What do you miss

Kai

I don't really miss anything - might be a different story if I wasn't luck enough to go back for a holiday every year or so though. I've been here for so long now, I'm not sure what you can or can't get here that you can get in the UK. I don't go shopping when I go back to the UK. Too busy travelling around.

I think you're bound to miss a few things when you first arrive. Whether you still miss them years later, depends on your attitude.

When I arrived in Oz 30 years ago, you didn't have a choice - you just had to get used to Australian brands and models, because British stuff just wasn't available. I think that was a good thing, because you'll be surprised how quickly you adapt. By the time I'd been in Australia 10 years, every time I went back to the UK on holiday I missed my Australian brands!

Nowadays you'll find all the supermarkets have a section for world foods - British, South African etc - so the temptation will be to go on buying Tunnocks TeaCakes or whatever your weakness is. I think it's a bad thing because it makes you keep thinking about "back home". You get on so much better if you commit to being an Australian.

The bigger question is how much/if you'll miss family, friends, and culture, which are not so easily replaceable. Some people do, some people don't, it's very individual.

We love our life in Australia and don't miss anything from the UK other then family. It's quite hard having young children and having no family support (especially when I spend 6 months of the year offshore, so it's pretty tough for my wife), but hopefully in time we'll be in a position where we can have a nice long holiday in the UK.

I don't miss much now a days, at first you 'pine' for things but its quite easy to find replacements if you look. I think the 2 things id buy if i could would be Pickled Red Cabbage and Bury Black pudding,lol.

On saying that no matter how many chippys you try ,you won't find one like a UK one unless of course it is a UK one like Chumley Warners.

Cal x

On saying that no matter how many chippys you try ,you won't find one like a UK one unless of course it is a UK one like Chumley Warners.

This is a good example of what I mean. In Sydney where I lived, you'll find Brits bemoaning the fact that you can't find a "proper" English fish'n'chips - but nowadays I've got used to the Australian version and actually prefer it. In fact I thought I was looking forward to getting a good old fashioned British fish supper, but I've found I can't stand them now! I had a beautiful fish and chips in a pub in Stratford a few weeks ago, but it's the first edible fish'n'chips I've had since returning.

Friends, Family and one particular slow-cooker mix that I can't find a decent substitute for over here!!

I like having Chumley Warners occasionally, but also like the Aussie chippy. I've got used to the curry, although I still hate that the Madras is coconutty!!!

I found that everything consumable in the Uk can be substituted.

I missed loads of things at the beginning.

mainly food lol, so went all out on a purge first time back, haha it Didnt agree with me. Got a funny tummy :laugh:

second time home, I Didnt even bother with food.just went clothes shopping, not because I can't get stuff here, but I was on holiday and had some spare coin to spend.

Now the the only thing I miss is a Chinese, made for the English market and not the Asians:confused:

everything else I can get if I want, ie English chippy, the most yummiest Indian, British crisps, hendersons relish, whaterever, its all here.

I wouldn't have come here any earlier, cos I was having a ball, we timed it right to suit us, so while we miss family and friends, we weighed it all up, we knew the advantages outweighed the cons.

I don't miss much now a days, at first you 'pine' for things but its quite easy to find replacements if you look. I think the 2 things id buy if i could would be Pickled Red Cabbage and Bury Black pudding,lol.

Cal x

My local IGA sells picked red cabbage and there's a good butcher who does black pudding but not like the ones from Burry.

To the OP, I agree with others I think initially you miss the familiarity but after a while you find products you like as alternatives. I got the kids some quavers the other day and they said they weren't like they remembered - you just get used to other things.

I got the kids some quavers the other day and they said they weren't like they remembered - you just get used to other things.

Yes, that's what I found time and time again - I'd buy something I remembered as yummy and think, "did I really used to like this?". The taste is never quite what you remembered!

This is a good example of what I mean. In Sydney where I lived, you'll find Brits bemoaning the fact that you can't find a "proper" English fish'n'chips - but nowadays I've got used to the Australian version and actually prefer it. In fact I thought I was looking forward to getting a good old fashioned British fish supper, but I've found I can't stand them now! I had a beautiful fish and chips in a pub in Stratford a few weeks ago, but it's the first edible fish'n'chips I've had since returning.

We are looking at going back to the UK next year for a holiday. My daughter hasnt been there since she was 3 and no doubt like you ,she will prefer Aussie stuff because that's what she has grown with and that's what she knows. We get used to things when we have spent year after year, doing it or eating it and thats why we miss certain food or things when we can't get them/ use them.

Cal x

My local IGA sells picked red cabbage and there's a good butcher who does black pudding but not like the ones from Burry.

To the OP, I agree with others I think initially you miss the familiarity but after a while you find products you like as alternatives. I got the kids some quavers the other day and they said they weren't like they remembered - you just get used to other things.

Now your just making me jealous !!! lol, off you trot, you have my address and know where the post office is,lol

Cal x

i found myself self liking the fish and chips there too although it's often pollock or hoki which isn't quite as nice as good old cod (with plenty of salt and VINEGAR!)

I have to agree with a few post on here. I thought I missed a lot more than I actually did! I thought i missed cheap clothes, English fish and chips, cheap food, nice smooth roads :cute:

But now I'm back i think food in Coles is often really quite reasonable, clothes are cheaper in Kmart than Asda and those sleeping policemen are soooo annoying!

I wouldn't trade my log fire and the Christmassy weather for all tea in Target though. Cold blast coming down from the north later this week....bring it on!! :xmas7:

Reckon I may be the only one to say this but not missing anything at all. When in UK we made every effort to buy local, seasonal produce and do the same here. There are some unfamiliar veggies and fruits which I haven't a clue what to do with so need to educate myself there. Some things are a little different such as the chocolate bars though they have familiar names. Prefer the UK versions but doesn't stop me happily eating the Oz ones.

I have always been very unfussy when it comes to food in particular though.

Archived