Thoughts on returning from a 6 week holiday in the UK....anyone interested???

wattsy1982

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, so please move appropriately if not.

So for those of you who dont know me/our situation we (me, wife and 2 young boys) moved here (gold coast) in July 2013 on PR visas and have done well since we arrived, both gained full time jobs, kids sorted in kindy and school etc and we built our own house, moved in in March 2016.

During most of this time I have been homesick and wanting to return but keen to get citizenship for the kids so kept myself busy with work and the house build etc. My wife has been fairly settled form the off.

We have just got back from a 6 week holiday home, our first time back since we left over 3 years ago.

It was great to see family, immediate family, parents/grandparents, siblings etc. The kids made/rekindled relationships with aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins etc and the weather was GREAT, hit 30oC on some occasions and only rained 1 afternoon in 6 weeks...and we were already at an indoor play area so it didnt matter! The late summers evenings were wonderful, could do so much more, especially once the kids had gone to bed!

My thoughts/findings on the UK;

• Roads narrower and much poorer condition.
  • Traffic about the same as here on the Gold Coast, except in London.....thats just another thing altogether.
  • Even with the above said it was much better/nicer to drive in the UK, not as many terrible drivers in their loud V8 cars or motorbikes that sound like they are ready for the scrap yard!
  • The economy seems to be in a good, if not rising state and we arrived on the day the brexit was announced and most I spoke to were happy with the decision and upbeat about what lay ahead.
  • Food, drink and dining out very reasonable and the selection of ANYTHING in the supermarket was much superior than here in QLD
  • The greenness and old buildings etc was great, we saw things we never even noticed before.
  • Was great to catch up with mates, but some 'mates' didnt even make an effort to catch up in the whole 6 weeks so i saw them in a different light, as too my wifes sister who got married whilst we were there and was the bridezilla from hell which upset my wife on may occasions and kind of tainted a week of the holiday on the run up to the wedding.
  • We had a break to europe (france) which was great, an only just over 1 hr flight....the different culture etc was a real treat, not a chicken parmy or pokie in sight!
  • The pub culture was great, watching the football in the pub and a beer garden on a summers evening takes some beating.
  • The kids loved rambling in the long grass etc without the fear of snakes etc
  • My mates are all doing 'ok' with their own houses, jobs, cars, holidays etc but maybe aus has changed me/my expectations as i kept thinking I couldn't be content with what they had (materialistic i know) but from what I felt, most just seemed to be happy to plod along and kind of accept that thats the best they can/will do where as in Aus even I feel that anything is possible and the strive to do/achieve/have better is the norm.
  • This said though, most of my mates have a nicer car than me.....and it was cheaper too! Not important, just an observation.
  • It was great catching up with family but at times it got a bit much and i had a few times where I thought at least we don't have these hassles in Aus....but overall it was nice to see them!

Pre-holiday my wife was worried she wasnt going to be able to get me on the plane back here but I was more than happy to come back, in fact it was my wife who was wobbly and wasn't keen to come back...!

Im not saying im 'cured' but I do think that the holiday has given me the fix of home and family etc that I needed and for the next year (until citizenship) I am happy with being here. This may wear off, who knows.

We are very happy to be back in our own house, own space, own car and not living out of a suitcase and the fear of suffocating under carpets and curtains in my parents house is slowly passing!

All in all a great trip, the UK more than lived up to what we hoped but it has made me see what we have here in a different light and happy to enjoy it for as long as it lasts, be it a year or longer. Its especially made me appreciate friends here more, before we went back I was a bit wishy washy with them and kept comparing them with mates back home when really, they are good blokes.

Thanks for tuning in.

Love to hear your thoughts/own findings.

Dan

So glad you had a good time - bridezilla apart! Holidays can be pretty intense when you're packing a whole lot of contact info a short time but it's good that you are now more sanguine about achieving your aim of citizenship. Don't forget to pencil in a trip to the National Capital on your bucket list for Aus while you are still there!

Hard to disagree with any of that except the food. It's always great to be back in Brisbane for the food. So many thai takeaways instead of rubbish chinese and away from those utterly awful Italian chained restaurants and coffee houses.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, so please move appropriately if not.

So for those of you who dont know me/our situation we (me, wife and 2 young boys) moved here (gold coast) in July 2013 on PR visas and have done well since we arrived, both gained full time jobs, kids sorted in kindy and school etc and we built our own house, moved in in March 2016.

During most of this time I have been homesick and wanting to return but keen to get citizenship for the kids so kept myself busy with work and the house build etc. My wife has been fairly settled form the off.

We have just got back from a 6 week holiday home, our first time back since we left over 3 years ago.

It was great to see family, immediate family, parents/grandparents, siblings etc. The kids made/rekindled relationships with aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins etc and the weather was GREAT, hit 30oC on some occasions and only rained 1 afternoon in 6 weeks...and we were already at an indoor play area so it didnt matter! The late summers evenings were wonderful, could do so much more, especially once the kids had gone to bed!

My thoughts/findings on the UK;

• Roads narrower and much poorer condition.

• Traffic about the same as here on the Gold Coast, except in London.....thats just another thing altogether.

• Even with the above said it was much better/nicer to drive in the UK, not as many terrible drivers in their loud V8 cars or motorbikes that sound like they are ready for the scrap yard!

• The economy seems to be in a good, if not rising state and we arrived on the day the brexit was announced and most I spoke to were happy with the decision and upbeat about what lay ahead.

• Food, drink and dining out very reasonable and the selection of ANYTHING in the supermarket was much superior than here in QLD

• The greenness and old buildings etc was great, we saw things we never even noticed before.

• Was great to catch up with mates, but some 'mates' didnt even make an effort to catch up in the whole 6 weeks so i saw them in a different light, as too my wifes sister who got married whilst we were there and was the bridezilla from hell which upset my wife on may occasions and kind of tainted a week of the holiday on the run up to the wedding.

• We had a break to europe (france) which was great, an only just over 1 hr flight....the different culture etc was a real treat, not a chicken parmy or pokie in sight!

• The pub culture was great, watching the football in the pub and a beer garden on a summers evening takes some beating.

• The kids loved rambling in the long grass etc without the fear of snakes etc

• My mates are all doing 'ok' with their own houses, jobs, cars, holidays etc but maybe aus has changed me/my expectations as i kept thinking I couldn't be content with what they had (materialistic i know) but from what I felt, most just seemed to be happy to plod along and kind of accept that thats the best they can/will do where as in Aus even I feel that anything is possible and the strive to do/achieve/have better is the norm.

• This said though, most of my mates have a nicer car than me.....and it was cheaper too! Not important, just an observation.

• It was great catching up with family but at times it got a bit much and i had a few times where I thought at least we don't have these hassles in Aus....but overall it was nice to see them!

Pre-holiday my wife was worried she wasnt going to be able to get me on the plane back here but I was more than happy to come back, in fact it was my wife who was wobbly and wasn't keen to come back...!

Im not saying im 'cured' but I do think that the holiday has given me the fix of home and family etc that I needed and for the next year (until citizenship) I am happy with being here. This may wear off, who knows.

We are very happy to be back in our own house, own space, own car and not living out of a suitcase and the fear of suffocating under carpets and curtains in my parents house is slowly passing!

All in all a great trip, the UK more than lived up to what we hoped but it has made me see what we have here in a different light and happy to enjoy it for as long as it lasts, be it a year or longer. Its especially made me appreciate friends here more, before we went back I was a bit wishy washy with them and kept comparing them with mates back home when really, they are good blokes.

Thanks for tuning in.

Love to hear your thoughts/own findings.

Dan

Welcome back.

Thank you for posting your honest reaction to your longed for holiday back in UK. Like other posters I know you have struggled here, delighted it went well on the whole, it's interesting isn't it that the reality of your memories doesn't always match up with your expectation level, and you learn who your real friends are, it can be surprising sometimes which ones are.

We left UK over 23 years ago, so many friends have stayed faithful, but it never fails to amaze us how some always expect us to visit them, when we have travelled half way around the world, rather than drive an hour or two to catch up with us!!

I sympathise with your reaction to your parents house as I find UK houses on the whole a bit claustrophobic. Air flow seems to be missing.

So enjoy the rest of the time you live here, get your citizenship and then see where life takes you.

Pity you did not have the best weather wattsy. Nothing beats the UK and Europe when the sun shines then again I hate the heat so it suits me. I agree that you cannot beat the pubs in the UK and that is what I really missed when I was in oz. It aint a bad old country is it...:cute:

.........that made interesting reading...so glad it was mostly a joy...

.........I do think many of us make the mistake of comparing.....

.........and looking for memories.....

.........when I visit places I have been before I look at it newly...

..........to holiday or live I think we can only look forward.....

..........it's not the place we are.....

..........but where we are in ourselves.....

..........we change......as we adapt to the life we have....

..........your beginnings will always be special to you......it shaped you....

..........but so will your life here....

..........you will settle where most of your needs and wants are now.....

..........life is all about....enjoying the now.....IMO and ime....of course...

Thanks for your good description- interesting to hear your impressions. Very good that it has given you another perspective on your life here- interesting how this happens, isn't it?

I like the quote which I think was posted on this forum a while back. " there is a reason as to why your windscreen is so big and the rear view mirror so small"

Hiya Wattsy, great to read that you enjoyed your holiday so much mate. Hope it helps you to feel more settled in your time ahead in Australia. We're in Paris at the mo as part of our northern hemisphere trip. We've absolutely loved being back in the UK and in France. Both countries have looked stunning and it's been wonderful catching up with family and friends. As a family we've resolved that our goal is to move back to England when our daughter finishes primary school in 2018. It'll be tough, as jobs in our respective sectors (social work and counselling) are harder to come by now than they once were, but if we can make it happen then we will. :smile:

Glad you enjoyed your time at home. Yes life here is different and friends have a different history here compared to friends in UK, some from school... Where did you build your house? I do like GC and once we have our own place we shall see.. Hubby struggling to get job, been 3/4weeks now.... Hope you all settle back in ok in time for beautiful spring/summer weather x keep us posted x

Guest Dave53
28c in the UK feels like 40c in oz.

Thats correct ... I was in Windsor about 2 weeks ago in 34degs , it was terribly oppressive and as uncomfortable as anything I've experienced in Australia in 28 years .

Dave C