Hospital appointments.

bristolman

Well I hope these disgruntled British doctors wing their way over to us- with the extra population now in Melbourne we have to wait a couple of days to get an appointment. Used to be immediate. We also have to wait for surgery if we are uninsured and that is why so many of us pay private health insurance even though we still have to pay 'the gap' between what is refunded and what is not. I have also noticed what is classed as 'emergency' surgery is only immediate life saving stuff these days- being in pain doesn't count. On balance and going by what relatives in the UK say, I would say it is still very slightly better in Australia though.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I hope these disgruntled British doctors wing their way over to us- with the extra population now in Melbourne we have to wait a couple of days to get an appointment. Used to be immediate. We also have to wait for surgery if we are uninsured and that is why so many of us pay private health insurance even though we still have to pay 'the gap' between what is refunded and what is not. I have also noticed what is classed as 'emergency' surgery is only immediate life saving stuff these days- being in pain doesn't count. On balance and going by what relatives in the UK say, I would say it is still very slightly better in Australia though.

Sounds exactly like here, a couple of days to see your GP or same day at the walk in clinic. There has always been a wait for surgery in the public system, years ago in Geelong I had to wait a few months, longer because of being cancelled twice. I think you would agree though the difference between the 2 countries is tiny. Things in Australia have changed markedly in recent times.

Well you're implying that it's business as usual, which it clearly isn't. Morale among junior doctors has never been worse, prompting many to pack their bags for Aus

Not just juniors, consultants, gps, nurses and now even the pharmacists seem to have had enough.. It's not only Aus they're going to - Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Canada seem popular too.

Not just juniors, consultants, gps, nurses and now even the pharmacists seem to have had enough.. It's not only Aus they're going to - Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Canada seem popular too.

Like I said though these people go in both directions. They are no different to 'ordinary' migrants.

That's true, however, the numbers applying to leave has increased recently. My husband has signed more papers just recently than he has before. That said, the trusts are going out on recruitment drives to India (and no doubt other countries), so maybe they'll increase those to fill vacancies too.

Like I said though these people go in both directions. They are no different to 'ordinary' migrants.

The problem is bristolman is the doctors are having to deal with a mass influx of immigrants who quite rightly can't take the load being forced upon them. No wonder they are despondent.do any of these migrants get vetted for health checks like they do in oz?TB was eradicated in the UK now it's on the rise there, wonder why?.

The problem is bristolman is the doctors are having to deal with a mass influx of immigrants who quite rightly can't take the load being forced upon them. No wonder they are despondent.do any of these migrants get vetted for health checks like they do in oz?TB was eradicated in the UK now it's on the rise there, wonder why?.

TB was never eradicated from the UK and just like in Australia there are still cases although there are much worse diseases than TB in the world to worry about.

what a load of horse ****, do you blame everything on the Muslims?

TB was never eradicated from the UK and just like in Australia there are still cases although there are much worse diseases than TB in the world to worry about.

That's true, however, the numbers applying to leave has increased recently. My husband has signed more papers just recently than he has before. That said, the trusts are going out on recruitment drives to India (and no doubt other countries), so maybe they'll increase those to fill vacancies too.

I was just reading article about this but I can't post links on this tablet for some reason. It was saying only a very small % of those doctors who apply for a certificate to work abroad actually follow through and leave. Of course any that leave is too many.

My GP is a lovely lady from Yorkshire. She's been here 4 years. My next door neighbour is a GP at the same surgery and she's originally from Mauritius. I don't think any of the 6 doctors at the surgery I attend are Australian born.

GP Surgeries have always been like that, my old GP in Bath was from Australia and lots of the GPs in Brisbane are Asian. Here they can also be from e everywhere. Mine is English but there is also a Middle Eastern doctor who is very good and a Welsh doctor.

I was just reading article about this but I can't post links on this tablet for some reason. It was saying only a very small % of those doctors who apply for a certificate to work abroad actually follow through and leave. Of course any that leave is too many.

This may be true until recently, however, the number of forms my husband has signed recently has increased significantly from the number in the past. Time will tell how many do actually leave I suppose, but taken with the number we personally know who are retiring early, going part time or leaving entirely, it should be worrying.

My husband has five days left at work now before he retires. He was going to stay longer, but has decided that things are too uncertain, so will go and return part time. He'll do this for a year while we wait for our kids to graduate, come back from abroad or decide on their futures, then we'll make another decision. Stay part time here, or do another stint in Australia. The number of vacancies here is staggering and he can pick and choose what he wants to do. Seven years ago there were very few vacancies which is why he stayed in Australia when I came home with the kids.

beach pig should start worrying though. All these immigrant drs entering Aus, he may need treating by one one day :shocked:

beach pig should start worrying though. All these immigrant drs entering Aus, he may need treating by one one day :shocked:

Haha, yes I was wondering about that, with his obsession with immigrants, especially Muslim immigrants it could make life very uncomfortable for him.

There was likely a handbag fight and the moderator removed the post that the Muslim comment was in reference too.

Had a look through the thread i cannot see any moderator action at all, no edits or deletes.. so i must admit im baffled where 'Muslim's' came into it too, someone mentioned migrants coming to the UK and another poster threw the muslim card out there from what i read..

Anyways lets get back on track or this thread will end up in CTF.

Cal x