How is Perth

thl4kel

As what has been mentioned there are upwards of 200 applications for most HSE positions in W.A. now, so I would say out of that two hundred your going to see a few with masters backed up with Cert IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma (Aussie OHS Quals) and strong W.A resources experience. Even if you have NEBOSH its not recognised in OZ. If I go back to OZ it wont be to work in HSE. I dont really use Seek as a gauge of what is available, its not regulated any way I am aware of, recruiters can post jobs without there being a job.

Years ago you could get the Saturday Western Australian Newspaper and there would be page after page of jobs and you could gauge the job market better, because newspaper adverts always cost a fair bit of money, especially half a page adverts, recruiters only placed adverts their candidates paid for. But over the years companies stopped advertising in the paper and last time I looked there was a couple of pages of jobs.

Seek is cheap to run an advert and recruitment companies have accounts where they have x amount of adverts to place a month so they just use them up on nothing rather than waste them. If your a recruiter its your job to constantly see what talent is looking for work in the area and then float them to potential clients who may or may not have work..

Edited by thl4kel

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi thl4kel, we are thinking about a move to Perth and I also work in Health and Safety with a Masters degree in OHS. Although the mining industry has been in decline, surely roles for OHS in the city must be available? I have regular updates from reed seeking OHS advisors, managers etc. Thoughts?

The problem is that if there are roles in Perth, there are now masses of staff laid off from resources sat in Perth looking for these roles.

• 2 weeks later...

It may be better if you are in NE England rather than wasting your money coming to declining WA, trying your luck in London.

Fyi - Brisbane ain't pretty either and yes I do work in oil and gas.

good luck - if you have a job, hold onto it!

Good decision - Perth is not the place to be with no income - in fact most of Australia now I would say. Australia has changed so much - it is so expensive - Perth more so than other states but other states also so much more expensive, Australia years ago used to be an amazingly cheap place for eating out, pubs petrol, groceries - everything was so cheap - these days have long gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update, I've got myself close to striking a deal for my previous role in Karratha. The package is worth about the same as it was in 2014 but I'm expected to travel to site in my own time and we now have to work an extra 1/2 hour per day. The general feel from my former employer is that there is still a lot of opportunity in the LNG industry but clients are driving a far harder bargain. Hopefully it comes off as securing employment aids any move and as mentioned by many being skint in Perth is not appealing!

If you're not O&G specific but could cover OH&S roles in many construction sectors then NSW is worth a look. The infrastructure market here is looking for the next 10 years as running at 4-5x the typical level of annual spend that it has been for the past 10 years. We are struggling to find an retain staff at the moment

Hi New Jez, thats good to hear, I worked in the Oil and Gas field,worked on Barrow Island on the Gorgon Project. It was a FIFO role Health and Safety and Training. When I was leaving Perth last year it was getting quieter for that kind of work. So not sure if those kind of opportunities are still there.

Not as many opportunities about as there once were but I've not noticed any major downturn. My son is a sparkie working FIFO and has never been out of work. Me and his Mum worry a lot more than he does. He's up on the wheatstone project at the moment, massive development up there. It's 4 on 1 off but 10 hour days, which he likes more than shift work and 7 day swings.

Elizabeth Quay is open and there are a lot more small bars and places to go than a year ago. You won't recognise the roads round the airport. Freeway trip would be about the same I reckon, some of the jobs that have been cut back have been office based in Perth, so the freeway might be less packed than a year ago. Still as good as ever is perth.

Perth is in a transition period the boom is over I personally think when I went to Perth six years it, that I caught the tail of the boom. Too many people headed to Perth for FIFO. Rentals, house prices went too high, competition for jobs was tough.

Perth has a two speed economy, there was the construction workers on FIFO, the miners and then the people working in Perth, (not all i.e St Georges Terrace where people were and probably still are on 350k pay, Contract, Commercial Managers/Lawyers), but a lot of people in Perth are on 45k - 75k. I was told Perth was a lot nicer place prior to the boom so maybe it will go back to being like that.

LOL when I was on Gorgon the pool cleaner was on 300k, had to work night shift and was on a 26/9 roster.. Thats not really the way things should be. 15 months ago with the exchange rate that was amazing cash, still is with the bad rate now.

I've heard those stories about cleaners being on that kind of money and frankly I don't believe it. Unless they were working 24 hours a day and 24 hours a night. I know what my son as a sparkie has been earning and while very good money the hourly rate is not much better than when he worked in Perth. They get extra for working long hours and weekends, which they should. A couple of girls he went to school with were cleaners on FIFO and they weren't on anywhere near that much. Decent money for cleaners but closer to 100k. Tradies are on a lot more.

Good decision - Perth is not the place to be with no income - in fact most of Australia now I would say. Australia has changed so much - it is so expensive - Perth more so than other states but other states also so much more expensive, Australia years ago used to be an amazingly cheap place for eating out, pubs petrol, groceries - everything was so cheap - these days have long gone.

Have you ever lived anywhere prices have gone down? We've just had the wifes sister staying with us and she was pleasantly surprised by the cost of eating out in particular. She did a lot of clothes shopping too. She expected it to be much more expensive.

The info in this thread has really thrown a new perspective onto my thoughts about moving back. I was just have a look at share prices on companies like Monadelphous, their shares have dropped from $30 to $6 and there not the only ones, not really a great sign.. On a plus note I had a look on Seek and it looks like theres more work in Brisbane than WA.

Does it happen a lot just in the oil/gas/iron ore industries? Not that often but a lot of it is to do with Saudi and China for various reasons and it will have a knock effect..

I remember six years ago I had just arrived in Perth and a guy i met on a FLT training course said to me (he was a Brit) to have a happy live in Perth you need $120k household income. The best I managed to achieve was $200k, working FIFO on Gorgon. Gorgon always paid a bit more because its a Class A nature reserve. I never managed to get the 120k in Perth came close but it was a one year contract.

Think your mate must have wanted a boat, jet ski, couple of 4 wheel drives, kids in private school and a 5 bed detached in a beachside suburb. Me and wife think Perth is the bees knees and we've never had that much income in 24 years here. Neither of us has worked in mining or oil and gas, don't feel like we've missed out on much though. Maybe we are too easily pleased?

I've heard those stories about cleaners being on that kind of money and frankly I don't believe it. Unless they were working 24 hours a day and 24 hours a night. I know what my son as a sparkie has been earning and while very good money the hourly rate is not much better than when he worked in Perth. They get extra for working long hours and weekends, which they should. A couple of girls he went to school with were cleaners on FIFO and they weren't on anywhere near that much. Decent money for cleaners but closer to 100k. Tradies are on a lot more.

Yes this is correct Paul, currently the cleaners on the Gorgon project are on $120,000 as are most of the domestic unskilled staff.

Think we can all agree Safety is now on the back foot and not a career option for most in WA.

Safety and OHS are still important but you know how it is when money gets tight for companies. My son was working in Port Headland when the downturn started. FMG had a whole office dedicated to environmental & aborigine concerns. He came home with the offices full, went back and rang us to say that anyone that wasn't involved with getting ore on the boats had been layed off. Offices nearly empty. Read about BHP's results today and the losses were just about all to do with the fracking business in the US and they have set aside a lot for the debacle in Brazil. Their iron ore business in Aus was still a standout performer.

Think your mate must have wanted a boat, jet ski, couple of 4 wheel drives, kids in private school and a 5 bed detached in a beachside suburb. Me and wife think Perth is the bees knees and we've never had that much income in 24 years here. Neither of us has worked in mining or oil and gas, don't feel like we've missed out on much though. Maybe we are too easily pleased?

I think the 120k figure is a realistic figure for a family to live well but not in shear luxury, that's if you base that on someone having the average WA mortgage of $332K and perhaps one decent car and one older car, then a 120k should see you live quite well. Most Aussies get by on quite a lot less than 120k.

In saying that, a lot of new arrivals will have to borrow a great deal more than 332k to buy a property, the average figure will include a lot of people that have been in the market for a long time, hence lower mortgage average.

When we first arrived in Oz back in 2009 I earned circa 100k, that provided an OK life for a family of 5, we had rent of about $430 per week and the car was bought and paid for. Our outgoings were fairly minimal, we managed quite a few holidays including the Gold Coast etc. and a mum & dad weekend in Sydney so it was doable. Again though if we had to buy a property for say 500k, things would have tightened up a fair bit even with a 20% deposit. We also saved a couple of hundred bucks a fortnight for a rainy day.

Everyone lives differently but I do think some prospective migrants do get quite scared by the figures banded around on here and other sites.

Wow, I am totally jealous that you are back in the UK, really I am, The Job market in Perth, I have worked for some major organisations in my career, HOwever, here in Perth getting a job / role depending on your area of expertise is Totally difficult and the reason there are soo many properties available is because everyone is leaving, Interestingly there are more people from Australia migrating to New Zealand highest ever in 30 odd years, that has to be indicative of something, I have been unemployed for five months and I have totally had enough of living here in Perth, Western Australia, and I am in the process of getting things in order for me to leave as soon as possible, my recommendations would be for you to apply for a job from the UK before even considering coming back here, unless you are pretty wealthy then problem solved.

The nightmare is finding work, have over 200 plus applications and no one gets back to you (even a reply) that's me done n dusted and i'll be returning anytime soon..

Wow, I am totally jealous that you are back in the UK, really I am, The Job market in Perth, I have worked for some major organisations in my career, HOwever, here in Perth getting a job / role depending on your area of expertise is Totally difficult and the reason there are soo many properties available is because everyone is leaving, Interestingly there are more people from Australia migrating to New Zealand highest ever in 30 odd years, that has to be indicative of something, I have been unemployed for five months and I have totally had enough of living here in Perth, Western Australia, and I am in the process of getting things in order for me to leave as soon as possible, my recommendations would be for you to apply for a job from the UK before even considering coming back here, unless you are pretty wealthy then problem solved.

The nightmare is finding work, have over 200 plus applications and no one gets back to you (even a reply) that's me done n dusted and i'll be returning anytime soon..

Thanks for the insight although I’m sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time.

The job market in the UK for Oil & Gas people is extremely tight with huge payoff’s having occurred, I get the feeling Perth has suffered the same fate from reading forums and discussing the situation with ex colleagues. I am well into to negotiations for my previous role in the LNG industry in WA I have also applied for a couple of manufacturing roles that are related to my skill set. What I will say is that with my type of work, there was always a huge shortage of people and if I applied for a role the response was almost instant.

Since I began applying for jobs again I’ve noticed a great deal of simply no response from potential employers and had a few knockbacks.

If you are coming back to the UK and you don’t have to work in an Oil & Gas based role then the job market would appear to be quite good.

For the likes of myself with O&G backgrounds things are extremely grim and set to get even worse, if I do land the WA role I’m negotiating at present I’ll be a great deal more grateful for it this time around!

Thanks for the insight although I’m sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time.

The job market in the UK for Oil & Gas people is extremely tight with huge payoff’s having occurred, I get the feeling Perth has suffered the same fate from reading forums and discussing the situation with ex colleagues. I am well into to negotiations for my previous role in the LNG industry in WA I have also applied for a couple of manufacturing roles that are related to my skill set. What I will say is that with my type of work, there was always a huge shortage of people and if I applied for a role the response was almost instant.

Since I began applying for jobs again I’ve noticed a great deal of simply no response from potential employers and had a few knockbacks.

If you are coming back to the UK and you don’t have to work in an Oil & Gas based role then the job market would appear to be quite good.

For the likes of myself with O&G backgrounds things are extremely grim and set to get even worse, if I do land the WA role I’m negotiating at present I’ll be a great deal more grateful for it this time around!

Thanks for the update I appreciate that, interestingly I also worked for the LNG (americano) organisation for only one year, and it was fine up to a point, I am no Engineer (unfortunately) but at least it gave me some useful experience in the area of work that I am in, Essentially, I don't usually work in the Oil and Gas world, I actually work in the financial world (London) and it does appear to be more prosperous there currently, and to be honest I really do miss working in that area, as I just find the people are totally professional (in most cases) ahem! having said that I do know the americano organisation is also based in London (Bech..L ) or Chevvy ronny I'm sure you know who they are...I also hope you land this role to which you have applied for, you are having a lot more success than I my friend, as with the roles I am currently applying for there are at least 175-200 other applicants, I used to work in Government here too, until December 2015 they put all jobs on Freeze (six month duration) so all the applications that I had put out which included 5 page essays just like you do at University which I still find a really strange procedure, why did we go to Uni, surely that in it's entirety, so lost all my applications in a moment, and I have to be honest that was pretty much my hope gone right out of the window so to speak, don't get me wrong I am still able to gain Interviews at various Universities ect but to no avail, I even found out Dept of Fisheries (one I did actually pass the selection criteria and Interview for re advertised and after making some inquiries to the agency they explained the were looking for another candidate with more experience, you can see how this can start to frustrate you in the processes involved here...perhaps I need to call it quits, sometimes in life it's good to know when it's time.. My last point as I do talk a lot, In London, the most important part of your application is YOU, they want to speak to you directly, and introduce YOU to their colleagues to gauge an idea of your personality and how you will fit in a team, there not interested too much in your resume, they take that as a given, but it's all about the person and how they interact with others which is fundamental, here is not quite the same from my own experiences..