My son has found love on facebook with woman in oz Advise Please

lillypond

Perhaps she thinks it's a ticket into the UK? Australia does have a terrible man drought.

Not in any of the under 55 age groups which have more males than females. She'd have buckley's getting into the UK I would think.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my question it would be far easier for her to come over to the uk and then take it from there .

Why would it be far easier for her???? She's got a job. Your son is unemployed I would suggest it is easier for him to come? No offence to you, I'm sure your son is lovely and wonderful, but if I was friend/family of the lady concerned I would be more concerned about her. Thinking he could be using her for a visa? There was a story such as this on the news here in Oz very recently.

This is my question it would be far easier for her to come over to the uk and then take it from there .

Its just as easy for either of them to visit the other on a tourist visa. However when it comes to marrying and emigrating moving to Audtralia is much MUCH cheaper and easier (though much slower) than migrating to the UK.

She certainly sounds like she has a motive in mind. 'Falling' in love on Skype, to the extent of wanting to wed, without first seeing or meeting almost defies credibility. Although every possibility that she may have personal issues herself. Something to perhaps look out for on Skype when speaking, without making it too obvious. Besides that little you can do besides be a support when it goes belly up, if they go ahead, which is most likely will.

As others stated the likelihood of her getting permanent stay in UK sounds unlikely with the strict rulings in place.

I am meeting her on Skype this week so hope to find out whats going on its all very worrying im not sure which web site i think another friend on facebook introduced the two of them .

Why dont you broadcast live on here then we be able to give you an accurate judgement of what we think of her intentions?

With all due respect your son is 38, whilst i admire your natural concern for him, unfortunately we all have to learn from our own mistakes. A women can easily persuade a man into 'feeling in love' maybe it is suspicious maybe it's actually legitimate but ultimately what has your son got to lose? He's has no job, he has few savings, he is a fully grown man that can make his own decisions. He should really research the possibility of a visa more thoroughly before jumping to marriage and assuming the best, and perhaps actually get to know this person. I think you should express your concern and ensure that when/if he does decide to come to Australia that you have address's and contact details, but at the end of the day it's his choice, you can't stop him. It's not a 3rd world country it's pretty safe out here.

Good luck to him if at the age of 38 he has found a chance of happiness. What has he got to lose? I can't see any downside for him except a broken heart if things don't workout.

Possibility of being used for access to UK? Call me cynical but not a believer of true love over the internet or Skype, without having ever met, I'm afraid.

Possibility of being used for access to UK? Call me cynical but not a believer of true love over the internet or Skype, without having ever met, I'm afraid.

To be fair works both ways, but i think the main concern here from the mother is him actually going to Australia in the first place, in which he has nothing to lose, if he wants to jump into a rushed marriage like a idiot well then he'll probably learn his lesson in the long run.

I think Mums concern here is partly due to her son having Aspergers which might or might not cloud his judgement

I'm not sure how i missed that part of the post, if that is the case please ignore ALL my previous comments. There is obvious cause for concern here, i think at the end of the day it's down to mum to assess the situation. Other than us saying it's a stupid idea to get married off the bat which of course it is. I can completely understand the concern here with her sorting a wedding venue and dress etc. I think if lilypond is meeting her on skype she should certainly be investigating her motives.

Hell, if I was the mother, I'd be encouraging the son to make sure he says he's entering Australia to get married when he gets to passport control.

That'll put paid to the whole sorry affair. Call me a complete cynic, but you only ever meet someone when you meet someone: better he be forcibly returned than end up potentially in an extremely dire situation (all the more so with Aspergers, I have a cousin with it - and cannot say she'd react well if things went south in any situation).

Most people with Aspergers (I don't like that title and prefer "Autistic spectrum"), act very logically, not on impulse, and are intelligent enough to manage their own affairs at that age and many are asexual. I think he's a very lucky man if it all works out for him and he should at least be allowed to form his own judgement. Just because they're autistic doesn't mean that they're stupid, far from it.

Most people with Aspergers (I don't like that title and prefer "Autistic spectrum"), act very logically, not on impulse, and are intelligent enough to manage their own affairs at that age and many are asexual. I think he's a very lucky man if it all works out for him and he should at least be allowed to form his own judgement. Just because they're autistic doesn't mean that they're stupid, far from it.

There is no way I implied this lad is stupid Johndoe I am just concerned that's all

Hell, if I was the mother, I'd be encouraging the son to make sure he says he's entering Australia to get married when he gets to passport control.

That'll put paid to the whole sorry affair. Call me a complete cynic, but you only ever meet someone when you meet someone: better he be forcibly returned than end up potentially in an extremely dire situation (all the more so with Aspergers, I have a cousin with it - and cannot say she'd react well if things went south in any situation).

Not necessarily.

Its not illegal to enter Australia on a tourist visa with the intention of marrying. Unlike the UK where you need a specific visa that allows marriage, its quite acceptable to enter as a tourist and marry someone whilst you're here. I know several people who have done it, some of whom returned home to the UK and then migrated at a later date with a Spouse Visa.

Entering as a tourist with the intent of staying on and not eaving at the end of the holiday is another matter......

I can understand why you would be very worried.

From a visa stand point they are going around things the wrong way, and DIBP will not look very favourably to a couple who met online when meet for the first time in person marry as this does not show a genuine and continuing relationship.

The cost of Partenr visas are very high and with the concerns around passing the medical professional advice from a registered migration agent would be advised.

If they want to marry and apply for a partner visa by they way their relationship had developed they will need to meet in person at least once before being eligible for a prospective marriage visa (so going out to meet her even getting engaged - definitely not married). When back in the UK he can apply for the PMV which takes the same amount of processing time at partner visa (9-12 months) once granted they will have 9months to marry and apply for a partner visa. The partner visa is in two parts the temp 2 years first and if still together the Pernament visa would be granted.

By marrying the first time they have met in person and only spend 3 weeks together it would be very hard for them to show they are in a genuine and committed relationship for the Parnter visa, and it's a lot of money to throw away as if the visa is refused there is no refunds.

Your son is looking at about 4 years wait before getting a Pernament visa if the relationship broke down at any point before then he would need to leave Australia.

Archived