Dilemma about whether to have my baby in india or australia

Rabab Chimthanawala

I think it takes a long time for a child visa, maybe 6-12 months? As India is HR country, you may not get a tourist visa for the baby to come back to Australia either. Also if there are any medical issues with the child, it may impact on visa eligibility. I would reconsider.

If you are planning on staying in Australia why bother, wouldn't you have to give up your Indian citizenship anyway if you became citizens here? At least the baby would be Australian and wouldn't need a visa. You could always take it back to see your family when it's a few months old

Going back for that reason would be stupid as it would delay your return as the baby would need a visa which could easily take more than 6 months like descripted above with all these kinds of complications.

The newborn would also automatically become Australian citizen and I'm not sure if it could be Indian as well through descent as I know India doesn't allow double citizenship like my home country. It'll be wonderful for your child to have both and after little one is born visit your family back in India!

By the way Australia has very good hospitals/delivery wards so don't be afraid and maybe your Mum & Dad could come. Instead of you as a pregnant woman travelling around let family come closer to the due date would be my advise.

I think you are all forgetting the need for a woman to be with her family when giving birth. It's a strong pull. But it is a decision of the head over the heart. Only you can make that call.
No we are not all forgetting. It is not always the case, I certainly managed fine to have my daughter here with only my partner around and so am sure have thousands of other immigrant women.

Where do you feel the best chance of having a good delivery is and getting good care? From what I've seen of India there are a lot of hospitals I wouldn't want to have a baby in. I don't know it and have never visited and for all I know you might have access to a very good hospital. I think giving birth is one of those things you only have one shot at so pick the best and safest place.

Without more details this makes this far to simplistic to make a decision and I would stay in Oz every time. Concerns based on travelling, standard of care and visa issues make this an obvious choice to make to me. Congratulations on the good news though!

Some of the comments here re Indian hospitals are bordering on racist.

Check the list. Didn't see any australiana ones.

http://www.topmastersinhealthcare.com/30-most-technologically-advanced-hospitals-in-the-world/

Racist card alert, seriously?

I think people are trying to be practical here. If you want to pluck pointless links try this one, Australia ranks pretty highly in comparison.

http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian-health-care-information/world-health-organizations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/

Many people have also considered what other factors having the baby abroad may have and maybe with more detail we could all produce an informed response. Although not the same of course!

No we are not all forgetting. It is not always the case, I certainly managed fine to have my daughter here with only my partner around and so am sure have thousands of other immigrant women.

I think though that in my experience there is a cultural difference and it is quite normal for women in India to move back to her family home even when married for the birth of a child.

Rahab, would it be possible for your mother to come to Australia for the birth - I know that has been the solution for a number of Indian friends in Australia because for the visa reasons mentioned it probably would be best to have your baby in Australia.

I think though that in my experience there is a cultural difference and it is quite normal for women in India to move back to her family home even when married for the birth of a child.

Rahab, would it be possible for your mother to come to Australia for the birth - I know that has been the solution for a number of Indian friends in Australia because for the visa reasons mentioned it probably would be best to have your baby in Australia.

My post was nothing to do with culture. I was responding to somone else generalising that women need their families when giving birth!

It is funny how we start to sound like our parents. Just because you put up with it, or even if it suited you, doesn't imply that is the same for everyone. I know my wife appreciated having her mum with her. I know many women who feel the same. Just because you don't doesn't devalue their feelings.

India has some top hospitals so no problem there. The issue being most on here fail to understand, the family intensity for want of another description, of giving birth and the months after with family involvement tend to be in that region of the world.

I have known a few cases where mothers, aunties and siblings have attended at different stages of pre birth, birth and after birth support. Could that work in your case? Australia can be a lonely place without close knit support. You must decide.

Exactly my thinking. That would be the ideal situation providing the mother concerned feels comfortable in an alien society.

It is funny how we start to sound like our parents. Just because you put up with it, or even if it suited you, doesn't imply that is the same for everyone. I know my wife appreciated having her mum with her. I know many women who feel the same. Just because you don't doesn't devalue their feelings.

Well to be honest we are just second guessing OP as she had not come back to confirm if there is any specific reason she is considering going back to India. Nobody has devalued her feelings as we don't even know what her feelings are.

She didn't seen that set on India to me though as she did ask for opinions on which country to give birth in. I think that is what she has got, firstly that there are some practical issues with visa and secondly it has been confirmed that lots of women do have chilldren without being near family.

Practical option would be to have my baby here, but I believe in India I will be more comfortable and know things around there. I feel if I was longer in Australia the decision would have been easier but since I am here since only a month I am so confused...

Yes.. It does get lonely here since I haven't been here long. And definitely back I have lot of people to support and care. The biggest issue is to get the visa for the child to come back here. Has anybody done that before. Practically how long does the visa take?

What I don't understand if you emigrate to a foreign country there is a price to pay and that means as a general rule to 'lose'/leave behind family in the home country. Not only for pregnant women for example, when I have my little surgery also my family will be far away though I'm scared to death (hospitals are alien environments, I'm 'allergic' to any hospitalistion) and only my partner accompanies me yeah that's the price all migrants have to pay.

AJ said 'some women like to have the family around while delivering the child' in my opinion is a little bit wishful thinking when you are a migrant as millions of people all over the world in the US/Canada etc will deliver their children without family support. Worse things to happen than that...

Yes.. It does get lonely here since I haven't been here long. And definitely back I have lot of people to support and care. The biggest issue is to get the visa for the child to come back here. Has anybody done that before. Practically how long does the visa take?

It is going to take you up to a year, if not more to get back to Australia with the baby. You would need to get birth registration and Indian passport and then apply for the Australian visa. Are you happy to wait up to a year in India? If you are then have the baby where you feel comfortable.

[quote=silencio;1936790304

AJ said 'some women like to have the family around while delivering the child' in my opinion is a little bit wishful thinking when you are a migrant as millions of people all over the world in the US/Canada etc will deliver their children without family support. Worse things to happen than that...

Where exactly did I say that??

Practical option would be to have my baby here, but I believe in India I will be more comfortable and know things around there. I feel if I was longer in Australia the decision would have been easier but since I am here since only a month I am so confused...

There have been quite a few instances on here where people have been issued a visa and then realised they're pregnant. It has taken them quite a considerable amount of time to be able gain a visa for the child. I am presuming this will be the same process for you if you decide to go back to India. Bungo suggests best part of a year and that sounds familiar.

Have you looked around a maternity unit in Australia, has anyone talked you through how they deliver the baby? Maybe that would help?

Very tough decision to make! Good luck!

Archived