My travel thread

Quokka2005

We were out on a road that takes you to kal.

I'm really having second thoughts about this fruit picking. I found out it works out to be around $12.50 each bin. I know people say you just have to work hard but I seriously doubt I could do one in an hour so it wouldn't even work out to be even anywhere near min wage so I might not even get my visa anyway. I'm so stressed a it all.

I got a right weirdo phoning me from gumtree today too

Give it a couple of weeks, if it's pointless and you aren't going to get your visa move on and do something else.

Think about all the worrying you have done along the way and then think about how it's all worked out - was there any need to worry??? :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have wasted quite a bit of time and money though. Someone me that these working hostels are only interested In getting you enough work to cover their rent. My friend was in a hourly paid job and now she's been chucked off and onto the citrus now. I just wish it was hourly paid

We were out on a road that takes you to kal.

I'm really having second thoughts about this fruit picking. I found out it works out to be around $12.50 each bin. I know people say you just have to work hard but I seriously doubt I could do one in an hour so it wouldn't even work out to be even anywhere near min wage so I might not even get my visa anyway. I'm so stressed a it all.

I got a right weirdo phoning me from gumtree today too

To be honest, if I was considering the fruit picking lark I would head off to the South West, Margaret River way. I don't like kal or anywhere round it one bit. South west is much nicer.

To be honest, if I was considering the fruit picking lark I would head off to the South West, Margaret River way. I don't like kal or anywhere round it one bit. South west is much nicer.

You and every other backpacker, it ain't that easy....not to mention her friend with benefits is off to Uni in SA ;)

Its about getting the 2nd year WHV. Which you either want or you don't. No one gets rich fruit picking or doing any of the regional work for their 2nd year. Everyone is in the same boat and hopefully people break even or earn a bit and get room and board for the duration. Lots of people work hard, are tired doing it but get it done as they want that second year. Means to an end and sometimes you just suck it up and get on with it for what it will give you.

If you really don't want to get the second year, don't do the regional work. If you do want it or the chance to return to Aus at a later date and use it, then just get on and do the regional work while you still have time. It might be hard work yes, but I think a few months of it isn't a bad thing. I was never happier than when on the farm. If you are afraid of the amount of work it will probably/possibly be, then chances are you'll talk yourself out of doing it. TBH I think there are worse things than farm labouring/work (sitting in an office at a desk having to talk/deal with other people would be my idea of hell work wise tbf).

Its about getting the 2nd year WHV. Which you either want or you don't. No one gets rich fruit picking or doing any of the regional work for their 2nd year. Everyone is in the same boat and hopefully people break even or earn a bit and get room and board for the duration. Lots of people work hard, are tired doing it but get it done as they want that second year. Means to an end and sometimes you just suck it up and get on with it for what it will give you.

If you really don't want to get the second year, don't do the regional work. If you do want it or the chance to return to Aus at a later date and use it, then just get on and do the regional work while you still have time. It might be hard work yes, but I think a few months of it isn't a bad thing. I was never happier than when on the farm. If you are afraid of the amount of work it will probably/possibly be, then chances are you'll talk yourself out of doing it. TBH I think there are worse things than farm labouring/work (sitting in an office at a desk having to talk/deal with other people would be my idea of hell work wise tbf).

I think you've missed the point - it isn't just about doing 88 days work, you have to earn at least minimum wage and provide the wage slips to prove it. With piece work you are not being paid by the hour so what Stacey is saying is she could do the 88 days, worked her butt off (literally!) and still not have earned enough money to qualify for the visa.

I think you've missed the point - it isn't just about doing 88 days work, you have to earn at least minimum wage and provide the wage slips to prove it. With piece work you are not being paid by the hour so what Stacey is saying is she could do the 88 days, worked her butt off (literally!) and still not have earned enough money to qualify for the visa.

I get that aspect also. But you want the second year enough, you'll go all out and find something to make it happen. If you don't, you probably won't. Doesn't have to be this particular job, there are other regional jobs out there that will count towards the 2nd year.

Stacey has dithered about the second year all along. I think if people really want something and there is a clear timeframe in which to achieve a result, they don't sit and dither so much over it, they just get on and do it. Lots of people really want that second year here, so get their regional farm work and work sodding hard to boot. It can be done if someone really wants to do it. Just you've got to really want it to perhaps push yourself to really getting outside your comfort zone for a while to achieve it. But I can also appreciate that for some manual farm work or fruit picking is perhaps not what they are suited to or wanting to do and so won't be keen to do it. But as I said, if someone really wants that second year, they'll find a way, not leaving it too late for wiggle room in case they fall a bit short or some such toward the end.

I appreciate that this job isn't ideal in terms of wages so Stacey is questioning about doing it. Fair enough. I'd be wary also, but end of the day, surely someone out there is paying what is needed and can be signed off on? Time keeps ticking and seasons change as does where the work is located and the type. So getting on it and getting it done hopefully will be if its what is really wanted. If not, let it go and focus on the rest of the time left in Aus and plan for what follows that.

Someone I know did their regional work on Kangaroo Island last year. They had no idea what to expect really but wanted to give it a go and went off there a month or so after arriving in Aus. Got it out the way as they wanted the second year and to know it was done and dusted, had an absolute blast on the island, work was hard but manageable, met some other travellers and went on travelling from there with them.

I get that aspect also. But you want the second year enough, you'll go all out and find something to make it happen. If you don't, you probably won't. Doesn't have to be this particular job, there are other regional jobs out there that will count towards the 2nd year.

Stacey has dithered about the second year all along. I think if people really want something and there is a clear timeframe in which to achieve a result, they don't sit and dither so much over it, they just get on and do it. Lots of people really want that second year here, so get their regional farm work and work sodding hard to boot. It can be done if someone really wants to do it. Just you've got to really want it to perhaps push yourself to really getting outside your comfort zone for a while to achieve it. But I can also appreciate that for some manual farm work or fruit picking is perhaps not what they are suited to or wanting to do and so won't be keen to do it. But as I said, if someone really wants that second year, they'll find a way, not leaving it too late for wiggle room in case they fall a bit short or some such toward the end.

I appreciate that this job isn't ideal in terms of wages so Stacey is questioning about doing it. Fair enough. I'd be wary also, but end of the day, surely someone out there is paying what is needed and can be signed off on? Time keeps ticking and seasons change as does where the work is located and the type. So getting on it and getting it done hopefully will be if its what is really wanted. If not, let it go and focus on the rest of the time left in Aus and plan for what follows that.

Someone I know did their regional work on Kangaroo Island last year. They had no idea what to expect really but wanted to give it a go and went off there a month or so after arriving in Aus. Got it out the way as they wanted the second year and to know it was done and dusted, had an absolute blast on the island, work was hard but manageable, met some other travellers and went on travelling from there with them.

My nephew worked on a cattle ranch in Mt. Isa .. and to be honest I thought he wouldn't have lasted - he absolutely loved it for the 3 months and it was one of the best experiences of his trip. He didn't complete the first year but has done what's required to come back later. He's returned to the UK (got a degree in forensic science) but hasn't been able to secure a job in that field .. he's applied for MH nursing now .. I'd like to think that was my influence and his short visit to us in WA wasn't wasted lol.

My nephew worked on a cattle ranch in Mt. Isa .. and to be honest I thought he wouldn't have lasted - he absolutely loved it for the 3 months and it was one of the best experiences of his trip. He didn't complete the first year but has done what's required to come back later. He's returned to the UK (got a degree in forensic science) but hasn't been able to secure a job in that field .. he's applied for MH nursing now .. I'd like to think that was my influence and his short visit to us in WA wasn't wasted lol.

My cousin's daughter worked on a cattle farm near Longreach in Queensland for three months. Long hours (6 day week) and hard work but she loved it too. Now at Liverpool Uni hoping to qualify as a Vet.

My cousin's daughter worked on a cattle farm near Longreach in Queensland for three months. Long hours (6 day week) and hard work but she loved it too. Now at Liverpool Uni hoping to qualify as a Vet.

Yep he said it was very long days and very hard/physical work but he had a ball

Stacey, have you thought about other places we were in the outback at a place called Cobbold gorge they were looking for staff it's a camping ground all the staff stay there as there's nothing for miles but where it is I'm sure would qualify. It's obviously Cairns way but it's an extra thing to look into. It's a stunning place they have a bar shop and tours. Off to CHillagoe next week another outback resort so will keep my eye out if anything going

Debbs

Stacey, have you thought about other places we were in the outback at a place called Cobbold gorge they were looking for staff it's a camping ground all the staff stay there as there's nothing for miles but where it is I'm sure would qualify. It's obviously Cairns way but it's an extra thing to look into. It's a stunning place they have a bar shop and tours. Off to CHillagoe next week another outback resort so will keep my eye out if anything going

Debbs

It has to be agricultural work or a very limited range of construction work so working on a camp site wouldn't qualify. Stacey's in a rural area now but working in a bar and that doesn't count either.

Guest The Pom Queen

Debbs

Chillagoe do have backpackers, I've already mentioned it to Stacey many moons ago now lol. Cobbold Gorge is lovely apart from the road in which hadn't been graded the last time we went. Did you get to agate creek?

Another place you may fancy Debs is Undara Lava Tubes.

Guest The Pom Queen
It has to be agricultural work or a very limited range of construction work so working on a camp site wouldn't qualify. Stacey's in a rural area now but working in a bar and that doesn't count either.

You will find Cobbold Gorge use to sign off on 2nd year visas as they did a bit of construction. They also own a cattle farm. Chillago campground also have a orchard for fruit picking and usually give you a job in the restaurant as well.

You will find Cobbold Gorge use to sign off on 2nd year visas as they did a bit of construction. They also own a cattle farm. Chillago campground also have a orchard for fruit picking and usually give you a job in the restaurant as well.

Sounds a bit dodgy but I guess if you can get away with it.....

One of the places where Stacey is now is a station and they sign-off 2nd year WHV even though the backpackers work in the pub but you know Stacey she likes to do things by the rules :)

One of the places where Stacey is now is a station and they sign-off 2nd year WHV even though the backpackers work in the pub but you know Stacey she likes to do things by the rules :)

I would too as she posts so freely on here - it would only take one to contact immigration and dob her in.

Chillagoe do have backpackers, I've already mentioned it to Stacey many moons ago now lol. Cobbold Gorge is lovely apart from the road in which hadn't been graded the last time we went. Did you get to agate creek?

Another place you may fancy Debs is Undara Lava Tubes.

We we didn't get to the creek. The road had been done but God it was still really rough but we enjoyed it. I've seen adverts for Undara I think we will be trying there as well. Just started the camping thought I'd be screaming at every noise but I love it lol. Great way to see some fab places.

Guest The Pom Queen

What do you think is dodgy about it? 84 hectares of mangoes and lychees? I know the farmer and there is nothing dodgy about him at all. All I was saying is that if they wanted extra income the opportunity is there to work in the bar as well

Guest The Pom Queen
We we didn't get to the creek. The road had been done but God it was still really rough but we enjoyed it. I've seen adverts for Undara I think we will be trying there as well. Just started the camping thought I'd be screaming at every noise but I love it lol. Great way to see some fab places.

Agate creek has some lovely rocks, you will have to start fossicking then you have an excuse for more camping. Unfortunately my health isn't letting me at the moment. Here are some of the agates.

image.jpeg

Richmond and Hughenden are nice but not sure how far is too far for you.

image.jpeg