perth house prices

paul1977

I've got to admit my house is tidy, only because there is only husband and me these days, never was tidy when kids at home, and when any of my family visit plus children it descends into chaos again and I love it.

whoops better not change the original thread.

Edited by ramot

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I've seen it:wink: You have a lovely home. Homely is where it's at. People often say they feel 'at home' in my house because it has a comfy relaxed feel. I always wonder if they mean messy? Lol

For me, homely is when I feel comfortable enough to take my shoes off (and not because they have a new carpet) and curl up on their sofa lol

Oh they're always welcome. My house is 'lived in' and mismatched. Not dirty but not show home. Not very good at minimalism. I always get tidy envy in other peoples homes.

You won't get that at ours .... and closed doors cover a multitude of sins lol

At the end of the day, you can only use so much of your house, we really don't 'need' 2 living areas as a 3 person family. It would be nice to have a better layout when family and friends stay though. A lot of the newer bigger homes seems to have huge expanses of 'space' and little else, with a tiny courtyard. I wouldn't pay for that. Poor value. Still a lot of bargains to be had in some far flung areas if you don't need to work....I can dream...

You should have a look around Morley or similar era as they may be more to your needs. The older houses tend to be smaller house, bigger block. That's why the vandals knock them down and fill them with villa's.

Edited by newjez

I'm not sure Australia can go far with interest rates with the danger of a collapse of the housing market. What a mess we are all in. A little insight could have prevented the worse excesses. I guess the shock of the GFC, that threatened the capitalistic model as we know it , put the wing up governments world wide.

If the aud plunges, the govt may need to raise rates to defend the aud. That is the nightmare scenario.

I don't think it will be catastrophic. But I can't see it being a good thing.

Personally, I think it will be the effect on China that will really put the boot into Perth. The end of qe gave us an insight into what may happen.

Edited by newjez

You should have a look around Morley or similar era as they may be more to your needs. The older houses tend to be smaller house, bigger block. That's why the vandals knock them down and fill them with villa's.

Yes that's what we live in now, smaller house on big block. The layout isn't great though for guests and privacy, 1 bathroom all bedrooms up one end of the house. Would like an open plan kitchen diner too.

I think you just described me :wink:

It is interesting if you consider the following example.

Imagine a pom in 2008 - he works in oil and gas in the UK - earns a good wage, owns a house outright worth £400,000

GFC strikes.

This pom gets made redundant, his house drops in value to £300,000

This pom decides to migrate to Australia. He gets a job in Perth on 4x his UK salary.

He leaves his house in the UK as - he may want to return, he doesn't want to sell it at a discount to what it was worth, and the exchange rate is 1.5

He could only afford a starter home in Australia for $450,000

He decides to rent a very nice house in Perth by the sea.

Come 2015, and he may want to return to the UK, as he has lost his high paying contract.

Or, he may take a lower paying maintenance job.

He gets his house in the UK valued. It is now worth £600,000. At current exchange rates, that will give him around $1.3 million AUD

With the added bonus that the 1.3 million perth house was probably still worth 1.3 million or more when he first moved to Perth.

Whatever he decides, he's done pretty well out of it.

Yes that's what we live in now, smaller house on big block. The layout isn't great though for guests and privacy, 1 bathroom all bedrooms up one end of the house. Would like an open plan kitchen diner too.

Could you get an extension and change the layout. Lots of California bungalows in north Perth, Inglewood, mt Lawley have done that. Could be the best of both worlds. Builders are idle and cheaper now too.

There is a theory that rates in Australia will need to rise when the US raises.

The US hadn't raised rates for such a long time. It is unprecedented. It could be a millennium bug moment, or it could be a financial tsunami.

Cool the beers, get the pop corn and grab a front row seat.

Governments around the western world (UK in particular) are mooting a cashless economy and as stated by some BOEngland bod this is so that they can be more creative with interest rates, that is, negative interest rates... That is how keen they are to keep house/asset prices extremely high. And remember, housing people has nothing to do with today's housing/property markets, just there for speculation and a storage of money for the well off and dubious inflows from China etc.

Morley was cheap for donks. Great location, if a little too suburban for my tastes. A real estate agent told me years ago that there was an issue with a lot of the soil houses were built on that kept prices low. No idea as to the validity of such a claim and not heard anything sense. Hardly surprisingly, with negatives are not allowed these days.

Governments around the western world (UK in particular) are mooting a cashless economy and as stated by some BOEngland bod this is so that they can be more creative with interest rates, that is, negative interest rates... That is how keen they are to keep house/asset prices extremely high. And remember, housing people has nothing to do with today's housing/property markets, just there for speculation and a storage of money for the well off and dubious inflows from China etc.

Yes sadly increasingly the case. Our bigger cities bare witness to this. How long can it continue? OK while the majority still do well through owning a house and applaud criminal, insane house inflation, but numbers of disenfranchised people who are not on the gravy train are increasing. The cost of putting a roof over ones head will impact on all avenues of life. This includes work mobility to child raising. Society at one point will increasingly dysfunction and prices increasingly come under attack. Endangering the entire economic model if not modified.

Could you get an extension and change the layout. Lots of California bungalows in north Perth, Inglewood, mt Lawley have done that. Could be the best of both worlds. Builders are idle and cheaper now too.

Possibly. Haven't really considered it tbh. Would take away some of my garden and involve a lot of 'ground flattening' Neighbourhood not 'ideal' either. Seems easier and possibly cheaper to move. Not a bad idea though as I love the houses feel.

Possibly. Haven't really considered it tbh. Would take away some of my garden and involve a lot of 'ground flattening' Neighbourhood not 'ideal' either. Seems easier and possibly cheaper to move. Not a bad idea though as I love the houses feel.

When you add up costs and stamp duty, could be an option. Lots of factors that only you can weigh up.

When you add up costs and stamp duty, could be an option. Lots of factors that only you can weigh up.

Yep. I think there are too many aspects to change. Would be a lot of work and also take away from my garden areas. Which could work if we removed the double garage which actually takes up heaps of space. Then there's fencing and landscaping. It'd get bigger than Ben Hur. I think it's simpler to move! Maybe.

Yep. I think there are too many aspects to change. Would be a lot of work and also take away from my garden areas. Which could work if we removed the double garage which actually takes up heaps of space. Then there's fencing and landscaping. It'd get bigger than Ben Hur. I think it's simpler to move! Maybe.

I'm renovating at the moment. Believe me the costs mount up without end. More done, more see need doing. By no means a big house either.

I'm renovating at the moment. Believe me the costs mount up without end. More done, more see need doing. By no means a big house either.

I can imagine. If I knew I'd still want to be here in 10 years id do it but too much to see still. Maybe stay in this house another 4 or 5....see what happens.

I think we (I) bought our present home with heart not head, despite that it's a lovely home but realistically gardens too much and too many 'jobs' to do. We've done a bit of landscaping, new aircon, new french doors recently but really needs new kitchen, new doors and some windows, flooring, bathroom too small and wasted space in formal lounge. Next time will try to be more practical. When had it valued last year agent said would not pay to do up as all adequate but just not to my spec

I still feel for us buying a house in Perth was a good thing, even though we bought in the boom and have had it go down in value.

Our mortgage payments to start were the same as we were paying in rent, it cost v little to secure a home of our own.

18 months ago when we bought, it was a 30 year mortgage, by the end of this year, hopefully it will be down to 18 years. And we haven't even had to make any extra payments.

weve kept the UK house on, so hopefully between the two, we can have a nice retirement.

Never, after arriving in Aus, as pennyless, in our forties, could I imagine we should be so fortunate.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, a chance for another house, in a new country, while having no savings!!

take it or leave it, your choice

I'm not sure Australia can go far with interest rates with the danger of a collapse of the housing market. What a mess we are all in. A little insight could have prevented the worse excesses. I guess the shock of the GFC, that threatened the capitalistic model as we know it , put the wing up governments world wide.

I remember reading a Post on here something about the Australian economy collapsing and it was slated by many people. It was based on the WA economy and housing market. The poster got a real bashing on his/her views but it seems it has now come true. So there were alarm bells but people were blinkered. Only fools rush in!

Why not convert the double garage to bedrooms for the kids?