Hospital appointments.

bristolman

Are you serious! Practice Nurses are highly skilled, highly educated staff. Perhaps if you weren't happy at the time you should of spoke up then. They are valuable members of a team, allowing Doctors to see more urgent or complex cases. If at any point I wasn't satisfied or felt my condition had changed I would of insisted in seeing a Doctor. It' s not the system to blame, just unfortunate circumstance, infections can worsen and change over time.

I'm sure you are right, what do I know I'm just a patient with no medical knowledge, took her at her word, neither you or I know if she should have referred me.

I did see my Dr. Immediately on my return to Oz. Stupid to argue when I was only saying what happened to me, still feel more confident about a trained Dr. diagnosing me, I am entitled to feel that. Yes in hindsight which is a wonderful thing I could have done what you say.

Still say it's the system at fault, or is it only that particular surgery that does that? Book to see a Dr. But see a nurse, that is till the main point I was trying to make.

In no way knocking nurses generally, so don't take offence.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you are right, what do I know I'm just a patient with no medical knowledge, took her at her word, neither you or I know if she should have referred me.

I did see my Dr. Immediately on my return to Oz. Stupid to argue when I was only saying what happened to me, still feel more confident about a trained Dr. diagnosing me, I am entitled to feel that. Yes in hindsight which is a wonderful thing I could have done what you say.

Still say it's the system at fault, or is it only that particular surgery that does that? Book to see a Dr. But see a nurse, that is till the main point I was trying to make.

In no way knocking nurses generally, so don't take offence.

This is a public forum so I'm allowed to voice my opinion, which doesn't make my opinion or argument stupid, you are allowed to feel that your care would of been better handled by a Doctor also, doesn't mean I have to agree with you. There are many surgeries that have nurse consultations instead of Doctor's in the UK. There is good and bad in both countries health system.

Edited by Lass81

my father is a doctor & he thinks the nhs is in serious trouble & lots of british doctors & nurses are leaving or talking about trying to leave due to the strain they are under trying to give good care when everything is being cut back & treatments for people arent as good as the could be & should be. not sure why anyone would want to pretend everything is fine when doctors & nurses keep saying its a mess & getting worse every day. people should be complaining so something can be done before its to late.

Someone I know helps care for a 90 yr old lady. The other week she had a heart attack and was blue lighted to hospital. The paramedics had to wait with her on a trolley in a corridor for over 6 hrs. So that ambulance was out of use all that time. The ambulance staff said that happens all the time. Not an ideal was to treat an old lady....or anyone else! Now it's. Not the NHS staff's fault but the system is crippled. Don't take it for granted and assume all is well just because you may not have had a problem yet.

It's awful and it happens a lot - and a lot more since the introduction of the 111 service. Too many ambulances taken away from genuine need to attend minor stuff.

People also go to A&E too easily. Some say it's because they can't get a gp appointment, which I can kind of understand - if you're worried, you want to be seen, but no one seems able to cope with even simple stuff anymore and need a medic to tell them they have a cold. Or those who've been ill all week, but decide Friday night is the night to go and sit in A&E with an ingrowing toenail.

I think it's amazing how the staff still cope in some of these places really.

Someone I know helps care for a 90 yr old lady. The other week she had a heart attack and was blue lighted to hospital. The paramedics had to wait with her on a trolley in a corridor for over 6 hrs. So that ambulance was out of use all that time. The ambulance staff said that happens all the time. Not an ideal was to treat an old lady....or anyone else! Now it's. Not the NHS staff's fault but the system is crippled. Don't take it for granted and assume all is well just because you may not have had a problem yet.

It's awful and it happens a lot - and a lot more since the introduction of the 111 service. Too many ambulances taken away from genuine need to attend minor stuff.

People also go to A&E too easily. Some say it's because they can't get a gp appointment, which I can kind of understand - if you're worried, you want to be seen, but no one seems able to cope with even simple stuff anymore and need a medic to tell them they have a cold. Or those who've been ill all week, but decide Friday night is the night to go and sit in A&E with an ingrowing toenail.

I think it's amazing how the staff still cope in some of these places really.

This is a public forum so I'm allowed to voice my opinion, which doesn't make my opinion or argument stupid, you are allowed to feel that your care would of been better handled by a Doctor also, doesn't mean I have to agree with you. There are many surgeries that have nurse consultations instead of Doctor's in the UK. There is good and bad in both countries health system.

Generalising whenI said stupid to argue not that you were stupid, but agree it didn't appear that way. So accept my apology, but please don't take everything so seriously. Have been a poster for years, am not in the habit of antagonising other posters, so often the written word can be misconstrued, and offence taken when not intended.

Have seen many a thread go adrift through a badly written comment when unintentional.

I haven't had any previous experience of a surgery having practise nurses who see patients. I lived in Asia for years before moving to Oz, and although my surgery has excellent nurses, they don't diagnose patients, I have absolutely no intention of starting an arguement, and apologise if my post inferred that.

I am obviously out of date with modern practices, but then I am in my 70's and although lots of my friends were nurses, non of them were practise surgery ones, so accept my ignorance of modern practises.

Edited by ramot

Generalising whenI said stupid to argue not that you were stupid, but agree it didn't appear that way. So accept my apology, but please don't take everything so seriously. Have been a poster for years, am not in the habit of antagonising other posters, so often the written word can be misconstrued, and offence taken when not intended.

Have seen many a thread go adrift through a badly written comment when unintentional.

I haven't had any previous experience of a surgery having practise nurses who see patients. I lived in Asia for years before moving to Oz, and although my surgery has excellent nurses, they don't diagnose patients, I have absolutely no intention of starting an arguement, and apologise if my post inferred that.

I am obviously out of date with modern practices, but then I am in my 70's and although lots of my friends were nurses, non of them were practise surgery ones, so accept my ignorance of modern practises.

I think some of a certain generation ramot look at practice nurses a bit like how Dr's receptionists used to be, budding matrons maybe? but then again maybe you are just a cranky old gimmer:wink:

my father is a doctor & he thinks the nhs is in serious trouble & lots of british doctors & nurses are leaving or talking about trying to leave due to the strain they are under trying to give good care when everything is being cut back & treatments for people arent as good as the could be & should be. not sure why anyone would want to pretend everything is fine when doctors & nurses keep saying its a mess & getting worse every day. people should be complaining so something can be done before its to late.

Exactly. So many of our friends (GPs, consultants, nurses) are looking to take early retirement, change career or leave England. Even those still in training are looking to take their skills elsewhere (drug companies, overseas, law, business).

The trust my husband works for has just been on a recruitment trip to India where they appointed several new consultants, which is great, but they will all need significant training in working for the NHS. It's a shame that no one wanted to apply for the jobs from this country though and we're losing the home grown talent.

I dont know know why my last post posted twice when I was replying to this one!

I think you're right. It is a different way of working and the role that some highly trained, competent nurses have here just doesn't exist in some other countries.

Practice nurses are different from Nurse Practioners, who are very highly skilled. We have Nurse Practioners who carry out endoscopies, colposcopies, minor surgery etc. as well as those employed in GP surgeries. They have been through years of training and although they still have the 'nurse' label, they are every bit as skilled as Drs in their field.

In countries where most Drs are still 'private' there seems to be a feeling that they have to protect their livelihoods, so are less willing to hand over anything, even the most menial procedures. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a different way of working.

Mind you, in a country where our health secretary tells us to google our child's rashes instead of going to the dr, it won't be long before they're training monkeys to carry out brain surgery!

Exactly. So many of our friends (GPs, consultants, nurses) are looking to take early retirement, change career or leave England. Even those still in training are looking to take their skills elsewhere (drug companies, overseas, law, business).

The trust my husband works for has just been on a recruitment trip to India where they appointed several new consultants, which is great, but they will all need significant training in working for the NHS. It's a shame that no one wanted to apply for the jobs from this country though and we're losing the home grown talent.

I dont know know why my last post posted twice when I was replying to this one!

my mother wants my father to leave as well. he keeps hoping if people complain enough it will get better but he always sounds so down when i talk to him these days. he fells like he owes it to people to keep going but my mother thinks he should look after himself.

I think some of a certain generation ramot look at practice nurses a bit like how Dr's receptionists used to be, budding matrons maybe? but then again maybe you are just a cranky old gimmer:wink:

Have we met!!!!? Too accurate to be funny!

I think you're right. It is a different way of working and the role that some highly trained, competent nurses have here just doesn't exist in some other countries.

Practice nurses are different from Nurse Practioners, who are very highly skilled. We have Nurse Practioners who carry out endoscopies, colposcopies, minor surgery etc. as well as those employed in GP surgeries. They have been through years of training and although they still have the 'nurse' label, they are every bit as skilled as Drs in their field.

In countries where most Drs are still 'private' there seems to be a feeling that they have to protect their livelihoods, so are less willing to hand over anything, even the most menial procedures. Nothing wrong with that, it's just a different way of working.

Mind you, in a country where our health secretary tells us to google our child's rashes instead of going to the dr, it won't be long before they're training monkeys to carry out brain surgery!

Thank you for explaining had absolutely no knowledge of Nurse Practioners, so it was little wonder I was a bit concerned,all is now clear. so I must have seen a Nurse Practioner not a practise nurse.

Edited by ramot

Yes it makes perfect sense for these highly trained nurses to take some of the pressure off the doctors. Doctors arent somehow special and the only ones able to learn to perform these things. It took my doctor 12 months almost to the day to diagnose a badly herniated disc so it's wrong to think they are in some way better than a highly trained nurse.

my mother wants my father to leave as well. he keeps hoping if people complain enough it will get better but he always sounds so down when i talk to him these days. he fells like he owes it to people to keep going but my mother thinks he should look after himself.

My husband was going to keep going for a few more years full time, but has decided to go this year (in one month!), but will go back part time as there is still stuff he wants to see through. Until recently he felt the same as your father, but he's fed up of all the politics now and having to fight for everything. We're looking at going back to Aus for a few years too - they still seem to want him!

There are so many factors to consider when deciding on a move back to the UK, I don't think the issue of medical care should even be on the list. If you have a chronic illness, you'll get adequate care in both countries. If you're seriously ill, you'll get adequate care in both countries. If you want more than that, there's always the option of private health insurance in both countries.

Having said that, access to a doctor certainly does depend on your location. I have yet to see a doctor in Southampton after a year! I am asthmatic and need monthly prescriptions. I registered with a doctor (the only one taking on new patients in my area) and asked to make an appointment to set up my prescriptions. Instead, I got a brief phone call with a doctor who, sight unseen, wrote the prescriptions I asked for.

About six months ago I had an attack of cystitis. I was in pain and needed an urgent appointment. Again, I was given a phone "appointment" instead of a face-to-face consultation, was given a prescription and that was that.

A few weeks ago, I felt the dosage of my asthma medication wasn't quite right and rang up to get an appointment. On explaining my issue, I was referred to a nurse instead - she asked me a few questions and agreed that it should be changed. Two days later the new prescription was ready to pick up.

Bottom line - it is working, but it does seem a little weird that this doctor's practice is merrily prescribing things to me even though none of their doctors has never met me or taken any kind of medical history. That wouldn't happen in Oz.

My wife had to see a GP when we were recently in Perth. It is a very different experience. They have much more time, and are much more thorough. She went in with a bad back, but he also discovered she had a uti that she had been unaware of. Wouldn't have happened in the UK. Australian gp's aren't better, but they do have more time.

My wife had to see a GP when we were recently in Perth. It is a very different experience. They have much more time, and are much more thorough. She went in with a bad back, but he also discovered she had a uti that she had been unaware of. Wouldn't have happened in the UK. Australian gp's aren't better, but they do have more time.

I have never experienced that at all to be honest. My old GP took a year almost to the day to diagnose my herniated disc so she was hardly thorough and the average GP visit time is apparently the same in each country so how are they able to spend more time with you ? A visit to my GP here is exactly the same as it used to be in Brisbane. How thorough a GP is comes down to the individual.

• 2 weeks later...
It does take a little bit of time. But it mostly depends upon your area

Unfortunately I have inherited my Dad's side of the family's dickie heart. Just to be on the safe side my GP rang a cardiologist in Launceston for me to have a good old heart check up. He rang the cardiologist last Wednesday and my appointment is on Friday. No waiting time at all really.

Unfortunately I have inherited my Dad's side of the family's dickie heart. Just to be on the safe side my GP rang a cardiologist in Launceston for me to have a good old heart check up. He rang the cardiologist last Wednesday and my appointment is on Friday. No waiting time at all really.

I find the NHS really awful in our area. The only way to get an appointment on the day is to go to the surgery and queue. I had a recent problem with a persistent cough - i e longer than six weeks duration so the GP referred me to a consultant. I was informed that I would be invited to ring and arrange an appointment in approximately twenty two weeks. I paid privately and was seen the following Week. And no, I don't feel guilty about jumping the queue ... Because something was picked up that could have been very much more serious if I had waited. The NHS is consistently underfunded by the government who, I believe, will then be happy to privatise it, having convinced the general public that it no longer works and isn't worth saving. Jeremy Hunt has helped them tremendously by inflicting the new junior hospital doctors contract on us all ... He apparently can't understand why the doctors concerned say it is unsafe to try to stretch an already stretched workforce even further. I just pray that I don't get any serious illness until (hopefully) it is sorted out.

Yes I have heard a few horror stories about the NHS in Wales unfortunately. I had my appointment yesterday and really can't say enough good things about the NHS around here. We waited about 10 minutes, a specialist checked out any suspect spots, moles etc and found nothing wrong.

I find the NHS really awful in our area. The only way to get an appointment on the day is to go to the surgery and queue. I had a recent problem with a persistent cough - i e longer than six weeks duration so the GP referred me to a consultant. I was informed that I would be invited to ring and arrange an appointment in approximately twenty two weeks. I paid privately and was seen the following Week. And no, I don't feel guilty about jumping the queue ... Because something was picked up that could have been very much more serious if I had waited. The NHS is consistently underfunded by the government who, I believe, will then be happy to privatise it, having convinced the general public that it no longer works and isn't worth saving. Jeremy Hunt has helped them tremendously by inflicting the new junior hospital doctors contract on us all ... He apparently can't understand why the doctors concerned say it is unsafe to try to stretch an already stretched workforce even further. I just pray that I don't get any serious illness until (hopefully) it is sorted out.

First, I don't like to explode myths, but this is NHS spending

"When the NHS was launched in 1948, it had a budget of £437 million (roughly £15 billion at today’s value). For 2015/16, the overall NHS budget was around £116.4 billion."

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/about/Pages/overview.aspx

Second, from my experience, two weeks will be your average wait in Oz for something similar - possibly longer.

I have just had an incident - awoke to incredible pain. My NHS doc made an appointment that morning, same morning I was sent by them to get blood tests at the hospital. Bloods back and it seems I have gout. Follow up appointment with the GP this week (5 days after first). Consultant booked for next week.

Yes that has certainly been our experience as well, very little waiting time even though the few things we have been referred for have been non serious. I do feel it would be very different for both of us if we lived in or near one of the major cities.

First, I don't like to explode myths, but this is NHS spending

"When the NHS was launched in 1948, it had a budget of £437 million (roughly £15 billion at today’s value). For 2015/16, the overall NHS budget was around £116.4 billion."

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/about/Pages/overview.aspx

Second, from my experience, two weeks will be your average wait in Oz for something similar - possibly longer.

I have just had an incident - awoke to incredible pain. My NHS doc made an appointment that morning, same morning I was sent by them to get blood tests at the hospital. Bloods back and it seems I have gout. Follow up appointment with the GP this week (5 days after first). Consultant booked for next week.

Yes it's bizarre how some people think the NHS is being deliberately underfunded when in fact funding is increasing year on year.

I hope your gout improves, I have no doubt whatsoever the NHS will do absolutely everything to help.

Today I called for a doctor appointment. The first one available was next Wednesday at 3.30pm and even that appeared to be a struggle going off the tap tapping of the key board and umming and awwing going on. Fortunately I no longer work in the city so I can make it, but otherwise it would have involved organising a half day off work or god knows how long to wait before the next available appointment at a time that might actually be convenient for the working person.

This has been my experience with the NHS since as long as I can remember. Has made no difference whether I have been in a busy inner city area or in a rural location like I am now.

Isn't it amazing how different people have such different experiences, most don't seem to have to wait a week for a doctor's appointment. I must admit if that happened to me I would be upset, it never has though, not even close. We find the same with our NHS dentist, if urgent I phone in the morning and get in that day but if not it's within a week.

In fairness how can doctors be expected to have endless appointment's available for the working man to suit their hours.

Edited by bristolman