Your experience or views for Islamic schools in Australia

Annoisa

Hi All,

How do you find Islamic school in Australia. Is their quality of education is same or worse or better than public schools?Please tell also in which state you saw or experienced this school?

Does anyone left Islamic school after getting admission?

Why you choose Islamic school instead of public school which is far cheaper in South Australia and Victoria?

I would guess that you would follow the same criteria picking an Islamic school as for any other school. Just because it is Islamic does not mean you will get a good education there, and in some cases, you might be better off sending your children to a non-religious based school. I live in Sydney and I was just about to post information related to NSW. I'll do it anyway, as it might be useful for you. There have been some controversial things happening in some of the Islamic schools and not necessarily to do with anti-Islamic feeling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamic_schools_in_New_South_Wales

This report below relates to schools across Australia.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/islamic-schools-targeted-in-federal-department-of-education-audits-20150602-ghelqb.html

Always wondered about religious schools. Do they teach science properly? Or history? I wouldn't send my kid to anything but a secular school personally.

Always wondered about religious schools. Do they teach science properly? Or history? I wouldn't send my kid to anything but a secular school personally.

I went to a religious school. Yes they teach science and history properly, religion doesn't come into it and we did the same external exams as everyone else too. The differences (I think), would be that there is school mass to attend, morning prayers (although not so much in secondary) and compulsory lessons in RE.

I went to a religious school. Yes they teach science and history properly, religion doesn't come into it and we did the same external exams as everyone else too. The differences (I think), would be that there is school mass to attend, morning prayers (although not so much in secondary) and compulsory lessons in RE.

Yeah but if they are teaching creationism doesn't that conflict with reality?

Also does a catholic school for example teach RE from an objective stand point?

im a teacher & i have children in my class who were at islamic school in south oz before they moved to nsw & came to our school. both children who are twins are behind their peers. also the little boy thinks he can boss female teachers & other little girls around & is having a lot of trouble because of this. im not sure if he learned this bad behaviour at school or at home or maybe both but it is causing a lot of problems for his learning.

Religion has no place in any school. Up to the parents if they want to bring up a child in a certain faith but keep it to home life. RE lessons are ok to discuss / learn about different views etc but no school should promote one religion over another...or indeed religion full stop.

My kids both went to a Jesuit religious school. Neither are particularly religious, but yes, they studied religion up until Year 12 - it wasn't just the Catholic religion though, they were taught about all world religions. They both are now educated enough to make their own choices, but also to be able to recognise the reasons behind the choices of some of their friends who have chosen differently. They are both fierce advocates of free choice in the matter of religion, so I don't think attending a religion-based school has done them any harm at all - and yes, it was a highly academic school as well so they were at no disadvantage there either. I think the problem with secular schools in Australia is the lack of religion sometimes - and thus the lack of understanding of those to whom religion is a large part of their lives.

Religion has no place in any school. Up to the parents if they want to bring up a child in a certain faith but keep it to home life.

Leaving it to the parents to teach children about religion also means they possibly only learn about their parents' religious choices and creeds - learning at a school means they get a wider cross-section of viewpoints.

My kids both went to a Jesuit religious school. Neither are particularly religious, but yes, they studied religion up until Year 12 - it wasn't just the Catholic religion though, they were taught about all world religions. They both are now educated enough to make their own choices, but also to be able to recognise the reasons behind the choices of some of their friends who have chosen differently. They are both fierce advocates of free choice in the matter of religion, so I don't think attending a religion-based school has done them any harm at all - and yes, it was a highly academic school as well so they were at no disadvantage there either. I think the problem with secular schools in Australia is the lack of religion sometimes - and thus the lack of understanding of those to whom religion is a large part of their lives.

Leaving it to the parents to teach children about religion also means they possibly only learn about their parents' religious choices and creeds - learning at a school means they get a wider cross-section of viewpoints.

I "liked" both B4T's and Diane's posts. I'm agnostic and so's OH. We weren't married in church and our sons weren't Christened so obviously our lads weren't sent to a religious school. They had friends who attended Anglican and Catholic schools. Outside the religious aspects, their education for all of them was all much of a muchness. They all completed Year 12 and went to university.

Yeah but if they are teaching creationism doesn't that conflict with reality?

Also does a catholic school for example teach RE from an objective stand point?

Comments are from my own experience of schooling in the 70s and 80s. So they didn't teach creationism in the science class or the history class. And to be honest, after early primary school, we have never looked at the story of Adam and Eve even in the RE class, there really wasn't that much focus on this aspect.

We learned about all kinds of religions in RE class and there were class trips to mosques and synagogues to complement our learning. But was it objective in the teachings of Catholicism? No definitely not, generally people that have sent their children to a Catholic school do (or are supposed to) want their child to embrace Catholicism and that is what the school would try to ensure happened.

If I were responsible for choosing a school for a child now, I would also go secular, but that is because (despite my upbringing) I am not religious, I don't like religion as it causes too much trouble in the world and would rather child spend time on maths or other academic subjects than saying prayers and going to mass. It would definitely not be because I have any concerns about teaching creationism in the science class or any other unusual teaching ideas.

IMHO children do best in a school where the values and beliefs do not conflict with those at home, 'school' as we know it is a modern phenomenon previously 'education' was with the family and community and I see modem schools as a formalisation of that community. If children are treated differently at school and home it causes stress and no-one performs well under stress.

One of the great things about Australia is the choice in the education system - I sent my son to a secular school in Perth (where he learnt about all religions), in the UK that is much more difficult as all state schools MUST be Christian.

I've had no problem with my kids learning about religion in school. They've learned about lots of different belief systems and philosophies and I think knowledge breeds tolerance. We're not remotely religious in our family, but I do think it's important to be aware that it's a huge part of life for a significant proportion of the world's population and to have an understanding and sensitivity towards those beliefs.

It's very different from going to a school which is affiliated to one faith though and where RE is actually instruction. I do have a problem with those schools being state funded.

In Scotland, state schools are non-denominational. Anyone can be educated there. Anyone can opt not to receive religious education, or they can study RE if they so wish.

Non-denominational is not not-religious it is a christian school but not a specific Christian denomination - a quick google shows the definition of 'non-denominational to mean 'open or acceptable to people of any Christian denomination.'

There is a legal requirement for Christian worship in Scottish schools, it is not required to be daily as it is in England - the actual guidance states:

Frequency of religious observance

1. Religious observance needs to take place sufficiently frequently to have an impact on the spiritual development of the school community. It is, however, the quality of such occasions which is of greatest importance.

2. The Review Group acknowledged the need to balance the frequency which would make a positive impact on young people with the need to ensure that the experiences are valuable and inclusive. This will require careful planning by schools. The group concluded that every school should provide opportunities for religious observance at least six times in a school year, in addition to traditional celebrations central to the life of the school community, and preferably with greater frequency. We recognise that many primary schools value weekly religious observance as part of their regular assembly programme and will wish to continue with this. The school community should be involved in making decisions about frequency.

Parents can of course withdraw their children - we made a choice not to and it was really quite shocking the impact of just one term at a non-denominational school had, at 5 he came home saying 'God is the biggest daddy of all' and asking if we believed in god and Jesus - thankfully we were moving to Australia and were able to send him to a secular school.

Studying RE is very different from religious worship in schools and should be absolutely encourage in my view - so long as it covers atheism & humanism too!

My children went to C of E primary and there was a strong ethos of religion - as a church school we were closely linked with our church. My daughter went to a non religious high school, they were taught RE and were to cover multiple faiths (we left to come to Aus in her first year) in addition to agnostics etc., There was no religious assembly of any kind at the high school

Hi All,

How do you find Islamic school in Australia. Is their quality of education is same or worse or better than public schools?Please tell also in which state you saw or experienced this school?

Does anyone left Islamic school after getting admission?

Why you choose Islamic school instead of public school which is far cheaper in South Australia and Victoria?

I have no personal experience of Islamic schools (or schools of any other religion for that matter) but there has been a lot of stories in the news here in SA about parents of kids at an Islamic school being very unhappy about how it is being run, to the extent that they have been protesting outside of the school. It does strike me that the easiest way for these parents to send a message to the school would be to move their kids to another school but very few seem to want to. I'm not sure if this is a reflection of the other schools in the area or how strongly the parents feel about having their children educated in an Islamic school.

Did you read the bit you cut out of my quote? As I said, RE lessons in school are fine to learn about all faiths and discuss views. Not sure why you cut out a section that agreed exactly with what you've written!

Archived