Sausages

markb28

A short post. I have always hated the sausages from the supermarket here but.....

I then discovered Jamie Oliver Cumberland pork sausages in Woolworths. Can confirm a genuine English pork sausage experience.

Bit expensive at 8 bucks for 5, but totally worth it.

Give them a try.

Mark

A short post. I have always hated the sausages from the supermarket here but.....

I then discovered Jamie Oliver Cumberland pork sausages in Woolworths. Can confirm a genuine English pork sausage experience.

Bit expensive at 8 bucks for 5, but totally worth it.

Give them a try.

Mark

???????? imported???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just buy butcher's sausages or from farmer's markets - not sure why anyone would buy sausages from supermarkets...

Agreed. My local butchers sells the best sausages I've ever had. Smoked Bacon however... thats a different story.....

If you're into pork, there's Costco Irish Pork, with Aldi pork sausage running 2nd...............I'd rather have the fat in pork than the bread crumb in beef.

I'm selling real pork pies and decent sausages made by a local butcher who originates from SE London.

• 1 month later...

One of the things I do miss in Aus is the UK sausages and bacon. The Aus bacon is weird is a common complaint in the English born half of my family.

For a country so obsessed with BBQs I don't know why they haven't got good sausages. Anyone know any good suppliers in Melbourne?

Guest Mikimoto
One of the things I do miss in Aus is the UK sausages and bacon. The Aus bacon is weird is a common complaint in the English born half of my family.

For a country so obsessed with BBQs I don't know why they haven't got good sausages. Anyone know any good suppliers in Melbourne?

Plenty of good sausages but not usually found in supermarkets. Better bacon too, not that British (Danish) water pumped junk.

Yes, totally agree. I am loving get the bacon here, I had got used to Australian bacon I suppose but it was a revelation when we got back here, so much flavour.

I have to say.... Australia has the worst sausages I have ever tasted..(waiting for the jokes)

Just disgusting..

The thin ones seem to go down better!Although having said that I also like thick ones! Different sizes suit different people right?Some like those cocktail franks,but no,not much pleasure in those I'm afraid.Seen too many in my time! :laugh:

Seriously though,I have brought supermarket sausages and bacon and I really can't tell the difference between Oz ones and the UK ones.Saveloys?Someone told me once all they're made of is lips and a***holes!:biglaugh:

Bacon is very different here, much more flavour. Yes best avoid saveloys or at least don't ask lol

Ive found the bacon here (UK)very salty?Might just be my taste though?I do sometimes buy special varieties of sausages from our local butcher,if I'm having a sausage,they have to be special!:cute:

I don't find the bacon salty here, as you say it may be your taste. We found a lot of bacon in Australia quite fishy as I understand they use a lot of fish meal for feeding the pigs.

I don't find the bacon salty here, as you say it may be your taste. We found a lot of bacon in Australia quite fishy as I understand they use a lot of fish meal for feeding the pigs.

Or it might be your taste..... Your second point is not factual. The sad fact is 70% of Australian bacon & ham etc is made offshore and brought back into Australia where it is heat treated to kill off any nasties (this is the reason for the slightly odd almost cooked consistency of the bacon). You really are better buying bacon from a butcher than the supermarket. http://ausfoodnews.com.au/2010/03/15/bringing-home-the-bacon.html

Archived