English Test for Australian Visa

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Do you think if your first language is English that you should be exempt from the test, I do.

A migration agent in Australia has claimed that large numbers of Irish people, especially tradesmen, are failing to pass an English language test necessary when applying for certain Australian visas.

Richard Coates from Dublin, who works as a migration agent in Adelaide, told The Irish Times over the weekend that 90 per cent of Irish people who do the English test fail it at least once.

Coates (along with one of the designers of the IELTS English language test, David Ingram) believes it is unsuitable for people trained in a trade, who might have difficulty with spelling and grammar.

Kevin Wall on Swan River in Perth, Western Australia. English test derailing Irish dream of Australian citizenship

Australia’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection offers dozens of different visas for foreign workers, but the most popular among Irish immigrants are the working holiday and employer-sponsored (457) visas.Australia: Applying for visas or citizenship

Destination Australia: The Irish Times guide to moving Down Under

So what makes the test so hard, and why are so many people failing it? We took a look at some of the sample questions available on the IELTS website.

Firstly, who needs to take an English test? Most workers and students who are not sponsored by an employer must apply for points-based visas to work or study in Australia. As part of this, they must pass an English language test.

What does the test involve? The tests are carried out by various companies approved by the Australian Department of Immigration. The most common is the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) General Training test, which “focuses on general survival skills in broad social and workplace contexts”. This is also the standard test taken by applicants for points-based visas in Canada and New Zealand.

Depending on the visa type, applicants have to score at least 5 points out of 10 (or equivalent, depending on the company carrying out the test) in each of four categories - listening, reading, writing and speaking.

Writing

Candidates are given an hour to respond to two writing tasks. Answers are judged on coherence and the range of vocabulary and grammar used.

TASK 1: You live in a room in college which you share with another student. However, there are many problems with this arrangement and you find it very difficult to work. Write a letter to the accommodation officer at the college. In the letter, describe the situation, explain your problems and why it is difficult to work, and say what kind of accommodation you would prefer. Write at least 150 words. Begin your letter as follows: Dear Sir or Madam.

TASK 2: Write about the following topic: In Britain, when someone gets old they often go to live in a home with other old people where there are nurses to look after them. Sometimes the government has to pay for this care. Who do you think should pay for this care, the government or the family? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience. Write at least 250 words.

Speaking

The speaking test involves a conversation with an examiner, which will flash many candidates back to their dreaded Junior or Leaving Cert oral exams. It is “interactive and as close to a real-life situation as a test can get”. The test is 11 to 14 minutes long with three parts:

PART 1: Let’s talk about your home town or village:

What kind of place is it?

What’s the most interesting part of your town/village?

What kind of jobs do the people in your town/village do?

Would you say it’s a good place to live? (Why?)

PART 2: Describe something you own which is very important to you. You should say where you got it from; how long you have had it; what you use it for; and why it is important to you. You have one minute to think about what you’re going to say. You can make some notes to help you if you wish.

PART 3: Two-way discussion: Let’s consider first of all how people’s values have changed. What kind of things give status to people in your country? Have things changed since your parents’ time? Finally, let’s talk about the role of advertising. Do you think advertising influences what people buy?

Reading

The reading test is 60 minutes long. It is in three sections, with 40 questions to answer in total based on a text provided. Questions range from fill-in-the-blanks to multiple choice, identifying the writer’s views, and matching information. Below is a sample paper, with flowchart-style questions in section one.

Out of interest, when my British son educated to MBA had to to take the test for the points, I thought I would have a go on one of the practise tests. Only took I think the reading part?

I failed quite badly on my first attempt, some of the questions were quite ambiguous. Managed ok the next attempt as I had realised how to answer.

I'm not surprised people fail it, I am fairly articulate and I struggled.

Good luck to anyone taking it

Definately pays to practise.

People with English as a first language, or rather passport holders from certain countries are exempt from the English test.

Many people take the test to make up points. They can either take an Emglish test for 20 points or do a Phd which also provides 20 points. An absolute gift for a native English speaker in comparison.

I suspect it's a bit like the driving test. If we all had to redo it we'd probably fail. I know my English especially written has really suffered from lake of use. I don't see why someone with a skill that's on the wanted list needs to also prove their English skills if English I'd their first language no. But I'm pretty certain most don't. I know my OH had easily enough points without having to do it.

English test should be maintained and I'm not surprised many fail as a lot of people including myself now depend on keyboards and spell checks to communicate. I do write long legal reports with my work so have to be able to accurately communicate my expert opinion however most people have no need for this.

Maybe a compromise and rank the IELTS requirements to the profession.

S

Do you think if your first language is English that you should be exempt from the test, I do.

But if you come from an English speaking country you are exempt. You're given an automatic 6 or 6.5 (I forget which but it means competent and is the minimum standard of English required to emigrate as a first applicant and people from non-English speaking countries must pay a 2nd VAC if they are the secondary applicant and don't score this). If you want to prove that your English is better than competent then you can take the test to gain extra points. There are a lot of people from English speaking countries (including Australia) whose English is far from competent so there are grounds for scrapping the exemption - not that I'm suggesting that.

I suspect it's a bit like the driving test. If we all had to redo it we'd probably fail. I know my English especially written has really suffered from lake of use. I don't see why someone with a skill that's on the wanted list needs to also prove their English skills if English I'd their first language no. But I'm pretty certain most don't. I know my OH had easily enough points without having to do it.

Again, native speakers do not have to prove their English. It is optional and an easier way to get points, easier than say doing a Phd which brings the same number of points.

I think you applied under the old points test, well you did if you applied five or six years ago. Under the current points test, it is harder to make the points and English is often needed.

I applied six years ago and didn't need IELTS for points but I had to do it for my occupation. I found it a very simple test to be honest, I do use my literacy skills everyday, but I still think it is easily attainable for any literate person. Definitely easier than a driving test.

Again, native speakers do not have to prove their English. It is optional and an easier way to get points, easier than say doing a Phd which brings the same number of points.

That's obviously very wrong. Mind you after re reading my post I think I'd better go and hang my head in shame :laugh: Just as well I wasn't the main visa applicant.

Do you mean "lack"of use QSS?:laugh:

That's obviously very wrong. Mind you after re reading my post I think I'd better go and hang my head in shame :laugh: Just as well I wasn't the main visa applicant.

You are onto something there. It doesn't make sense does it. I have a theory that Australia secretly prefers the Anglo Saxon English speaking migrants and so has gifted them with points for English. I know a lot complain about IELTS, but it is honestly not that hard and certainly not up ther with a Phd.

I think its all daft, but hey that's just simple me.

You were born in an English speaking country, the country is even called England!!, you went to primary and secondary schools in England, you did all your exams in English. You can trace your family history in England back to Tudor times and beyond.

but....apply for a visa for Aus, and you need to prove you can speak/read/write English, which you do.

then you get here and find that half the people you try and speak to in shops/the workplace etc, don't know a single word of English :wacko:

funny story going round FB the other week of a non English speaking person working in a servo in Perth that was pissing everyone off, when they Didnt know the rounding down/up rule on the money and was demanding people paid the 1c:laugh: and couldn't speak enough English to grasp what people were trying to tell her.

sad thing is....why did this person get the job over a English speaking person who can actually converse??

Dont say its because no one else applied, because in these times, all are applying.

You were born in an English speaking country, the country is even called England!!, you went to primary and secondary schools in England, you did all your exams in English. You can trace your family history in England back to Tudor times and beyond.

but....apply for a visa for Aus, and you need to prove you can speak/read/write English, which you do.

then you get here and find that half the people you try and speak to in shops/the workplace etc, don't know a single word of English :wacko:

funny story going round FB the other week of a non English speaking person working in a servo in Perth that was pissing everyone off, when they Didnt know the rounding down/up rule on the money and was demanding people paid the 1c:laugh: and couldn't speak enough English to grasp what people were trying to tell her.

sad thing is....why did this person get the job over a English speaking person who can actually converse??

Dont say its because no one else applied, because in these times, all are applying.

How many times? Native English speakers DO NOT need to prove their English for a visa. Please read earlier posts on this thread.

Because the people with not the best English are willing to work Odd shifts for their money which probably isn't great, to be honest all the none English speaking people were I live are wonderful they treat me with respect as I do them, if they stuff up so be it, it ain't the end of the world, first world problems hey !!

You are onto something there. It doesn't make sense does it. I have a theory that Australia secretly prefers the Anglo Saxon English speaking migrants and so has gifted them with points for English. I know a lot complain about IELTS, but it is honestly not that hard and certainly not up ther with a Phd.

I agree the points from IELTS is a gift to native English speakers.

English speakers only do ILETS if they don't have enough points to enable them to reach the points required, why are you suggesting that every person that is from England needs to do it?

Because the people with not the best English are willing to work Odd shifts for their money which probably isn't great, to be honest all the none English speaking people were I live are wonderful they treat me with respect as I do them, if they stuff up so be it, it ain't the end of the world, first world problems hey !!

Hey...nothing against nobody Hun.

But Aus has min wage criteria, 300 people apply for a post, a mix of people from all over the world, plus lots of Aussies with experience. All desperate for a job to help keep themselves afloat, willing to do any shift (which is what is happening right now).

So the job is basically dealing with the public, talking to them, dealing with problems.

why doesn't the English speaking person get the job??

anyone who has been for an Interview recently knows the questions asked. Ie: how would you deal with ?? Situation; demonstrate how you overcome this problem??

Im only asking because I'm curious

Err ... well take one yourself. Before you pour your outrage at native English speakers needing to take an IELTS test without checking your facts (i.e. that they don't) first.

I know your right, I was responding mainly to PQs opening.

Was just saying ...:wink:

Hey...nothing against nobody Hun.

But Aus has min wage criteria, 300 people apply for a post, a mix of people from all over the world, plus lots of Aussies with experience. All desperate for a job to help keep themselves afloat, willing to do any shift (which is what is happening right now).

So the job is basically dealing with the public, talking to them, dealing with problems.

why doesn't the English speaking person get the job??

anyone who has been for an Interview recently knows the questions asked. Ie: how would you deal with ?? Situation; demonstrate how you overcome this problem??

Im only asking because I'm curious

Perhaps the person is a relative or friend of the person doing the hiring.

Perhaps the person is a relative or friend of the person doing the hiring.

Maybe...

but if I was hiring for a customer service role, I think one of the first things I would want was that they were able to converse with the customer in their own language!!

ie I have customer service experience, wouldn't expect it to get me anywhere in china/India/France/Spain without having top notch speaking abilities of the country I was in.

Guest The Pom Queen
People with English as a first language, or rather passport holders from certain countries are exempt from the English test.

Many people take the test to make up points. They can either take an Emglish test for 20 points or do a Phd which also provides 20 points. An absolute gift for a native English speaker in comparison.

I understand what you are saying but as the article says a number of tradies can't get the points because they need the test. I am not sure if tradies do PhDs it just seems unfair. Why does a brickie need to be an expert in English language? I understand a professional or office worker would need this, although as you say they would probably have enough points behind them anyway.

Archived