Three and a half months back in the UK

beanbear

So we moved back at the beginning of April and it has been a time of fluctuating emotions. We had lived in Adelaide for over seven years but decided as a family that we wanted to return to our roots to be with family and to be in Europe once again. My children are fourteen and sixteen, not easy ages to resettle in some ways but they were on board for the move and that helped the decision.

We lost out financially with the exchange rate plummeting and our house in Oz barely covering what we paid for it so we returned with about half of what we left with! It is a hugely expensive move to make with shipping and then paying six months rent up front. We had worked everything out ahead of the move but it is still a shock ( as it was when we moved the other way and got through money like water in the first few months!).

We got my son into school with few dramas and he has moved back at a good time as he had one term of English year 9 to do and then he is set up for the two year GCSE course. My daughter will be starting A levels in September but this took some convincing on our part as she had no equivalent to GCSEs. The law now requires that she take English and maths GCSEs so she will be doing those alongside her A levels. It has been a boring time for her as she waits to start school and meet some new friends but we have kept her busy and she is looking forward to starting.

My husband continued to do contract work for his Aussie employer whilst looking for a job and has now started some contract work with a UK firm. He is having to take a UK based industry course next month in order to fully utilise his Masters in sustainable energy systems but hopefully this will lead him to the kind of job he's hoping for.

I was offered a number of teaching jobs, but have now accepted a job as SENCo at a primary school where we live and start in September. There are lots of teaching jobs available!

We we have found that there is loads to do and the only limiting factor is money really - as in getting into London by train is very expensive as is public transport in general. Once there though there are loads of free things to do and we are constantly overwhelmed by the beauty and history back here.

As others have said food is good value. Eating out in general is probably similar to Oz if you're talking restaurants, although Pubs can be cheaper. Other things are dearer and with wages much lower than Oz that is difficult. We moved to an area in Hertfordshire to be near family, but once our children leave home I should imagine we will move up North to afford a house. If you can live outside the South East I would recommend it, with wages for lots of professions being similar but houses costing up to three times less than here!

I think you come to realise that distances are so small here by comparison that it is not scary to move a few hours away from family and there are so many gorgeous parts of the country you'd be spoiled for choice.

We are happy to be back. Since moving back we have had four members of the family diagnosed with cancer, so it is good to be here to support them. It is lovely to make plans with people and to be able to drop in to see them. We do miss our friends in Oz and the bigger houses and space you have there. Ultimately you can't have it all and you have to prioritise what it is you want most.

Upsides: near family, culture, history, proximity to Europe, London and other very varied cities to visit, country walks without snakes, lots to do locally, Pubs, shops, customer service and driving.

Downsides: cost of lots of things - public transport, electrical items etc, rent, petrol; smaller houses, having to establish yourself again with a credit history.

Feel free to ask any questions. ?

So we moved back at the beginning of April and it has been a time of fluctuating emotions. We had lived in Adelaide for over seven years but decided as a family that we wanted to return to our roots to be with family and to be in Europe once again. My children are fourteen and sixteen, not easy ages to resettle in some ways but they were on board for the move and that helped the decision.

We lost out financially with the exchange rate plummeting and our house in Oz barely covering what we paid for it so we returned with about half of what we left with! It is a hugely expensive move to make with shipping and then paying six months rent up front. We had worked everything out ahead of the move but it is still a shock ( as it was when we moved the other way and got through money like water in the first few months!).

We got my son into school with few dramas and he has moved back at a good time as he had one term of English year 9 to do and then he is set up for the two year GCSE course. My daughter will be starting A levels in September but this took some convincing on our part as she had no equivalent to GCSEs. The law now requires that she take English and maths GCSEs so she will be doing those alongside her A levels. It has been a boring time for her as she waits to start school and meet some new friends but we have kept her busy and she is looking forward to starting.

My husband continued to do contract work for his Aussie employer whilst looking for a job and has now started some contract work with a UK firm. He is having to take a UK based industry course next month in order to fully utilise his Masters in sustainable energy systems but hopefully this will lead him to the kind of job he's hoping for.

I was offered a number of teaching jobs, but have now accepted a job as SENCo at a primary school where we live and start in September. There are lots of teaching jobs available!

We we have found that there is loads to do and the only limiting factor is money really - as in getting into London by train is very expensive as is public transport in general. Once there though there are loads of free things to do and we are constantly overwhelmed by the beauty and history back here.

As others have said food is good value. Eating out in general is probably similar to Oz if you're talking restaurants, although Pubs can be cheaper. Other things are dearer and with wages much lower than Oz that is difficult. We moved to an area in Hertfordshire to be near family, but once our children leave home I should imagine we will move up North to afford a house. If you can live outside the South East I would recommend it, with wages for lots of professions being similar but houses costing up to three times less than here!

I think you come to realise that distances are so small here by comparison that it is not scary to move a few hours away from family and there are so many gorgeous parts of the country you'd be spoiled for choice.

We are happy to be back. Since moving back we have had four members of the family diagnosed with cancer, so it is good to be here to support them. It is lovely to make plans with people and to be able to drop in to see them. We do miss our friends in Oz and the bigger houses and space you have there. Ultimately you can't have it all and you have to prioritise what it is you want most.

Upsides: near family, culture, history, proximity to Europe, London and other very varied cities to visit, country walks without snakes, lots to do locally, Pubs, shops, customer service and driving.

Downsides: cost of lots of things - public transport, electrical items etc, rent, petrol; smaller houses, having to establish yourself again with a credit history.

Feel free to ask any questions. 

A really balanced piece, full of optimism, but not short of realism around the obstacles to be faced when returning home. A great read. I feel encouraged, one day it might be us doing the same (fingers crossed!).

Best of luck moving forward.

Hi Beanbear,nice to read your update.Happy to hear you have a job,and your OH will soon hopefully have fulltime employment.I am sorry to read about your family members are ill.I hope all will go as well as expected for them.Yes I agree public transport (especially rail imho)is too expensive,but you can if booking well ahead for longer journeys,save quite a few pounds.It can be expensive starting over again,and rents,depending where you live,can be costly. I will say since being back,I have never been bored.Too much to do,and so little time!:cute:I'd like to wish you and your family a happy future,and I hope it continues all you wish it to be!

Thanks for the good wishes. It's always helpful to know of the experience of others, even if your own experience turns out to be completely different. We were not in the hating Oz camp at all and may end up back there one day, maybe as grey nomads or retirees, who knows?!

The only thing I can say for sure is that you can never plan too far ahead as none of us knows what's around the corner. Live life without regrets - or at least don't regret what you didn't do.

Live life without regrets - or at least don't regret what you didn't do.

Well said. I'm continually beating myself up for not moving back sooner, it's time I stopped and focus on what I can do.

Thanks for posting your experience so far.

Congratulations on making it back. I was pleased to read despite the undoubted stress, you are happy to be back. As Endless Winter said, I am encouraged by your experience. I think we'll be in the same boat as you. Not much money to return with (once all expenses paid) and hoping our kids 15, and 18 by the time we leave, will be able to assimilate into the British way of life.

We are planning to return sometime next year. I do have a job lined up which makes things a bit easier but we're also in the situation where we'll have to be tied to London but like you eventually we'll hopefully move somewhere well away from the Big Smoke.

I'm interested in hearing your experience in terms of finding a rental property and also what problems you may have had with having no credit history. Also, getting car insurance etc.

Please keep updating how things are going if you can.

All the best for the future!

I spent 40+ years in Sussex, was a keen rambler, walked all the time thru countryside - seen 2 adders in my life. I did kill a slow worm with the lawn mower though and have felt guilty ever since.

Love slow worms,(not so slow in summer). Used to find them in my garden, but haven't seen one for ages.

Very few and most are harmless, even the one venomous one is pretty well harmless to all but the sick and very young.

Being a bit ill and having young children that's not a lot of comfort. Funny, we were walking through a field one day and my son bent down and picked up a baby grass snake. It looked just like a snakes alive sweet, only moving. We couldn't see any others so we let it go in the woods.

Being a bit ill and having young children that's not a lot of comfort. Funny, we were walking through a field one day and my son bent down and picked up a baby grass snake. It looked just like a snakes alive sweet, only moving. We couldn't see any others so we let it go in the woods.

No need to worry honestly, snakes are actually quite common even though only a few species. Most people will never see them.

I know a lad who lost his Labrador to an adder bite on Cannock chase

I was speaking to a lady who lost her dog to an adder whilst on holiday in Sussex

That's 2 for you

Yeh but come on, you wouldn't not walk your dog in England because of snakes!

You wouldn't not walk your dog because of snakes in Australia, either! Don't really understand the obsession with them.I have seen maybe 30 odd snakes here in the last 40+ years and most have those have been either in Tassie or in the bush. None of them were aggressive and in fact I felt quite privileged to have come across them.

Thank you for putting up your report beanbear- very interesting and great that you are happy with your move!

There were certainly areas we wouldn't let our dogs go when off the lead in Australia, snake bite is obviously a much bigger issue over there. Long grass or amongst the trees are places to watch. I have friends who have lost dogs to snake bite.

Archived