No chance of Australia becoming a republic!!!!!!!

Mike@Bonbeach

Republic would be great, I can't believe in this day an age that we allow some unelected people to be worshiped and kept in that way... The mind boggles.

An insight into the rough and tumble of Aussie politics though, along with other considerations, may be reason why the rush to become a republic isn't a stampede.

Republic would be great, I can't believe in this day an age that we allow some unelected people to be worshiped and kept in that way... The mind boggles.

The UK is only one of many constitutional monarchies both in Europe and around the world. The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain (who, like Britain experimented with republicanism, and decided the old way was better), Denmark, Sweden, Norway, hardly what you would call a list of backward nations, compared to France/Germany/Italy/Greece/Russia, etc, WHY would you want to change?

Same. I read a letter from someone to prince Charles going on about being his "most obedient and humble servant". Made me feel queasy

The UK is only one of many constitutional monarchies both in Europe and around the world. The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain (who, like Britain experimented with republicanism, and decided the old way was better), Denmark, Sweden, Norway, hardly what you would call a list of backward nations, compared to France/Germany/Italy/Greece/Russia, etc, WHY would you want to change?

Purely on a matter of principle. However good or bad you believe the monarchy are, they are not democratically voted for, they are not recruited through an equal process, they are merely there because they were born Royalty. It seems to stand in the way of everything we believe in. I've had a lot of close experience with royalty from the UK and other nations, and the more experiences I have the more disillusioned I have become with it all (not saying they are bad people, just that they are merely people).

Archived