Australian Dollar and the Pound

DivingMissDaisy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh ok, well that makes sense thanks :wink: So bascially if UK increase and Aus decrease then happy days. What if the US raise it? Will that have an impact on GBP/AUD too?

Well, they didn't....but if they had the expectation would be that it would encourage purchase of the USD and selling of other currencies and the AUD would be a likely candidate. But, more importantly in my view, it is likely that an interest rate rise in the USA would have influenced the BofE in their decision-making. It is looking increasingly unlikely that UK interest rates will rise in 2015 and the can keeps getting kicked down the road.

There are other factors at play too btw and after all that there is market sentiment to consider and the herd instinct which dominates all markets.

Guest xmas lights

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-21/barclays-these-advanced-economies-need-more-currency-depreciation-to-offset-the-commodities-crash

"As such, Barclays recommends shorting the New Zealand kiwi and Aussie dollar relative to the U.S. greenback, or, for the more risk-averse, going long the Canadian dollar vs. its Antipodean peers."

ie Barclays think AUS dollar is going down against U.S and no doubt GBP which is expected to raise rates early 2016

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-21/barclays-these-advanced-economies-need-more-currency-depreciation-to-offset-the-commodities-crash

"As such, Barclays recommends shorting the New Zealand kiwi and Aussie dollar relative to the U.S. greenback, or, for the more risk-averse, going long the Canadian dollar vs. its Antipodean peers."

ie Barclays think AUS dollar is going down against U.S and no doubt GBP which is expected to raise rates early 2016

Seems the 'xmas lights' are going off for the Aussie this year!

Guest xmas lights

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/09/anz-calls-for-two-rate-cuts-in-2016/

I think 2 rate cuts would see $2:40 to £1 - so long as the UK can keep the plates spinning.

Fascinating reading the comments by Australians on that forum from above link. They mirror what was happening in UK post 2009 when 'emergency rates' approaching 0% were introduced. It's been a long emergency lol.

Just one 'maverick' voice on the Committee. Cannot see that happening but it serves to highlight how far away they are from raising interest rates.

Looks to be delayed. But, I do believe the US raising rates would open peoples minds to the UK raising rates at a later date, so it wouldn't surprise me if the pound rose on the US dollars coat strings.

Guest xmas lights
Looks to be delayed. But, I do believe the US raising rates would open peoples minds to the UK raising rates at a later date, so it wouldn't surprise me if the pound rose on the US dollars coat strings.

It depends if they keep bluffing. It's been going on a long time now. Probably more chance of an AUS rate cut than a U.S / GBP rate rise.

Guest DizzyD

Hoping to exchange our worldly gbp any time over the next 2-3 weeks.. have no idea what we are doing really!! Anything over $2 seems a gift.. any/all thoughts and advice welcome!! Thanks x

I took a huge risk and secured my dollars a few months back and secured my house sale amount with a deposit shouldn't be looking but can't help it haha and glad I did now cause appears to be spdeclining slightly its a very hard choice though cause you want the moust for your money... good luck all

Haha that the rate I transferred at, so selfish but it is good to see it falling slightly and makes you feel good about taking a risk lastonealive...

I was here at 1.5 to a pound. $2/1 seemed like a million years away at that time. Certainly does feel good though!