My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left the UK on the 31st of October for Singapore. And I arrived in Sydney on the 6th of November. So I've got till then before they boot me out.

I need to start taking more pictures to put up, I haven't been taking pictures since the ones I put up last time

Not having any luck yet, anything that does reply seems to be part time or loads of people going for it. I've had quite a few replies saying that the jobs gone (very quickly). I'm not sure I even want to live here long term tbh, I think it's great for a week but I prefer somewhere more laid back. Maybe that's why I liked Perth. Although I'm staying in glebe which is nice and it's fairly quiet. Feels more like a village feel. I don't think I could stay in the CBD like I was the first time.

Not having any luck yet, anything that does reply seems to be part time or loads of people going for it. I've had quite a few replies saying that the jobs gone (very quickly). I'm not sure I even want to live here long term tbh, I think it's great for a week but I prefer somewhere more laid back. Maybe that's why I liked Perth. Although I'm staying in glebe which is nice and it's fairly quiet. Feels more like a village feel. I don't think I could stay in the CBD like I was the first time.

I love Glebe. Make sure you check out Newtown and Erskineville. Great vibe. Explore some of the small streets off the main 'busy' street. Its all within walking distance of Glebe.

I'll add that I'm definitely no saying that I dislike Sydney's. It's beautiful and there's loads of cool stuff. Maybe it's just how I'm feeling at the moment because I don't have work.

Yeah I haven't been to Newtown yet. I'm going to explore tomorrow. I've been really fed up this week so tbh I haven't been going out very far. I should have went out today since the weather was nicer

Yeah the actual city is a bit too busy. I see pensioners walking about amongst it all and I wonder how they cope lol they probably cope better than me haha.

I think the problem with me is I don't really have much notion to stay in one place for months and months and spend their money going out drinking every weekend etc like some backpackers do. I like meeting new people etc but my main aim is to save as much money as possible so that I can see as much as I can before home. I was saving 500 a week where I last worked but then as soon as I got to a city I wasted all of it. Cities and my money just don't seem to go very well. Most jobs I see are around 17 or 18 a hour so unless you're strict then it can be quite hard to save when you've got the Sydney rent, food and whatever else coming off. I think I need some saving tips haha. I did apply for one care job that a friend works at and that's 26 an hour so that would be ideal for saving even in Sydney

Hopefully ill find something soon

I dreading the reaction off some people but this week I got offered a good job in WA from the agency woman I got my last job from. So instead of hanging around Sydney jobless in the rain I accepted it. It's a good package - good wage and free accommodation and meals. So I can save up a lot and it sounds a really social place. Other backpackers in the town etc. I had a good time at my last place (most of the time) and i saved quite a bit. I should be able to save a lot more here.

So the plan if all goes well is to stay there for 3 or 4 months and save. Then I'm heading up towards Broome for winter. I've been absolutely dying to go up there and wish I did last time instead of spending my money in Perth. But hopefully find some travel buddies to do it with. Can't wait to go see the whale sharks, those are the kinds of things I came to Australia for. Loved the GBR and whitsundays so I'm definitely a nature person.

So I'm quite excited about trying somewhere new and actually saving money. Still glad I came to Sydney though because I definitely like it and it was just me the last time. But I think it's definitely better to come here before the start of summer rather than before autumn. And it's not a great place to be if you don't have a lot of money or a job but other than that it's a nice place. I was always coming back to WA anyway but just didn't know wether to come in winter or wait till October before I go home. I should get a frequent flyer card though haha. By the time I finish with the North it should be a bit nicer in the south when I continue my travels. Then hopefully can afford to go to New Zealand from the east coast which would have been too awkward to do if I'd finished west

I dreading the reaction off some people but this week I got offered a good job in WA from the agency woman I got my last job from. So instead of hanging around Sydney jobless in the rain I accepted it. It's a good package - good wage and free accommodation and meals. So I can save up a lot and it sounds a really social place. Other backpackers in the town etc. I had a good time at my last place (most of the time) and i saved quite a bit. I should be able to save a lot more here.

So the plan if all goes well is to stay there for 3 or 4 months and save. Then I'm heading up towards Broome for winter. I've been absolutely dying to go up there and wish I did last time instead of spending my money in Perth. But hopefully find some travel buddies to do it with. Can't wait to go see the whale sharks, those are the kinds of things I came to Australia for. Loved the GBR and whitsundays so I'm definitely a nature person.

So I'm quite excited about trying somewhere new and actually saving money. Still glad I came to Sydney though because I definitely like it and it was just me the last time. But I think it's definitely better to come here before the start of summer rather than before autumn. And it's not a great place to be if you don't have a lot of money or a job but other than that it's a nice place. I was always coming back to WA anyway but just didn't know wether to come in winter or wait till October before I go home. I should get a frequent flyer card though haha. By the time I finish with the North it should be a bit nicer in the south when I continue my travels. Then hopefully can afford to go to New Zealand from the east coast which would have been too awkward to do if I'd finished west

Good on you Stacey! :smile: Sounds like a very good plan.

Not sure everyone will say the same but thanks lol. I applied for similar jobs over here but they were only offering a package like my last one but this one is hourly paid instead and the accommodation and food is free. So the only thing I'll be spending on is alcohol. So should be able to save loads since I don't drink much

Congratulations on the job offer :-) hope you enjoy your time working in WA. Do you head over soon? You have your own plan and even though plans change as long as your doing something you enjoy then go for it and don't worry about any negative comments. Look forward to hearing about your adventures!

Yeah I fly to Perth tomorrow. Then I'm spending 2 nights in Perth before I fly out to where I'm working. I get to go on one of those little planes lol. Looking forward to going and sitting at South Perth for the sunset, I'm such a saddo lol :laugh: Western Australia is definitely my place so far. Although I really loved far North Queensland, I keep missing port Douglas because it keeps appearing on my Facebook news feed

Yeah I fly to Perth tomorrow. Then I'm spending 2 nights in Perth before I fly out to where I'm working. I get to go on one of those little planes lol. Looking forward to going and sitting at South Perth for the sunset, I'm such a saddo lol :laugh: Western Australia is definitely my place so far. Although I really loved far North Queensland, I keep missing port Douglas because it keeps appearing on my Facebook news feed

Did you manage to go see Rottnest Island? I love Perth, I remember sitting at Fremantle watching the sun go down was so beautiful! I do love Sydney too but for different reasons. I have always fancied going up north WA to monkey Mia and down to Margaret River (Managed to get as far down as Busselton but that was it). At least you get 2 days to yourself before you start work :)

Yeah i went to rottnest Island for the day, it was lovely. I really love Perth too, could imagine living there. Yeah monkey Mia looks nice. Other than Perth and where I worked I didn't see anything else on WA. I really wish I'd done the south when I was down there but I wanted to keep my money for East Coast but just ended up wasting it in Perth instead haha. So hopefully get to see the south at some point but probably not picked the best time of the year. Should be nice in the north though

Yeah i went to rottnest Island for the day, it was lovely. I really love Perth too, could imagine living there. Yeah monkey Mia looks nice. Other than Perth and where I worked I didn't see anything else on WA. I really wish I'd done the south when I was down there but I wanted to keep my money for East Coast but just ended up wasting it in Perth instead haha. So hopefully get to see the south at some point but probably not picked the best time of the year. Should be nice in the north though

It is hard seeing everything, glad you managed to get to Rottnest Island (I love that place, hired out a bicycle and cycled around though was tired afterwards haha). I could imagine living in Perth too, the OH has family there, I loved how people would just come up and start chatting to you had that a few times when we took my daughter to the park, hardly get that in the UK. Yeah north should be lovely time of year, I think it is still okay at the moment in the south but seasons starting to change. Do you think your try and do 3 months regional work? (I don't think I could hack it fruit picking etc, would be okay if I could work in hospitality lol). At least you have done a lot and hopefully still enjoying the experience :D This time last year I was getting ready to visit Sydney, argh feel like booking another trip lol.

I'm probably not going to do my 2nd year unless maybe I meet someone where I'm working that offers me the work. Other than that I'll just continue seeing as much as possible but try not to rush. Then go home or go to New Zealand. Ideally I'd love to go home for Christmas and then go back to New Zealand but it's so much money flying to the UK and back. I'll just have to see. I might only do a month travelling after Australia anyway so I suppose I'd be back for Christmas if I did. Just have to see how money is.

Yeah there's lots of lovely people on this forum that have been really kind to me, I don't mean to be as snappy sometimes