Australian Dollar and the Pound

DivingMissDaisy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

May be wishful thinking, as we have money to move and will need it here once we buy a house, but I tend to agree with this, published yesterday: http://www.australiandollarforecast.com/2016/04/21/4577/

EU referendum polls are pretty unreliable. However if betting odds are a good indication (but, how are they set?!), then remain is looking incredibly strong.

May be wishful thinking, as we have money to move and will need it here once we buy a house, but I tend to agree with this, published yesterday: http://www.australiandollarforecast.com/2016/04/21/4577/

EU referendum polls are pretty unreliable. However if betting odds are a good indication (but, how are they set?!), then remain is looking incredibly strong.

Agree with the bookmakers as a barometer they usually get it right currently one is giving "Remain 4/11" and "Leave 2/1". Pollsters reckon phone polls are more accurate than online ones. The phone ones are consistently ahead for the "Remain camp" but it is still a long way to June 23rd. There could be wild swings if one side or the other can land a significant blow.

Yes, we would like to bring the rest of our money over here and invest it here where we would get a better interest rate however the extra amount we could earn in interest would be dwarfed by getting an exchange rate nearer to 2.00 than around 1.80 so we will sit it out and take a risk on an improving £.

Labor were about 6/1 to win QLD elections. Newman ended up annoying the electorate and helping a backdoor Labor win. I think there's a good chance that people will react to the ridiculous scare campaign and can turn it around.

Aussie dollar is strengthening against the USD, it's not all GDP weakness driving the fall.

Similar thinking here gbye, although we'll soon (all being well) have an offset mortgage, meaning interest savings are greater than interest earned... And then there's the lack of tax, which really eats into earned interest.

I may have to do some spreadsheets to work out which is the lesser evil!

Bubbling just under 1.87 now, another volatile week.

I cannot see any major positivity for the GBP until after the Brexit vote and only then if the vote is to remain. It is looking increasingly unlikely that the RBA will make a further cut in interest rates though that possibility may re-emerge if the AUD strengthens significantly against the USD. Clearly there is no prospect for a UK interest rate rise in the forseeable future.

Ideally if both the above were to happen (or the markets become convinced that they will) then a return to 2:1 would be almost certain to follow. Long shots though, I have prepared myself to wait until mid 2017 for more favourable conditions to transfer. We were fortunate in that we moved most of our money last year at 2.15 which is looking unattainable now.

Yeah, it's looking like a long wait, and then only if conditions are in favour of GBP and that's a huge 'if'!

I can see AUD strengthening againt USD ahead of the US election, already the rate has become pretty favourable ahead of our US holiday so I got some currency this week, but suspect there is further to go in that direction.

Given current indications, I strongly believe there is hope for GBP/AUD to show some improvement, rather than keep trending downwards. But things can change, quickly. Too many possible variables to take a gamble. But for now, we'll leave our GBP money where it is.

It's going to be an interesting couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to knock on the door of 2:1 again though with almost uniformly negative data coming out of the UK so far this year I do not feel this will be breached until the vote on 22 June and then of course only if the vote is to remain in the EU. That should initiate a brief spike in the rate I suspect so need to be poised in the aftermath ready to secure the best rate.

I think everything is so up in the air at the moment that it's wise to move money when it reaches a rate you can live with rather than waiting to see if it goes up any more. I am so glad the rate has gone back up again that I'm going to transfer some while the going is good - although having just paid for a parents visa, there isn't an awful lot to move at the moment!!

Starting to knock on the door of 2:1 again though with almost uniformly negative data coming out of the UK so far this year I do not feel this will be breached until the vote on 22 June and then of course only if the vote is to remain in the EU. That should initiate a brief spike in the rate I suspect so need to be poised in the aftermath ready to secure the best rate.

Just touching 2:1 now so looks like I was wrong. Cannot see the reason for this. Wonder if it is a spike in the rate or a continuation of a trend.