It's a 'crime' to use 'winter' and 'Sydney' in the same sentence! Five weeks till spring too!

MARYROSE02

I was thinking this when I was at Seven Shillings Beach yesterday arvo. Sure, it's cold in the early mornings, and cold in the water, though not unbearable, but when you experience the sun and warmth in the middle of the day, and you think, 'Surely, this CAN'T be WINTER? People don't usually go to the beach in winter, at least not to do 'beachy' things like sunbathing, swimming, picnics, and the like, surely. I mean, I loved going to my local beaches in Hampshire, whatever the weather, and season, but there's no way I would be swimming from October to May!

It's going to turn cold again this week apparently, which means 16 degrees Centigrade. Can I handle that? 'BRRRRRR!'

I was thinking this when I was at Seven Shillings Beach yesterday arvo. Sure, it's cold in the early mornings, and cold in the water, though not unbearable, but when you experience the sun and warmth in the middle of the day, and you think, 'Surely, this CAN'T be WINTER? People don't usually go to the beach in winter, at least not to do 'beachy' things like sunbathing, swimming, picnics, and the like, surely. I mean, I loved going to my local beaches in Hampshire, whatever the weather, and season, but there's no way I would be swimming from October to May!

It's going to turn cold again this week apparently, which means 16 degrees Centigrade. Can I handle that? 'BRRRRRR!'

Never minded Sydney winters. Perth one's were cold though. Maybe it's the houses?

I had my first ever swim at Clifton Gardens today, getting there by accident after losing my way to Balmoral in the back streets of Mosman. It happens every time I turn left off the bridge at Kirribilli/Milsons Pt, head down through Neutral Bay and Cremorne (not on Military Road) and every junction/roundabout/turning is signed up to Mosman, until the signs suddenly stop.

It did not matter as the beach at Clifton Gardens is just as nice as Balmoral, and after my swim I still went to Balmoral for crumbed fish and chips from 'Bottom of the Harbour.'

No not a crime. Winter is what it is in any particular area of the world. England, especially in the south is hardly cols compared to Sweden. I imagine a Siberian would laugh at what passes as an English winter.

Australian winters of course vary depending on location. As often noted on such forums as this, some folk have never felt so cold before, owing to poor insulation. Yes the days can be incredibly mild even warm. But the evenings and nights bitterly cold.

Saying that passed a few hours beside the sea today with what appeared thousands of others at Hillarys. Nobody was swimming but easy to catch a bit of bronze on the face. Hardly a severe winter by any reckoning but winter none the less and a very different ambiance in the air than during the summer months.

No not a crime. Winter is what it is in any particular area of the world. England, especially in the south is hardly cols compared to Sweden. I imagine a Siberian would laugh at what passes as an English winter.

Australian winters of course vary depending on location. As often noted on such forums as this, some folk have never felt so cold before, owing to poor insulation. Yes the days can be incredibly mild even warm. But the evenings and nights bitterly cold.

Saying that passed a few hours beside the sea today with what appeared thousands of others at Hillarys. Nobody was swimming but easy to catch a bit of bronze on the face. Hardly a severe winter by any reckoning but winter none the less and a very different ambiance in the air than during the summer months.

Haven't had a winter here in Perth compared to last two years - been amazing

It is summer in the sun, but winter in the water!

My brother prefers winter in Sydney. It's a pity some homes can be igloos! The thing that accentuates the feeling of cold is the way it can go from zero to 21 and back again in 24 hrs. I am wrapped up now at 1130 pm but 12 hours ago I could have worn shorts.

Never minded Sydney winters. Perth one's were cold though. Maybe it's the houses?

You joking aren't you:mad:. Daytime temps were ok in Sydney but, it had that horrible dank chill you to the bone winter weather when I was there.

i hate cold weather, but not many early morning/late night in Perth that I don't sit out:cool:

21 degrees in the inner west yesterday, and a more-or-less cloudless sky. Beautiful day. Didn't even have to run my heating in the evening. (Unlike today)

Back in Scotland that's a heatwave! And only 2 weeks after it was SNOWING up in the Blue Mountains.

So when does spring officially start in NSW?

Glad you are having a good run ...we had another mild winter ,and I thought we were quids in for a great summer ....wrong ...its been at best "mixed " .....

We have got the downside of the jet stream,whilst southern Europe is baking ...they reckon things swing our way start of August .....i will be touring Italy then 35 -40c at the moment

Glad you are having a good run ...we had another mild winter ,and I thought we were quids in for a great summer ....wrong ...its been at best "mixed " .....

We have got the downside of the jet stream,whilst southern Europe is baking ...they reckon things swing our way start of August .....i will be touring Italy then 35 -40c at the moment

Ps ..its cold and pissing down ....wimbledon finished and then the heavens opened .....we have had record breaking heat and lots of rain in the same month ....feels like October right now

You joking aren't you:mad:. Daytime temps were ok in Sydney but, it had that horrible dank chill you to the bone winter weather when I was there.

i hate cold weather, but not many early morning/late night in Perth that I don't sit out:cool:

There have been the odd night like that but being able to swim in the middle of the day make up for them.

My brother prefers winter in Sydney. It's a pity some homes can be igloos! The thing that accentuates the feeling of cold is the way it can go from zero to 21 and back again in 24 hrs. I am wrapped up now at 1130 pm but 12 hours ago I could have worn shorts.

Same here in Perth for many. It can lead to be inappropriately dressed for the decline of temperature if unaware and out and about. Still prefer to wear shorts in the house, even without heating and use a blanket to cover if watching a film or something on TV.

Same here in Perth for many. It can lead to be inappropriately dressed for the decline of temperature if unaware and out and about. Still prefer to wear shorts in the house, even without heating and use a blanket to cover if watching a film or something on TV.

I have worn shorts during the winter, and to go to the beach, albeit it with a back up pair of long 'strides' in the car, and four layers above the waist. I've got my beanie on today, and my fleece denim jacket as I type this, but bare feet in my deck shoes!

I have worn shorts during the winter, and to go to the beach, albeit it with a back up pair of long 'strides' in the car, and four layers above the waist. I've got my beanie on today, and my fleece denim jacket as I type this, but bare feet in my deck shoes!

Unless dressing up required, it's shorts most everyday foe me here in Perth. I tend to cycle to the city so suits better. I guess we are a little warmer generally here in Perth compared to Sydney. Although I expect the nights to be much the same. Certainly chilly inside though. Far better outdoors.

Archived