Out of the frying pan into the fire

Ohsohappy

WOW that is a very direct response! What I was referring to when I said out of the frying pan into the fire, was the current economic situation. Obviously if there is about to be mass unemployment then what I believe to be so fruitful about Australia would not stand true. Moving to Australia I wish to to envelop in it's culture and differences, that I have absolutely no problem with, I do however also wish to move to give my children a better future with more opportunities so this is what I was referring to. My husband has agreed to move to Oz and we are looking at Victoria where he has aunties and cousins. He is going to apply for a career break and we will rent our house out. I have great courage, determination and vision, however some people i.e. my husband see all possibilities, he has a PhD in Astrophysics, his job was to create models that show all possible outcomes, for this reason he is a lot more wary over choices.

I don't think Aus is heading into a recession anywhere near as bad as Europe and America has had. The interest rates are at record lows, they dropped again last month but are still a lot higher (at 2.25%) than most other countries. That means the reserve bank has room to manoeuvre should the economy need a bit more stimulus.

We came out her in 92, in the middle of a recession, no jobs to come to, it wasn't any better than it was in the UK at the time. Difference was we both gave up good jobs and careers to come, sold our house to pay for the move, had a 2 year old. Never looked back, we never gave any thought to it not working out. If you have confidence in yourselves and you managed to get through tough times in the UK why wouldn't you be able to do the same here?

I think you are over-analysing. You have to be committed and it would help if your husband was all for it too.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We came here over 32 years ago with two teenage girls, both have great jobs and very happy We have been back numerous times to the UK to spend time with family and we know definitely we would not be as happy and fortunate as we are in Adelaide That also goes for our daughters who say although they have had good holidays there they are so glad we brought them here. The climate for us is better as we disliked the cold winters The health system ?, I have no complaints about that,if i need an x ray I get a note from our doctor, ring the department can usually get it done that day and have the choice to sit and wait for the x ray , or have it deliverd to the surgery the following afternoon , no cost!

We came out in 1999 with two working age teenagers, they along with Linda struggled for a couple of years, but now both children call Australia home, they have been back to England a couple of times and seeing what they had there compared to here is why they call Aus home. Friends come and go in both countries as they have their life's to live too, family is slightly different, but ours are very supportive of our decisions.

We do visit England every 12-18 months to see family and friends left behind, and the two grandchildren which have arrived since we came here, still no regrets.

Home is where you make it, not others.

Also a lot depends on where you go in Australia. Some states have more work and more going for them than others.

Just to stir the pot and have some friendly debate...Which would you say are the better states?

Just to stir the pot and have some friendly debate...Which would you say are the better states?

Aha that is stirring the pot! Cerberus' link provides good information, but you also have to consider cost of living vs jobs. For instance, housing in Sydney is so expensive that you have to be earning a high salary to make it a good choice, even though there's more work there than most other capital cities.

Also depends loads on what you do. If I was in the building trades, a sparkie, mining Engineer I would still be heading to WA.

True, States is a bit broad too as North Queensland and South East Queensland are very different in unemployment levels too.

Depends what your profession is. I guess you could discount Tasmania unless you are an ecologist - though it is one of the most physically beautiful states. I would look East rather than West because of the higher population levels and 'connectness' to the rest of Australia.

I think there are a few more options than just ecologist in Tassie!

http://www.migration.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/41927/NC_Final_State_Migration_Plan_14-15.pdf

Very interesting thread . I have been offered a job with sponsorship in Sydney , I am at the final stage of negotiations regarding the contract of employment , I need to know exactly how it compares with my current employment before we can make a decision . I earn £38k here and at the moment $85 k is on the table ... im not too sure if that will be enough for us to survive on in Sydney ... decisions ..decisions .

I wish we had come to Tasmania years ago but we kind of just got on the eat, sleep and work routine in Sydney. Of course we had holidays (in Tasmania :wink:) but it just became our dream to retire here, especially when my husband's health became an issue. Yes, the work is in Sydney but as previous posters have stated, the price of houses there is just daft now.

Very interesting thread . I have been offered a job with sponsorship in Sydney , I am at the final stage of negotiations regarding the contract of employment , I need to know exactly how it compares with my current employment before we can make a decision . I earn £38k here and at the moment $85 k is on the table ... im not too sure if that will be enough for us to survive on in Sydney ... decisions ..decisions .

Nope that will be a struggle especially on a temporary visa. I certainly wouldn't like to be doing it in Sydney and especially not if I had kids.

Having the rent paid would make a huge difference and if that is the case 85,000 might be sustainable.If you also just have the one child, that would make things easier re school fees etc. It is surprising how cheaply you can live once you know where to go - you certainly don't have to pay CBD rates for food etc, just look around and ask people who live near where you are.

I guess one of the real reasons I want to go is because I literally don't think I can handle another Scottish winter, I am so much happier in the summer months, even now, here i February things are getting a bit brighter, but nov, december and january are just so harsh. I would say I definitely suffer from SAD and have low vitamin d and b12

Addenbrookes recently called a state of emergency in a&e ( as did several other hospitals)

http://www.cambstimes.co.uk/news/addenbrooke_s_hospital_declares_state_of_emergency_and_warns_only_to_attend_a_e_unless_it_is_absolutely_essential_1_3907713

And it's renowned for closing it's doors on maternity as they're too busy, diverting women in labour some distance away.

Maybe this happens in Oz too.

The NHS do the best they can in a woefully underesourced service.

There is also a GP shortage crisis. They can't fill the jobs as not enough young Drs want to become GPs.

As far as I am aware the hospitals are better resourced than the UK and the GP shortage is real in both v=countries, seems to be a lot of younger UK trained GPs here though I have to say...

I guess one of the real reasons I want to go is because I literally don't think I can handle another Scottish winter, I am so much happier in the summer months, even now, here i February things are getting a bit brighter, but nov, december and january are just so harsh. I would say I definitely suffer from SAD and have low vitamin d and b12

Low vit D can be about more than sun but you'll definitely enjoy more of it here...I like the weather here its a big plus...despite hot hot heat and rainy windy winter days..still better

One of the reasons we moved back to Scotland was because I literally couldn't stand another Australian summer :)

Low Vit D is a bigger problem in Australia bizarrely because there is much more focus on keeping out of the sun - there was campaigns when I lived there encouraging people to spend 15 mins a day in the sun to combat it!

One thing to consider is if you really do have SAD (& I'm not questioning it but it is a specific brain disorder which is quite different from feeling down 'cos the weather is shite and your bored with life - I have a bad case of that myself right now!) then bear in mind it is daylight not sunlight that is the trigger and you do not get the long summer days in Australia that you do in Scotland so you may find the level of happiness you get in the summer in Scotland isn't quite the same in Australia. Victoria does have longer days than say Darwin or Cairns though so in terms of Australia it's a good choice.

Absolutely with you on that.

One of the reasons we moved back to Scotland was because I literally couldn't stand another Australian summer :)

Low Vit D is a bigger problem in Australia bizarrely because there is much more focus on keeping out of the sun - there was campaigns when I lived there encouraging people to spend 15 mins a day in the sun to combat it!

One thing to consider is if you really do have SAD (& I'm not questioning it but it is a specific brain disorder which is quite different from feeling down 'cos the weather is shite and your bored with life - I have a bad case of that myself right now!) then bear in mind it is daylight not sunlight that is the trigger and you do not get the long summer days in Australia that you do in Scotland so you may find the level of happiness you get in the summer in Scotland isn't quite the same in Australia. Victoria does have longer days than say Darwin or Cairns though so in terms of Australia it's a good choice.

Yes, but even in the summer in Oz you can get early morning or evening sun if you need it. But with SAD it is less the sun and more the light levels as even cloudy UK summer weather is good. It is not really even the shortness of the days but the fact that even here down south there are so many days when you have to have lights on all day.

Archived