Could this be our opportunity??.........please help!!

vikkeytymo

Hello PIO's

Hope everyone's had a good Christmas and New Year

I've not been on here for a while as I thought our chance or opportunity would never be.......BUT.......my brother lives in Karratha and where he works are recruiting Chef's so we have a possibility of a 457 visa through them. I didn't really want a temp visa as we have 4 children, so I would love some information if possible please.

1. I am thinking of staying behind with the children for my daughter to finish her GCSE's next year, is that possible or do we all have to go together? Are GCSE's recognised for her to continue education over there?

2. How long do we have to wait until we can apply for permanent residency? Is it an easy process?

3. We have 2 dogs and don't want to leave them behind, I have researched a bit and the cost for travel and quarantine is approx £3,000 each. Does that sound correct?

4. My oldest daughter is doing her A levels will she be able to apply for university over there with them?

Hope someone can shed some light and help us make this decision

Thank You

Vikkey X

Sorry to be the voice of doom....

457 is a temporary work permit - coming to Australia with kids around university age on a 457 visa is playing with fire. 457 does not automatically lead to PR. I am sure kids will have no problem getting into uni here But....... You will need a LOT of money to send your child to university here as an overseas student - you will pay overseas fees and receive no loans so will have to pay all costs upfront. You get local fees as a PR but need to be a citizen for loans...So a 4 year minimum wait for citizenship if you were lucky enough to get PR after 457.

I suspect a role as a chef on a 457 is really for young, single, unencumbered people who want a temporary adventure in the sun..... Of course if you wait till your kids are all settled at British uni's you could come on your own....

Just to add in, what Chortlepuss has said is right about the one going off to uni... Prohibitively expensive, maybe she could stay in uk and complete her studies there. However, with you and the other kids, it CAN be done, but it won't be an easy road. We came in 2011 on a 457 with my 15 year old stepson and on 26 Jan I'm going to get my citizenship! My advice would be to check with the potential employer about whether they would consider sponsoring for PR, either now or at a future stage. If they're really not keen, it's unlikely to lead to anything permanent. I take it chef isn't on sol?

Hi, Thanks for the replies.

If any of my children said they weren't going, I wouldn't go, I just couldn't leave them behind for any amount of time.

Chef is on the sol but my Hubby is 45 and only 18 months experience post qualification, so fails to get the 60 points.

The place looking to bring him over, my brother works for and is really close with the owner so possibly would do PR, I will most definitely ask them that.

I thought you could apply for PR after 2 years now on a 457 from 2012?

Vikkey x

You can apply for PR immediately if you're sponsored by an employer. It's visa 186. So perhaps you brothers employer would be amenable to that? Citizenship is 4 years and you'd need that for your kids to get student loans for uni, otherwise it's upfront fees, which are really expensive! I'm not going to tell you how to parent, only you know your family dynamic...BUT, I know you say that you wouldn't leave without your daughter, but once she goes off to uni, you'll only see her on holidays (if she goes away from home) so she could still come visit you then?

Right, I get you now.

I'll find out if they would be up for doing that.

maybe it's a possibility for her to take time out and if we get citizenship she can apply to uni then, she's only 16, 17 in April and doesn't really know what she wants to do yet, so that may be a good option? I will speak with her tomorrow.

Regarding school fees, on a 457 we have to pay $4000 a year so would that be waivered if we were on a 186? X

You can apply for PR immediately if you're sponsored by an employer. It's visa 186. So perhaps you brothers employer would be amenable to that? Citizenship is 4 years and you'd need that for your kids to get student loans for uni, otherwise it's upfront fees, which are really expensive! I'm not going to tell you how to parent, only you know your family dynamic...BUT, I know you say that you wouldn't leave without your daughter, but once she goes off to uni, you'll only see her on holidays (if she goes away from home) so she could still come visit you then?

186 direct entry would not be possible due to it requiring a skills assessment and 3 years post work experience, you would be looking at the transitional route which requires 2 years with 457 employer and willing 457 sponsor to nominate for PR.

Being in in a regional area it might be possible to go on a 187 visa, which may not require a skills assessment. This is a PR visa but requires you to stay with the employer for 2 years, due to your OH age this would be the visa to look at first before the 457.

you still require an employer to sponsor you for PR after being on the 457 it is not automatic and the employer is under no obligation to sponsor, if your OH did not gain PR before he turned 50 there would be no way to gain it in the furure as the occupation would not be able to gain age exemption.

A few issues.

First, as mentioned university. But also, if she later went back to the UK she would then be regarded as an international student / none resident in the UK.

Depending on course, international student fees in either country can easily be in the tens of thousands per year.

In in order to apply for pr now even if employer sponsored, he would need to pass a skills assessment. Something he may not be able to do with so little experience.

Then, do factor in that Karratha is undergoing a pretty big economic downturn. So jobs are far from safe for many. If he were to lose his job on a 457 he would only have 90 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor (many companies can't) or you all have to leave the country.

Then seriously look at what it is like to live up there. It is a fairly rough mining town and hot as hell and prone to cyclones.

Personally, I think it would be too big a risk for a family with 4 kids.

GCSEs are all but irrelevant but you would have to pay for your remaining three kids to go to school anyway on a temporary visa in WA. That'll be $4k pa.

I certainly wouldn't be bringing a kid over to do Uni either not unless you are very rich and they never want to study in UK again (they will be International there if you return). You'd be faced with having a kid live hundreds of km away anyway because Uni options in Karratha aren't thick on the ground.

Could I just ask, Just been thinking........

I am a qualified hairdresser but have no post qual experience, do I actually need experience to apply for a permanent visa or is it just for the awarded points.......If there is no set minimum experience requirement then I may be able to forfeit the experience section if I can get 20 points on the IELTS? X

He actually does love it......my nephew (his son) was there for 18 months and he loved it, they said I would love it also? I have actually googled pics and google earthed Karratha and I'm like hmmmmmmm??? The climate is what's making me dubious really X

I worked for a recruitment agency that had an office up there. I never went to visit, but we always struggled to get permanent staff for it, so we used to send Sydney people up there on short stints. They all hated it - but to be fair, it's probably different if you're just there temporarily, and apparently the air conditioning in the office was dodgy so that wouldn't have helped.

My concern would be the heat, and also the lack of things to do for kids. Also of course, it is going to be absolutely critical for you to get PR before any of your children is ready to go to college or university - because you won't be able to leave Karratha while you're on the 457, and there are no colleges or university within commuting distance. So you'll be separated from your child by a long distance anyway.

It reminds me that one of the reasons we struggled to get staff for our Karratha branch, was that the cost of housing was too high. Which is the reason it's tough to get teachers to stay, too.

The bit about schools is worrying.

Edited by MaggieMay24
Removed link to other forum.

Could I just ask, Just been thinking........

I am a qualified hairdresser but have no post qual experience, do I actually need experience to apply for a permanent visa or is it just for the awarded points.......If there is no set minimum experience requirement then I may be able to forfeit the experience section if I can get 20 points on the IELTS? X

you will need a skills assessment, you'll need to prove qualifications, work experience and you'll need to provide videos of you doing different hairdressing techniques. There are only 2 states currently sponsoring hairdressing the NT and Tasmania and from my experience it is tough getting in!

It reminds me that one of the reasons we struggled to get staff for our Karratha branch, was that the cost of housing was too high. Which is the reason it's tough to get teachers to stay, too.

Teachers get hugely subsidised government/department owned houses and higher salaries as part of the package, so that is not the issue. The remoteness is what puts teachers off long term, though some do love it enough to stay.

Edited by MaggieMay24
Fixed quote

As I understand it from your earlier posts this 'opportunity' in Karratha has been there for some time. The fact that you haven't gone yet speaks volumes and I suspect you know that this move would be a mistake.

My brother mentioned it a while ago but then the owners had a bit of trouble financially so nothing came of it until now. Thank you for all the advise and opinions I am most definetly taking it on board x

I have heard how expensive it is but our housing would be subsidised also through the company. Im currently weighing up the pros and cons..........I dont know whether to just go and grin and bare it to just get over there and go from there???? X

Dogs, we are paying about £3600 for two dogs including Quarantine for 10 days, but cost depends on size of dog and the crate made for them I thing, ours our Miniature Dachshunds.

That's a good price......mine are shih tzu's, so a little bit bigger I think? Thank you I know approx what I'm looking at now x