BHS Teeters on the Edge: 11,000 jobs at risk

srh82

Yet according to some, the UK is booming!

Even in a booming economy businesses still fail, especially ones that have lost sight of there target market and USP. Even before we left the UK nearly 4 years ago I would have said BHS were going down hill, offering little in the way of an alternative to other stores around. The only surprise to me is that they lasted as long as they have.

I would say the UK is definitely not booming. Bhs was only bought out 12/18 months ago and now looks likes its headed to go into administration, that and TATA steel still haven't found a buyer! There could be a number of job losses in the pipeline.

Car industry not doing so bad but the latest new is 40+ car had their co2 emissions tested and they all failed. So looks like the manufacturers have been fiddling the figures to make the cars look environmentally better.

From what I've read even though Perth have had a slump in their employment figures overall they are still doing better than the UK.

Car industry not doing so bad but the latest new is 40+ car had their co2 emissions tested and they all failed. So looks like the manufacturers have been fiddling the figures to make the cars look environmentally better.

From what I've read even though Perth have had a slump in their employment figures overall they are still doing better than the UK.

I asked about the Australian car industry, and the UK has 5.1 percent unemployment and WA has 6 percent, but if it makes you feel better to kid yourself, then please don't let me stop you.

Even in a booming economy businesses still fail, especially ones that have lost sight of there target market and USP. Even before we left the UK nearly 4 years ago I would have said BHS were going down hill, offering little in the way of an alternative to other stores around. The only surprise to me is that they lasted as long as they have.
The article also mentions the steel industry not just BHS.

It all lies, Australia is doing so much better, Perth, now there is a boom town.

Oh, by the way, how your car industry doing?

Did I say Perth was doing better? no, am just pointing out according to some on here the UK is full of jobs? Well there goes another 11,000! Where are all the doom and gloomers that cant wait to tell you about thousands being paid off in a mine in Australia but forget to mention the big closures in the UK!

I asked about the Australian car industry, and the UK has 5.1 percent unemployment and WA has 6 percent, but if it makes you feel better to kid yourself, then please don't let me stop you.

I live in the north of England where unemployment is anyway between 6-9% dependent on where you live and we don't have a property boom like the south of the country. So suppose it relative.....

I live in the north of England where unemployment is anyway between 6-9% dependent on where you live and we don't have a property boom like the south of the country. So suppose it relative.....

True, unfortunately the North always seems to struggle with employment, where I live it's 0.8% so in respect of work there is plenty about.

Did I say Perth was doing better? no, am just pointing out according to some on here the UK is full of jobs? Well there goes another 11,000! Where are all the doom and gloomers that cant wait to tell you about thousands being paid off in a mine in Australia but forget to mention the big closures in the UK!
The UK is doing reasonably well I'd say, it's certainly full of jobs around here, that's why we choose to live in this part of the UK, as always some parts will struggle, can't see that ever changing to be honest, hopefully Perth will manage to turn things around, as will the whole of Australia.

The article also mentions the steel industry not just BHS.

There is one sentence in the whole article that mentions the steel industry. A bit of further reading (eg http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34581945) suggests that the steel industry's problem is partly due to demand still being lower than pre GFC but also a lot to do with imports of cheap Chinese steel (sound familiar?). I know nothing about how the UK economy is doing at the moment, and I probably care even less, but stating that the demise of one, rather poor, business is somehow an indication that Britain is not booming is pushing it a bit.

BHS has had big problems for a very long time - it was having issues before we moved to Oz - in 2008 and it has not got better since. It seems to have just not kept up with changing trends. Most of their clothes are pretty old fashioned and quality can be poor.

You would think the northerners would move to where the jobs are.

Perhaps they don't move because they can't afford to do so?

I still have an umbrella I bought in BHS nearly 20 years ago and it's almost as good as new also a tartan one I bought in Boots over 20 years ago - also in pretty good shape - unlike those almost disposable ones they sell in the supermarkets here. Rubbish.

Archived