And the UK election result is.......

srg73

That's bizarre, you don't seriously believe that do you ? The UK people have voted for stability, sensible forward thinking voting.

I live in a safe Tory seat. Unless I want to vote Tory, (and I may vote Tory), my vote is pointless. No point even turning up unless I want to vote Tory. In Australia, it was the same. I lived in a safe liberal seat. Pointless voting unless I voted liberal. Except it wasn't, because they have preferential voting, so my vote isn't wasted, plus - I get to vote for the senate which controls the house of reps. In Australia there is a reason for me to vote. I don't know why I bother in the UK. Thus, Australia is a closer approximation of a democracy that the UK.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That would never happen.

Would be immoral to install a Labour led coalition with less seats than the majority party.

That would never be accepted.

It's an interesting point. I don't think there is anything to stop this happening is there? And why should there be? Five kids - two want to do homework, one wants to play football, one cricket, one basketball - so they should all do homework?

It's an interesting point. I don't think there is anything to stop this happening is there? And why should there be? Five kids - two want to do homework, one wants to play football, one cricket, one basketball - so they should all do homework?

I think usually what happens is the Queen asks the leader of the party with the most seats if he can form a government, so he has first crack at creating a coalition.

I don't believe the public would accept a 2nd and 3rd government in place of No 1 party.

I think usually what happens is the Queen asks the leader of the party with the most seats if he can form a government, so he has first crack at creating a coalition.

I don't believe the public would accept a 2nd and 3rd government in place of No 1 party.

David Cameron is to visit the Queen however as he is already the PM there is no requirement for him to visit, he can just carry on. Maybe he just fancied a cup of tea and chat.

S

Well the British electorate has done the right thing in my opinion, the country needs stability and a tight hand on the purse strings. Regardless of the polls we have seen that the voters see a country with a strong recovery well underway and to jeopardise that with a change of Government wasn't an option.

I live in a safe Tory seat. Unless I want to vote Tory, (and I may vote Tory), my vote is pointless. No point even turning up unless I want to vote Tory. In Australia, it was the same. I lived in a safe liberal seat. Pointless voting unless I voted liberal. Except it wasn't, because they have preferential voting, so my vote isn't wasted, plus - I get to vote for the senate which controls the house of reps. In Australia there is a reason for me to vote. I don't know why I bother in the UK. Thus, Australia is a closer approximation of a democracy that the UK.

Funnily enough yesterday I lived in a very very safe labour seat (61% of votes with 17000 majority); today I have a SNP MP. Safe seats can and are won.

Well the British electorate has done the right thing in my opinion, the country needs stability and a tight hand on the purse strings. Regardless of the polls we have seen that the voters see a country with a strong recovery well underway and to jeopardise that with a change of Government wasn't an option.

My bank balance is certainly looking healthier already!

Funnily enough yesterday I lived in a very very safe labour seat (61% of votes with 17000 majority); today I have a SNP MP. Safe seats can and are won.

I'll have to start the Sussex National Party then and see how I go.

Thinking about the system of proportional representation as we see in Australia how many voters actually bother to list the candidates in any sort of order as opposed to just putting a random number next to them ?

Also can there be real democracy when you are forced to vote ? Isn't that clearly undemocratic ?

Edited by bristolman

Guest Guest66881

286F5C4D00000578-0-image-m-146_1431065211300.jpg

+28

A host of hilarious election-themed memes have popped up on the internet, with one comparing the electoral map to cartoon character Maggie Simpson – yellow on top, blue to the core and with just a dash of red. It came as the SNP took an almost full sweep in Scotland, Labour faced up to a defeat, the Lib Dems crashed out disastrously and the Conservatives remain on course to win the largest number of seats in England

2870A03800000578-0-image-m-131_1431065047203.jpg

+28

One mock-up super-imposed the 8ft manifesto monument unveiled by Ed Miliband into his kitchen. The stone slab featuring his six pledges should Labour have managed to get into government was digitally added into his kitchen which became famous in the lead up to the election

286EA3C700000578-0-image-m-149_1431065237944.jpg

+28

Another meme depicted Ed Miliband in a painting, showing him cowering from the exit polls which revealed Labour were to favour less than he had hoped in the results. As the votes across the country continued to look promising for the Tories, Mr Miliband said he was 'deeply sorry'

286E62C500000578-0-image-a-124_1431064818642.jpg

+28

One meme super-imposed David Cameron's face onto the controversial 'Are You Beach Ready?' adverts which have attracted widespread criticism after being plastered across London. The meme showed the PM's face on a muscly body with 'Are You Election Ready?':laugh:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3073198/The-electoral-map-looks-strangely-familiar-Ed-s-stone-slab-returns-kitchen-table-Internet-memes-poke-fun-long-night-woe-Labour-Lib-Dems.html#ixzz3ZX9xzBNA

Thinking about the system of proportional representation as we see in Australia how many voters actually bother to list the candidates in any sort of order as opposed to just putting a random number next to them ?

Also can there be real democracy when you are forced to vote ? Isn't that clearly undemocratic ?

You're forced to attend a poling station. No one can force you to vote.

You can just vote along party lines, but it's your choice as to whether you fill all the numbers in. I actually prefer optional preferential voting, as I believe in Aust if you don't tick every box your vote is invalid, and those senate forms are so long.

You're forced to attend a poling station. No one can force you to vote.

You can just vote along party lines, but it's your choice as to whether you fill all the numbers in. I actually prefer optional preferential voting, as I believe in Aust if you don't tick every box your vote is invalid, and those senate forms are so long.

Yes bad choice of words, you are forced to attend a polling station, isn't that by definition undemocratic ?

You are not 'forced' to vote though. You leave yourself liable to a fine if you don't so if you are anti-democracy out of principle you can opt to have the fine.

You are not 'forced' to vote though. You leave yourself liable to a fine if you don't so if you are anti-democracy out of principle you can opt to have the fine.

Yes as I said above it was a bad choice of words but I'm sure everyone knew what I was getting at. I'm not saying anything about being anti democracy, what I was isn't compulsory voting anti democratic ?

Yes as I said above it was a bad choice of words but I'm sure everyone knew what I was getting at. I'm not saying anything about being anti democracy, what I was isn't compulsory voting anti democratic ?

No it isn't in my view. You are not obliged to vote for anyone as has been said. You can turn up and spoil your paper. Why do you feel that obliging people to visit a polling station, to appreciate that they actually live in a democracy, is anti-democratic. Not voting is anti-democratic surely.

In pure democracy terms it is. Much akin to a government being returned/voted in on a smaller percentage of national vote. (first ;past the post)Or the compulsory wearing of cycle helmets for that matter.

In pure democracy terms it is. Much akin to a government being returned/voted in on a smaller percentage of national vote. (first ;past the post)Or the compulsory wearing of cycle helmets for that matter.

Yes that's what I was getting at. I didn't care either way as I always voted but forcing people to attend to me seems anti democratic.

Looking at a lot of results in England there has been (give or take) around a 15% drop in Lib Dem support matched by a 15% rise in UKIP while Labour and Tory vote share has not changed much from 2010. I doubt many former Lib Dem voters opted for UKIP though so it looks like they defected to Labour and Conservative but a roughly equivalent number have shifted from the two main parties to UKIP.

You're rambling. What about car seat belts or motorcycle helmets ?

I heard a guy from the motoring party going on about this. It's my head etc etc, if I want to risk caving it in its up to me etc etc.

Ignoring all the emergency workers who get affected.

What relevance does that have anyway ?