Biggest Mistake of my Life!

Beachbum

There are people who have happily made the move in both directions and they are much more tolerant of criticism and much more even-handed in admitting the pros and cons of both countries.

I agree! There are so many positives and negatives on both sides. As an Aussie in London, I get worn out when my Aussie friends here go on about things like the weather in the UK. I'd rather focus on the fact I can go somewhere like France for a weekend trip in just an hour! Moving to London suited me because I was young, single and looking for new adventures in a big global city. It was great for me at that stage in my life. But now I'm partnered up and older, when we move back to Australia next year (hoping my boyfriend's visa gets approved) I want to shift my focus to appreciate things like how lucky we will be to be able to jump in the car and make a quick easy drive to somewhere like the sunshine coast on a sunday! & how nice it'll be to raise kids in a warmer climate where we can enjoy more outdoor activities.

I guess it is easy to end up in arguments about this type of thing because people's experiences are so vastly different. Where you moved to in Oz, who you moved with, your age, your interests, your financial situation, your line of work...and so on. Even people in the same city or job could have had polar opposite experiences. We must all be careful not to generalise. All you can really do is talk about is your own experiences, but not assume that they will necessarily apply to other people.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it nowhere is for everyone. When I was younger the thought of living anywhere other than Australia wasn't even worth considering, over the years things changed and now I think the same about England, I can't imagine living anywhere else but it's still nice to have the choice. So many are stuck in one or the other with no conceivable 'escape', that is very sad.

Horses for courses. We are all different and we all want different things. Some of us are luckier than others we have dual citizenship therefore there is no problem, its just a decision where to stay, how long and maybe return to either country. Because of this my children who were born here also have dual citizenship and so it goes on for the lucky ones. Its always worth staying to get citizenship in either country as we have no crystal ball.

Horses for courses. We are all different and we all want different things. Some of us are luckier than others we have dual citizenship therefore there is no problem, its just a decision where to stay, how long and maybe return to either country. Because of this my children who were born here also have dual citizenship and so it goes on for the lucky ones. Its always worth staying to get citizenship in either country as we have no crystal ball.

Not at all sure that luck has anything to do with it though! did you not plan and work towards achieving your goals?

So I have just read this and my heart is breaking for you.... maybe try another part of Australia where living is cheaper..... so did you talk to hubby? Did you go back to UK?? 

I wonder just where that may be? Australia is unusual in that even regional centres are rather expensive. The places that are cheap are usually so for a reason.

I wonder just where that may be? Australia is unusual in that even regional centres are rather expensive. The places that are cheap are usually so for a reason.

Last six months I have spent time in London, south east England, Singapore , Japan and Queenstown New Zealand . All clearly more expensive than Brisbane Australia. Australia is now coming down the ladder in my opinion. Get out more flag . The worlds changing. Joy with Australia though is we be fit from higher income in most cases.

Last six months I have spent time in London, south east England, Singapore , Japan and Queenstown New Zealand . All clearly more expensive than Brisbane Australia. Australia is now coming down the ladder in my opinion. Get out more flag . The worlds changing. Joy with Australia though is we be fit from higher income in most cases.

Two different things at play here. With the falling Aussie dollar, it makes Australia appear much more affordable for people holding foreign currency. Inward migrants would be happy.

But Australian income has not changed much in relation to prices. Those of us paid in AUD will not have noticed a change in the cost of living or, if we imported a lot of stuff by mail order, the cost of living will have increased. I have always maintained that Australia has a high cost for basic living which has resulted in high minimum wages, but it is very difficult to make exact comparisons on cost of living between countries.

Australia is in fact increasing stuffed. I expect I get out far more than you. Australia is becoming more unaffordable than ever. Take a look at wages. Housing unaffordability is among the worst in the world. NZ though not far behind nor Canada.

Unless a change of course from present flawed neoliberal economic policy there will be an ever growing divide in this country. The population Ponzi being a symptom of the situation we find ourselves in bringing in people in order to maintain housing inflation and lower wages.

Odd my visit to Europe eighteen months ago found Italy cheaper than OZ by a considerable margin. Friends from Switzerland staying several months ago found Australia vastly over priced along with other visitors over recent years, some once regular visitors, no longer interested due to pricing.