4 years on, the good, the bad and the ugly.

bristolman

Well 4 years almost to the day our adventure started and we arrived in the UK. We arrived at the airport with no accommodation booked so went to the nearest Travelodge and booked into that for a week. We then moved onto a mobile home down in the SW which was great and we ended up really enjoying ourselves. Our Aussie born and bred kids were almost 11 at the time and they just loved it and really did look at it all as an adventure.

From there we did the tour of real estate agents looking for a house and although we had planned on buying in Wiltshire or Somerset we ended up looking at a house in Herefordshire which our kids fell in love with. Because of this we put in an offer and had it accepted, less than 3 weeks later we moved in and the second part of the adventure started. The previous owner had done quite literally nothing to the house for close to 40 years so it was a blank canvas, a 350 year old blank canvas lol.

Fortunately the house was structurally sound as well as being perfectly liveable if somewhat dated.

Cars were bought, school was found and settling in started.

We didn't settle in quite immediately and we even spoke about a return to Australia but that was very short lived and we set about starting our new life in the country.

It is very easy to underestimate just how good living in the country really is, we were used to suburban life and it really was an eye opener.

As far as the practicalities of life in England well we are finding it cheaper overall, some things such as groceries, car insurance, general insurance and utilities are cheaper but council tax (rates) are higher and in fairness there is no comparison between our house here and the one we sold in Queensland. We also find telephone and Internet to be cheaper but TV more expensive by virtue of the TV license.

The area we live is beautiful, clean, safe and very low crime.

Our kids absolutely love it and rarely even mention Australia which in one way is a little sad as it is where I grew up and is Important to me but that may change as they get older.

The weather generally in the 4 years has been temperate, very little extreme cold and it isn't often we aren't able to do something outside if we want to.

Can I see myself back in Australia ? Not really BUT never say never.

For anyone contemplating the move 'home' rest assured the majority of the doom and gloom you hear is fantasy and just isn't reality.

Well 4 years almost to the day our adventure started and we arrived in the UK. We arrived at the airport with no accommodation booked so went to the nearest Travelodge and booked into that for a week. We then moved onto a mobile home down in the SW which was great and we ended up really enjoying ourselves. Our Aussie born and bred kids were almost 11 at the time and they just loved it and really did look at it all as an adventure.

From there we did the tour of real estate agents looking for a house and although we had planned on buying in Wiltshire or Somerset we ended up looking at a house in Herefordshire which our kids fell in love with. Because of this we put in an offer and had it accepted, less than 3 weeks later we moved in and the second part of the adventure started. The previous owner had done quite literally nothing to the house for close to 40 years so it was a blank canvas, a 350 year old blank canvas lol.

Fortunately the house was structurally sound as well as being perfectly liveable if somewhat dated.

We didn't settle in quite immediately and we even spoke about a return to Australia but that was very short lived and we set about starting our new life in the country.

It is very easy to underestimate just how good living in the country really is, we were used to suburban life and it really was an eye opener.

As far as the practicalities of life in England well we are finding it cheaper overall, some things such as groceries, car insurance, general insurance and utilities are cheaper but council tax (rates) are higher and in fairness there is no comparison between our house here and the one we sold in Queensland. We also find telephone and Internet to be cheaper but TV more expensive by virtue of the TV license.

Our kids absolutely love it and rarely even mention Australia which in one way is a little sad as it is where I grew up and is Important to me but that may change as they get older.

The weather generally in the 4 years has been temperate, very little extreme cold and it isn't often we aren't able to do something outside if we want to.

For anyone contemplating the move 'home' rest assured the majority of the doom and gloom you hear is fantasy and just isn't reality.

Delighted for for you that your plan worked for you! Funny how one mans meat is another mans poison! You describe my life here and here am I wanting to move to where you came from! Why did you want to leave then ? Are you an Australian family? I too love the idea of my kids growing up where I have although my oh is not from ni. Living in warmer climate with access to warmer climate produce is a simple wish but mainly to be absorbed in a more multi cultured society is the key for our family, Continued good fortune for you all!

Here is a wonderful place there is no doubt!

Delighted for for you that your plan worked for you! Funny how one mans meat is another mans poison! You describe my life here and here am I wanting to move to where you came from! Why did you want to leave then ? Are you an Australian family? I too love the idea of my kids growing up where I have although my oh is not from ni. Living in warmer climate with access to warmer climate produce is a simple wish but mainly to be absorbed in a more multi cultured society is the key for our family, Continued good fortune for you all!

Here is a wonderful place there is no doubt!

No one reason we decided to leave, lots of little things I suppose. I didn't like how Australia was becoming Americanised, I didn't like alot of its environmental policies and priorities, I just wasn't 'in love' with Australia anymore. I grew up in Australia, my wife and I have been citizens since the 80s and our kids were born in Australia. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a more multi cultured society as Australia is certainly no more multi cultural than here.

Thank you for you best wishes and hope your move goes well for you.

Nice one bristolman! :smile: Everything has worked out very well for your whole family. Herefordshire is lovely too. Let me add that over the years I returned on visits to the UK I didn't witness any doom and gloom. Everywhere I went seemed to be prospering but obviously there must be pockets that are not. Like you, I very much prefer living outside of cities and Britain's countryside is second to none. You've chosen a lovely place to live.

Great to hear your story and happy that it is working out so well for the whole family. It is great when you are all on the same page and it is clear that you have embraced the move positively which is a must if it is to be a success. It is certainly true that the UK has a lot to offer and the Welsh border country is a beautiful area especially when the sun shines.

There are a lot of differences between rural life in the UK and suburban life in Oz and I suspect if I was 20 years younger than I am and I did not love warm (25C+) weather so much I too would favour the UK.

I can see elements of Americanisation over here in Oz as the scale of the continent has more synergy to America than to Europe. I felt that the UK was also becoming Americanised in certain respects (private ownership of healthcare and key utilities, a litigation culture, as well as the ubiquitous fast food and all-you-can-eat) but in recent years have sensed some small push back on that. One of the reasons it would be sad for the UK to Brexit as I think European culture is a positive for the UK and anything that puts some space between Britain and Europe is not such a good thing.

Great Story bristolman, Rock On.

I would have thought that over time after coming home, we would have taken the UK for granted all over again, but no, quite the opposite, we see everything differently, its really a lovely country to live in despite all its problems.

We chose the right place to live for our needs.

We couldn't move now, we are too settled and part of the village furniture all our friends and family are near or within reasonable driving distance....plus the years are rolling on now and I value the peace & tranquillity of the countryside more & more as time passes, but I have had had some good job offers for way down in England and would be lying if I said I didn't feel tempted. Love it down there.

I love where I am from but it has a long way to go to embrace, acknowledge and integrate with other cultures. Yes the 'less suburban ' Rea where I love does have a lot to do with it but can't go far in Ireland to get that hit we Re looking for for our family. So we might aswell give it Go to be a foreign family in a foreign land than one in my own land I guess.

Nice one bristolman! :smile: Everything has worked out very well for your whole family. Herefordshire is lovely too. Let me add that over the years I returned on visits to the UK I didn't witness any doom and gloom. Everywhere I went seemed to be prospering but obviously there must be pockets that are not. Like you, I very much prefer living outside of cities and Britain's countryside is second to none. You've chosen a lovely place to live.

Thank you Jock, yes our countryside really is second to none as you say and there is so much of it, something that seems to be forgotten. I seem to think this place chose us to be honest, we didn't e end know where Herefordshire was before we bought a house here lol.

No the tales of doom and gloom are much less common now but we heard quite a few from people before we left Australia, a few thought we were mad because it rains here every day and there is no room to move, the usual stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear going pretty well.we have been in Perth four years and have had a great time,we started in Rockingham which I found to isolated but great beaches.Then moved to Perth city which was great for more things to do shops restaurants festivals.really good area near to my wife's work much closer.I was gardening in these areas.

i have missed my family a lot especially my eldest daughter who is nearly 17 and my mum recently has been very ill,so quite a distance.

we get our full citizenship with in a year and think we are heading back for the children's secondary school.We are unsure where to go and think maybe Kent or Chester as we can't afford London as I gave back our council house in putney.

loking forward to a new adventure and see what happens.

glad things are working out for you. Love the horror stories you hear regards moving lol

my chodren are 8 and 9 and seem to like both places.My missus is pretty happy here as well.

glad it's going well regards neil

Gosh - 4 years! Doesn't time fly?! Good to hear you're still enjoying the adventure and you have chosen a fab party of the country. We will be there next weekend (closest Premier Inn to Hay and to Builth Wells' wonderful wool show) and we are looking forward to it no end. So if you see a bag lady with a swag of wool tottering around on Sunday give me a wave! My DH will be the one laden with second hand books!

Gosh - 4 years! Doesn't time fly?! Good to hear you're still enjoying the adventure and you have chosen a fab party of the country. We will be there next weekend (closest Premier Inn to Hay and to Builth Wells' wonderful wool show) and we are looking forward to it no end. So if you see a bag lady with a swag of wool tottering around on Sunday give me a wave! My DH will be the one laden with second hand books!

Yes, 4 years, I can't believe it myself. Hay on Wye is a lovely area, enjoy the wool show.

we started in Rockingham which I found to isolated

I agree 100%. You did the right thing getting out of Rockingham. I had a British friend down that way who eventually sold up and went back to UK.

Perth itself can feel quite isolated from civilisation, but Rockingham is seriously isolated.

Its a stupidly long commute up to Perth everyday too which I think you would soon get pretty sick of.

There were a couple of suburbs in Rockingham you would not want to go anywhere near back in the day.

A huge concrete sprawl way out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.

The houses are super cheap and hard to sell for very good reason.

Not as bad as Baldives I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

You are living the dream my friend! Well my dream at least. So glad it's worked out for you, I hope to write this exact same post one day!

Where about in herefordshire do you live as we are looking at that area at present. I saw a few posts on the net thou saying lots of polish and bulgarians in that area. We are originally from bham so family there didnt want to be to far but dont want big city living also looking at evesham area.

Where about in herefordshire do you live as we are looking at that area at present. I saw a few posts on the net thou saying lots of polish and bulgarians in that area. We are originally from bham so family there didnt want to be to far but dont want big city living also looking at evesham area.

Treat the move back the same way as you should treat the move out. Research job availability and things in order to make the decision. The UK is small and its possible to get to most places easily - particularly in the Midlands. For example, we are in Berkshire which is the south. But could easily visit Brum for a day - about 1 hour 30 mins.

We are pretty much right in the middle of Herefordshire. I can't say we have noticed an inordinate number of Poles or Bulgarians and they don't impact our lives one way or the other, no more than any other nationality. Worcestershire is very nice as well.

• 5 weeks later...
I can see elements of Americanisation over here in Oz as the scale of the continent has more synergy to America than to Europe. I felt that the UK was also becoming Americanised in certain respects ...

Whether UK or Australia, surely we would rather become Americanised than Chinesied. The Chinese are coming by the truck load (or plane load) to immigrate and/or buy up our national businesses and iconic brands. We had better do something before they colonise us!

Whether UK or Australia, surely we would rather become Americanised than Chinesied. The Chinese are coming by the truck load (or plane load) to immigrate and/or buy up our national businesses and iconic brands. We had better do something before they colonise us!

Australia has always been very Americanised in lots of ways, much more so nowadays. Something I like here is that there are few signs of this country becoming Americanised. I'm not sure one is better than the other as far as being preferable but yes China is certainly on a bit of a spending spree, here in the UK as well.