TAFE

Mrandmrsh

To do what?

Short courses may be able to be done through an RTO who will have a set price, otherwise you either have to pay the full price (I'm assuming from the price quoted you don't have PR and are being charged overseas student fees), or wait until PR is attained and you get local price.

Otherwise you may be able to do online free courses and get assessment only. Need more info on what you're trying to do.

Nearly fainted when I was told the average TAFE course is $12-14,000, for 1 year, 3 days per week.

Does anyone know of any cheaper options?

That's nonsense. A law degree at Uni costs less than that.

TAFE costs depend on what course is being studied. Most domestic fees are in the $3-5k range. What sort of course are you looking at?

You're not looking at International TAFE fees are you? They're extortionate.

To be honest I'm out of my depth. My 18 year old needs to do something with his life. We're on 457 visas. I called TAFE for some advise and they told me $12-14,000 was the average price etc.

He's looking at Uni courses now but TBH I really don't understand it all.

Need to get some factual information from a reliable source.

Thanks, just looked but we do not qualify because he's classed as an International student.

He's found a uni course he wants, Australia citizens circa $9000, International students $37,000

That's nonsense. A law degree at Uni costs less than that.

TAFE costs depend on what course is being studied. Most domestic fees are in the $3-5k range. What sort of course are you looking at?

You're not looking at International TAFE fees are you? They're extortionate.

http://tafeqld.edu.au/course/10424/diploma-interactive-digital-media

Thanks, just looked but we do not qualify because he's classed as an International student.

He's found a uni course he wants, Australia citizens circa $9000, International students $37,000

............could he wait until a citizen...?

............as that's a huge difference in price....

............sorry don't know the visa rules and lengths till permanent resident and citizen....

.............but that's a lot of money..!

To be honest I'm out of my depth. My 18 year old needs to do something with his life. We're on 457 visas. I called TAFE for some advise and they told me $12-14,000 was the average price etc.

He's looking at Uni courses now but TBH I really don't understand it all.

Need to get some factual information from a reliable source.

Try to get him an apprenticeship. My son is a sparkie and once you're on an apprenticeship the days at Tafe come along free. He's since paid quite a lot to do top up courses himself that aren't cheap. He paid a lot to do his instrumentation course but it opens up a lot more job opportunities. More choice you have these days the better.

Try to get him an apprenticeship. My son is a sparkie and once you're on an apprenticeship the days at Tafe come along free. He's since paid quite a lot to do top up courses himself that aren't cheap. He paid a lot to do his instrumentation course but it opens up a lot more job opportunities. More choice you have these days the better.

Don't think he would get an apprenticeship as a temporary resident either. Just have to suck up the International fees unfortunately.

And people wonder why we're so negative about 457 visas! This is one of the traps - international student fees are absolutely horrendous, and the child of a 457 visa holder is an international student.

I don't know what his status would be if he went back to the UK for his education?

Does anyone know of any cheaper options?

I feel your pain. International student fees are a major issue for temporary visa holders and their children. Been there, done that.

PR will get your children domestic higher education fees.

Citizenship will allow your children to apply for their own student debt.

That summarises the "cheaper options".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAFE is ridiculously expensive for domestic students now, in my opinion anyway. The increases over the past few years have been outrageous and have put many young people and older returnees off from studying. It is no longer accessible to everybody.