past two jobs I have had over here have been rolling year on year contracts anyway, as I work in sixth form and because their budgets are being slashed more and more all the time, they are not prepared to commit to taking people on for more than a year at a time. So, in that respect, I'd be no worse off. Before I started my current job and re-found my enjoyment of teaching, I was adamant that I wanted out of teaching when I came to Australia, so if things don't work out then perhaps I will be looking for a new career.

Archived