How have you found the Aussies?

Sydney has never struck me as particularly cycle friendly, but I guess if you are in Balmain/Rozelle (?) then at least it's not as hilly as across the other side of the harbour bridge...! But still not my idea of easy going.

Yeah, I was surprised by the sudden and random 45-degree hills when I arrived as well... something that looking at Google maps never really prepares you for.

But there are loads of cycle routes, shared pedestrian/cyclist paths, and suggested backroads on the cycle network. There's a route I can take to work around the edge of Rozelle Bay that's (obviously?) almost completely flat. That'll do for me!

Having seen Sydney's traffic I really don't fancy cycling in it. Anzac bridge is also another route, and I see cyclists on it every day, but its uphill and then downhill, and I daresay pretty windy at times.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cyclists are scared of motorists and pedestrians are scared of cyclists. I dread walking that path along the water at Lilyfield past the UTS Rowing Club because it is a shared cycle/pedestrian path. I would feel safer walking on the road.

Walked round there several times in the last couple of weeks. No problem at all. Each to their own. Shared paths all over the place... seems to work OK.

Yeah, I was surprised by the sudden and random 45-degree hills when I arrived as well... something that looking at Google maps never really prepares you for.

But there are loads of cycle routes, shared pedestrian/cyclist paths, and suggested backroads on the cycle network. There's a route I can take to work around the edge of Rozelle Bay that's (obviously?) almost completely flat. That'll do for me!

Having seen Sydney's traffic I really don't fancy cycling in it. Anzac bridge is also another route, and I see cyclists on it every day, but its uphill and then downhill, and I daresay pretty windy at times.

I was looking at Sydney on Google maps the other day and I switched on the "terrain" view - very interesting! You can't zoom in as much as on the flat map view, but still useful to gauge where to cycle / not cycle.

I was looking at Sydney on Google maps the other day and I switched on the "terrain" view - very interesting! You can't zoom in as much as on the flat map view, but still useful to gauge where to cycle / not cycle.

Yeah terrain view doesn't really tell you very much, but if you use the directions feature and choose the little cycle icon it will show you an elevation profile of your route, or -- hopefully -- "mostly flat".

Great tool!

Walked round there several times in the last couple of weeks. No problem at all. Each to their own. Shared paths all over the place... seems to work OK.

I guess it is a matter of perception? I feel unnerved when cyclists flash past me at almost the speed of a car, but unlike cars, you cannot hear them coming up behind you. Some cyclists are considerate, of course, but others don't give a toss. It's the same in Surry Hills where i live, with no shared paths so the cyclists just use the pavements anyway.

Aww MR2!I don't have to sweeten any pills.I rang my daughter last night,and asked her whether what I said,did she find it patronising ok?(She's an aussie)My daughter replied "Mum are you kind of saying Australia is the "teenager"compared to the UK who is kind of "the mother"?Me:Yes exactly!Do you think that sounds patronising?DD:"Not at all,its sounds fine to me"! MR2,I love Australia as I do the UK,I did not mean what I said in a patronising way at all,more a cute,caring kind of way!

So long as you can be sure that any Aussie would accept it as a complement. A 'mother-daughter' relationship does sound OK, as long as it is not implying that the 'daughter' still has some 'growing up' to do.

Well in all honesty maybe some wouldn't accept it as a compliment?Yes I still believe Australia has some growing up to do but in a "nice warm caring"way,not a patronising way as you implied MR2!Not like you to be so bitey?Whats up hon?

"No More Mr Nice Guy!"

Crossings 'pens' with Harpo and Co is only a small part of my PIO identity, but I just can't resist the urge to 'bite!'

And PIO is a 'soap opera' after all. Maybe I should get back into The Archers again.

Reminder the thread is how have you found the Australians?

yesterday was a fairly typical day for me.

Played social bridge (yes I am a boring oldie) 8 ladies, 1 ex Danish, me ex Brit, the other 6 at least 3rd generation Australian's. Did any of us care where we came from? No we just had a great time enjoying each other's company.

Then out for a meal with another other couple of again at least 3rd gen. Australians.

I really don't understand why people have such a problem, perhaps when you are older you have learnt to enjoy life and enjoy each other's company irrespective of where you come from.

Played social bridge (yes I am a boring oldie) 8 ladies, 1 ex Danish, me ex Brit, the other 6 at least 3rd generation Australian's. Did any of us care where we came from? No we just had a great time enjoying each other's company.

Then out for a meal with another other couple of again at least 3rd gen. Australians.

I really don't understand why people have such a problem, perhaps when you are older you have learnt to enjoy life and enjoy each other's company irrespective of where you come from.

Anti-social bridge could be a lot less boring though Ramot:swoon:

Exactly Ramot! Don't quite understand all this analysis of Aussies and Brits psyche. I take people as I find them.

Exactly Ramot! Don't quite understand all this analysis of Aussies and Brits psyche. I take people as I find them.

People who are happy here (or in any other country) don't notice differences between peoples. In effect, they are the perfect "non" racists because they either like or dislike people irrespective of race, gender, nationality, etc. Of course, if you are UNhappy, then you notice every little 'molehill' and turn it into 'Everest' until eventually they have created a 'Himalayas' of discontent. Hence the endless nitpicking about Aussie TV, Aussie patriotism, Aussie this, Aussie that, which most of us never notice!

Funnily enough the people on here whose anal spincters decompensate at the slightest criticism are the poms! Christ knows why.

Probably going a bit off topic, but I've never understood why this happens. Do some people feel that when a criticism is made of an aspect of Australia that it's somehow a criticism of their choice to come and live here, and by extension, of them?

[/b]Probably going a bit off topic, but I've never understood why this happens. Do some people feel that when a criticism is made of an aspect of Australia that it's somehow a criticism of their choice to come and live here, and by extension, of them?

Or, heaven forbid, it may just be their opinion that the criticism is unfounded (in their experience) or, as is generally the case on this forum, a gross generalisatiojn.

[/b]Probably going a bit off topic, but I've never understood why this happens. Do some people feel that when a criticism is made of an aspect of Australia that it's somehow a criticism of their choice to come and live here, and by extension, of them?

no they are just calling bullsh*t when they see it

Or, heaven forbid, it may just be their opinion that the criticism is unfounded (in their experience) or, as is generally the case on this forum, a gross generalisatiojn.

I kind of get that, but it's the vehemence with which some people respond which has always taken me aback. Often it reads like that particular poster has taken a criticism of this country personally. Maybe this is the subject for a separate thread perhaps, but I've often wondered if it stems from the massive investment that people make when moving to Australia in terms of money, time, and particularly emotion? It's such a huge commitment that perhaps criticisms feel like threats which have to be discredited, or angrily refuted or simply bulldozed out of the way? Of course, not everyone responds so emotionally, and I think the particularly canny immigrant takes criticisms of Australia into account and learns from reading about the experiences of others. Some go the other way of course and seem to want to grab their pitch-forks and burn those guilty of heresy! :wink:

You and Harpo have never understood why it happens because in your World you have never really settled here and so find lots of things wrong that you can criticise. Whereas the people that find your criticisms over the top and uncalled for have settled well, love it here and really can't see where you are coming from. They happen to be mostly Poms because it's mostly an ex-pats forum. Simples.:cool:

Hi people, this is one of my first post and I thought I would give my opinion. I have been in Melbourne now for nearly 3 months and have found it to be a lot more racist then I thought it would be. My wife is From Asia and my children are of course mixed race or better still a person. We have had a comment nearly every week from some one in passing. My children have been called half caste, at work and when I explain that it's a racial term because "caste" means pure, so if someone calls a person of mixed race "half-caste" they are calling them unpure! I just get the blank look and then the so this is Australia line. I have also found getting work hard, Its seems to be not what you know but who you know. Other than a lot of very small minded people the country is beautiful, clean, good produce (food) and some really helpful people. But i don't think I'll be staying unless things change with the people and the work front. Now before anyone starts with the "their not all like that" I know but this is my experience and I can't change it, I wish I could as I was so looking forward to coming and was the driving force behind the move and now feel guilty.

i am asian as well & think maybe you are being a bit sensitive because you havent been in oz long enough to get the ozzies. my ozzie sister in law calls her half british half oz kids half caste and doesnt mean anything bad by it. not everything in oz is taken the same way as it is in other places. you might be happier if you tried to get to know the local culture before you take offence at things.

You and Harpo have never understood why it happens because in your World you have never really settled here and so find lots of things wrong that you can criticise. Whereas the people that find your criticisms over the top and uncalled for have settled well, love it here and really can't see where you are coming from. They happen to be mostly Poms because it's mostly an ex-pats forum. Simples.:cool:

Well I can't really speak for Harpo Paul, but he is just about to become an Australian citizen which suggests to me that he and his family are very settled here.

Nearly seven years in I'm probably more settled than I've ever been here. It's not my home of course, and I wouldn't pretend that it is, but it's working out fine at the mo.

I completely understand though that someone like you must find someone like me bewildering. You've been here over twenty years and you love everything that this country has to offer, and so my life of being in Australia all of these years but never really living here must seem weird. :smile:

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. Nobody is going to argue if you say, for instance, that Sydney has a horrible and inadequate road and public transport network.

But it's when someone says something like "All Aussies are rude and racist" (unlike in UK) that rankles.

[/b]Well I can't really speak for Harpo Paul, but he is just about to become an Australian citizen which suggests to me that he and his family are very settled here.

Nearly seven years in I'm probably more settled than I've ever been here. It's not my home of course, and I wouldn't pretend that it is, but it's working out fine at the mo.

I completely understand though that someone like you must find someone like me bewildering. You've been here over twenty years and you love everything that this country has to offer, and so my life of being in Australia all of these years but never really living here must seem weird. [emoji2]

Imagine you are back in the UK "(RE)living the dream", and there are a couple of Aussies there who spend their days complaining about everything British. How would you react?

Archived