Who is right, Me or the Mrs?!

Major Tom

Right,

Dialema, we are planning to rent for approx 2yrs when we arrive in Melbourne early 2016, I am have shipping quotes finalise.

looking at properties to rent, I've seen houses with built in wardrobes, so my Mrs is saying not to takes ours, I'm saying take them and see.

One wardrobe is part of a set of furniture, the other is old antique pine, so if I brought them, would selling them be a problem?

So...................who's right??

Cheers MT

I wouldnt be taking wardrobes personally but, then, I'm a minimalist. They dont have a great resale value - second hand furniture in Aus never earns you much unless it is proven antique and people might be prepared to fork out for it. (Freecycle is full of old wardrobes that people cant sell)

No, not going back................how an I face it, I mean, she's right AGAIN, bloody Aussies! ;-)

Never say never, you have no way of knowing if you will go back or not. If you're not selling your home, keep them there. If they have sentimental value then get someone to store them for you if you aren't leaving them in your home.

Aussie women usually are right, haven't you learned that yet?!

Never say never, you have no way of knowing if you will go back or not. If you're not selling your home, keep them there. If they have sentimental value then get someone to store them for you if you aren't leaving them in your home.

Aussie women usually are right, haven't you learned that yet?![/QUOTE]

Always right! and English women are never wrong! haven't you learned yet?

Aussie women usually are right, haven't you learned that yet?!

i have no intension of going back, have no parents or very close relatives, Sister lives in Italy, Brother lives 6 miles away, only see him once a year if he can be arsed, friends are coming over for visits, we have Skype & FaceTime..............I'm doing this for my children, better quality of life, outside living, plus my Mrs family are here, the kids can grow up with cousins, Aunty's and Uncle's.

If you're taking a container and it fits take it, we took semi-fitted bedroom furniture and always had a room to put it in - although built-in wardrobes are a norm they aren't always in every bedroom. We didn't bother bring it back and got $150 for it & it was only MFI flat pack - you get much more in Australia for second hand stuff than the UK so if it's going to cost you no extra to take it then if you decide you have no use for it you can sell it there.

Right, Dialema, we are planning to rent for approx 2yrs when we arrive in Melbourne early 2016, I am have shipping quotes finalise. looking at properties to rent, I've seen houses with built in wardrobes, so my Mrs is saying not to takes ours, I'm saying take them and see. One wardrobe is part of a set of furniture, the other is old antique pine, so if I brought them, would selling them be a problem? So...................who's right??

Undoubtedly you are right MT.

Yes I agree MT.

You poor darling.

What a major dilemma you face; you poor dear.

Poor you; to be saddled with such a neurotic Mrs.......

OK yes sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

Moi. Sarcastic. NO.

looking at properties to rent, I've seen houses with built in wardrobes, so my Mrs is saying not to takes ours, I'm saying take them and see.

Sorry just joking :laugh: before.

If you really love those wardrobes and cannot live without them; then by all means bring them.

If you then decide not to use them you can easily sell them on one of the Facebook pages or Gumtree.

But if they are just run of the mill wardrobes that you don't really care about either way....then what is the point of spending money on shifting them all this way.

You can probably pick up one here free on the Trash Nothing websites. I picked up a almost brand new sofa yesterday completely free.

Not all rentals here have built-ins.

We brought most of our wardrobes - we were bringing a full container and they would fit in so it seemed daft to leave them behind. We did end up in a rental with built in robes in every room but I have seen a fair few houses that have one or more bedrooms without built ins, even brand new houses. We sold two of our wardrobes on eBay and got quite a bit for them even though they were MFI flat pack ones. The other wardrobe lived in the garage as a storage cupboard for a while and I can't remember what we did with it after that.

Personally, I'd check with the movers and see if the price difference between brining the wardrobe and not bringing them. I say this because, from my experience with my clients' movers, they would only load the container on to the ship when the container is full. I had a client from New Zealand who waited for 10 weeks because she did not have enough items so her stuff were sitting in a warehouse. And then wait more for the furniture to cruise to Melbourne.

Personally, I'd check with the movers and see if the price difference between brining the wardrobe and not bringing them. I say this because, from my experience with my clients' movers, they would only load the container on to the ship when the container is full. I had a client from New Zealand who waited for 10 weeks because she did not have enough items so her stuff were sitting in a warehouse. And then wait more for the furniture to cruise to Melbourne.

I guess that was for a partial container though! If you are sole use of a container it doesn't matter if it is full of not.

Yep, Aussies tend to design their houses with built in wardrobes and separate laundries. I reckon we could do with some Aussie architects in the UK.

Aussie houses are poorly Built flashy sheds. Brick veneer, with huge windows, with the thinnest glass possible 2mm.and a tin roof.u will swear the birds.are on the bottom of your bed, new Builds are not even a mitre apart. You can hear next door talking. You Can hear everything going on outside, they have never heard of Double glazing ,It would cost too much to install anyhow. Unless you get a real old place, The houses have no Fire Places. Freezing cold in the winter and Ovens in the summer. You can Use your Two way air/con for heating that costs a fortune to run.Houses in the Uk are a lot smaller and for a good reason, and sound proof. Last Time we were in the Uk,we couldn't even hear the Salvation Army playing in the street.

Aussie houses are poorly Built flashy sheds. Brick veneer, with huge windows, with the thinnest glass possible 2mm.and a tin roof.u will swear the birds.are on the bottom of your bed, new Builds are not even a mitre apart. You can hear next door talking. You Can hear everything going on outside, they have never heard of Double glazing ,It would cost too much to install anyhow. Unless you get a real old place, The houses have no Fire Places. Freezing cold in the winter and Ovens in the summer. You can Use your Two way air/con for heating that costs a fortune to run.Houses in the Uk are a lot smaller and for a good reason, and sound proof. Last Time we were in the Uk,we couldn't even hear the Salvation Army playing in the street.

ahhh, comedy aussie housing, my fave subject lol

one thing of note here i heard recently.. not sure if its good news or not lol

it seems in most parts of australia it is now cheaper to heat your house with a reverse cycle air conditioner than it is to use gas.

2 reasons for this, gas can be sold abroad for loads, so the companies are jacking up domestic prices (nice of them huh ;) )

and a split system air con is full cycle about 300-400% efficient (heat pump), where as gas is rarely as good as 60% efficient and a lot less than that if ducted (ducts are shite and typically lose 1deg per M of duct)

I'm in no way promoting the good qualities of an Aussie housing build - they are unbelievably shite. In fact I upset my hubby by comparing one to our local scout hut 'We worked hard on that scout hut'! But I do like a separate laundry and built in wardrobes. Even if the possums are dancing on the roof and I wake up thinking George Clooney's trying to get in.....

Archived