If interest rates increase by 2%

Sustain

Strictly that would only be a 40% increase on the interest element of the mortgage payment. As a chunk of the payment is repaying the capital this element would remain static. Still a big increase but not 40% overall.

We have no mortgage so would welcome increased interest on our savings.

What would be the affect on your finances?

With a majority of home owners making payments at 40% of their disposal income

With interest rates at 4% to 5%

2% on 5% being 40% increase ???

For that to happen you would have to have a massive reduction in oil price leading to a collapse in exploration which would then come back to haunt as an oil price shock in a few years time causing unprecedented inflation... Oh hell...

In Canada many people would be absolutely screwed (the property market here is very similar to Oz). I think in Vancouver the average person is spending something like 157% of their income already. It's insanity.

The big difference here (I think??) is that mortgages are typically only done for 5 years at a time. So when it's up for renewal, those barely making payments would be in deep trouble.

A return to more normal conditions would be welcome, although a 2% increase would still be on the low side. It should have happened yonks ago of course to tame the housing market. It will likely impact those that live dangerously, but anybody with sense would surely have known interest rates (like the boom in WA) are not permanent fixtures and factored that in accordingly. It will assist in correcting the housing market excesses for one thing. I expect them to be introduced slowly though in an attempt to blunt the impact.

Like another poster here, a rise in interest rates will be highly welcome on a personal level.

Strictly that would only be a 40% increase on the interest element of the mortgage payment. As a chunk of the payment is repaying the capital this element would remain static. Still a big increase but not 40% overall.

We have no mortgage so would welcome increased interest on our savings.

Having said that a large percentage of montages written over last 7 years were interest only for first 5 years

No possibility of a rise for years.

A further cut likely on the cards mid year.

Reminds me of the never ending resource industry boom. No change for years. Lowering interest rates have been showing to be a blunt instrument with banks likely to not even pass on anyway. Remind me, but of late it has been upward movement brought on by the banks themselves.

Negative rates have been showing to be ineffective in other parts.

No possibility of a rise for years.

A further cut likely on the cards mid year.

I would estimate two years.

Fortunately I have no debt, so not really bothered. But I could go to rented and wait, because the UK is due a housing correction.

We are currently overpaying on our mortgage every fortnight to the extent that a 2% increase in interest rates would just bring the required payment up to what we are currently paying anyway.

I was listening to John Symonds on the radio last night and he said that something like 40% of mortgages are some 22months in advance. he was also quoting some other good numbers on Equity and the like, an overall rosey picture. ................cue flag!

For interest rates to rise we would have to see improvements to the economy and a rise in inflation. Neither seem to be on the horizon. Interest rates in Oz are higher than just about anywhere else at the moment so if there's a move it will more likely be down. Won't make any difference to us, we've paid off the mortgage but keep a small loan going at the same rate.

For interest rates to rise we would have to see improvements to the economy and a rise in inflation. Neither seem to be on the horizon. Interest rates in Oz are higher than just about anywhere else at the moment so if there's a move it will more likely be down. Won't make any difference to us, we've paid off the mortgage but keep a small loan going at the same rate.

We have a line of credit mortgage (the best thing since the invention of the wheel) which is in credit but comes in useful as prevents overdrawn charges in normal account. However on the 6th May this will be transferred onto our investment property which means for the first time at the age of 61 I will fully own my own house which will be totally unencumbered, ok it comes with a wife, but other than that it's:cool:.

Hang in there folks and you will get there, hopefully in a shorter timeframe than me.

We have a line of credit mortgage (the best thing since the invention of the wheel) which is in credit but comes in useful as prevents overdrawn charges in normal account. However on the 6th May this will be transferred onto our investment property which means for the first time at the age of 61 I will fully own my own house which will be totally unencumbered, ok it comes with a wife, but other than that it's:cool:.

Hang in there folks and you will get there, hopefully in a shorter timeframe than me.

Sounds like you're doing fine with an investment property too.

Archived