My travel thread

Quokka2005

I would love to leave here start of June but the savings been bad so I'm going to have to stay till the first week in July. So unless I can find a backpacker in kalgoorlie then I'm going back to Perth for a few days. I'll find people to travel with and go up north seeing the west coast. At the moment I want to go up to broome but I might continue onto Darwin. I want to see the red dog statue in WA because that was my dream and some people laughed as if I wouldn't go so I'd be gutted if I missed that

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any contacts for farm work? While I'm not sure I can imagine me on one I'm getting very aware of the fact I only have 6 months left so the idea of at least trying the work is more appealing but I haven't been able to find anywhere yet. Every backpacker seems to be after it

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah maybe, it's around 2.5 hours from Adelaide. But it's just a coincidence,I have a friend working there and she told me to try it so I phoned today. Otherwise I would probably have ended up in Queensland. I think I'd prefer working in the cold over the humidity

OOOh, you are coming our way! Where will you be? (Feel free to PM if you prefer?) and what sort of farm? Hope you have warm clothes...

Be great to catch up when you're down here :-) Let me know if you need anything.

It's fruit picking. I stay in a working hostel then I go out to farms to pick the fruit. It'll probably absolutely kill me but I want to give it a go so at least I know wether I was capable. If I'm not then I'll accept it a.d enjoy the rest of my year or go home/New Zealand. I'm going to have to store most my clothes somewhere and buy warm ones! God knows I'll manage that lol. Might just have to post them home or Chuck them. Would love to catch up with you

Well done Stacey... it will be hard work, but you will meet lots of other WHV people and you will earn your second year visa. Just remember I have an empty spare room... can store stuff for you on the understanding you come and see me and my fluffies again so you can retrieve your stuff!!! xx

I might take you up on that @Rossmoyne! God I do some amount of jetting around on planes,the poor planet. Someone told me I could get the train from kalgoorlie?

The place is called Barmera. It looks a lot nicer than where I currently am! I got abused tonight by my favourite aboriginal lady, she must have been grumpy as well as drunk. Never mind lol

I might take you up on that @Rossmoyne! God I do some amount of jetting around on planes,the poor planet. Someone told me I could get the train from kalgoorlie?

The place is called Barmera. It looks a lot nicer than where I currently am! I got abused tonight by my favourite aboriginal lady, she must have been grumpy as well as drunk. Never mind lol

Yes you can take the train from Kalgoorlie over to SA.... well worth the experience of crossing the Nullabor by train, even though it might be expensive. I think you can also do the Greyhound bus from Kal too.

Good on you Stacey.

I think once you get into it it won't be so bad. And hopefully with room and board and a bit of money it'll soon pass. I'd stock up on a few warmer items of clothing, some warm bed socks and PJ's too. A warm beanie won't go amiss either if you are going to be outdoors.

Give us a shout if you make it to Adelaide itself :)

Yes you can take the train from Kalgoorlie over to SA.... well worth the experience of crossing the Nullabor by train, even though it might be expensive. I think you can also do the Greyhound bus from Kal too.

When I was a backpacker over here in the 90's, I travelled from Perth to Adelaide on the Greyhound bus from memory it took about 35 hours (not sure I could handle it now!) but it certainly left an impression the hours and hours of nothing. Coming from a UK city where there are people everywhere it blew by mind that we would travel for hours without seeing a car/anything!

Yeah maybe, it's around 2.5 hours from Adelaide. But it's just a coincidence,I have a friend working there and she told me to try it so I phoned today. Otherwise I would probably have ended up in Queensland. I think I'd prefer working in the cold over the humidity

It isn't humid in Queensland this time of year btw. It's the dry season now.

I'm really struggling tonight. I've got all anxious and emotional over something silly and I'm having one of those "I could just go home moments". I think the thought of the fruit picking is making me extra anxious because everyone here keep telling me bad stuff about it

Edited by Quokka2005

I'm rely struggling tonight. I've got all anxious and emotional over something silly and I'm having one of those "I could just go home moments". I think the thought of the fruit picking is making me extra anxious because everyone here keep telling me bad stuff about it

Stacey, you are amazing. You can do whatever you want. Never stop believing in yourself

If I can make just one person smile, then I've made a difference.

I'm really struggling tonight. I've got all anxious and emotional over something silly and I'm having one of those "I could just go home moments". I think the thought of the fruit picking is making me extra anxious because everyone here keep telling me bad stuff about it

I wish I could give you a Aussie granny hug ... it is natural you are anxious about the fruit picking job when you have thoughtless idiots who are telling you bad stuff ... just go there give it a try ... if you don't like it leave and go back to what you had planned before ... at least you tried ... x

I wish I could give you a Aussie granny hug ... it is natural you are anxious about the fruit picking job when you have thoughtless idiots who are telling you bad stuff ... just go there give it a try ... if you don't like it leave and go back to what you had planned before ... at least you tried ... x

What Bottler said is what I was about to say to you Stacey..... Try it... if you don't like it... move on! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.!!! Isn't that what this year (or maybe two) is all about for you? xx Rossy