Out of the frying pan into the fire

Ohsohappy

I can't say I've ever felt the heat was unbearable here, apart from when the A/C broke down;) I guess I'd feel the same about the cold if the heating broke down in the UK..in fact I can remember living in a flat in my 20s and getting the bus home one snowy day..took an eternity as all were delayed...when I got home I was chilled to the bone for hours...literally couldn't get warm.....for the most part here in Perth the weather is actually beautiful, I don't know how anyone could disagree....take today for example, a nice warm summers day, air con not required, the temp at 6pm when I came out of the shops was absolutely perfect, spot on. Just warm...sat outside till 7 just because I could...the climate here is a big pull for me and my husband.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't say I've ever felt the heat was unbearable here, apart from when the A/C broke down;) I guess I'd feel the same about the cold if the heating broke down in the UK..in fact I can remember living in a flat in my 20s and getting the bus home one snowy day..took an eternity as all were delayed...when I got home I was chilled to the bone for hours...literally couldn't get warm.....for the most part here in Perth the weather is actually beautiful, I don't know how anyone could disagree....take today for example, a nice warm summers day, air con not required, the temp at 6pm when I came out of the shops was absolutely perfect, spot on. Just warm...sat outside till 7 just because I could...the climate here is a big pull for me and my husband.

So it is unbearable without aircon? Which means in that kind of heat (which to be fair only lasts about a month) you are stuck indoors (or in a shopping centre or in a cinema) just like you are in the UK in winter.

We only had one house with aircon and ended up with a $400 electricity bill, we never used it again! We have certainly never had heating bills in the UK like that. It was a very old system but as it was rented house it was what it was and nothing we could do about it.

The last couple of days have been gorgeous here too - I walked down to my friends house at 8pm last night - yes I had a jacket on but I certainly wasn't cold and the air was fresh and still, it was lovely. When I went out at lunchtime today it was bright blue skies and sunshine. No doubt back to snow and rain next week, it is February after all but there is probably only a month of restrictive weather here too.

The climate in Perth is perfect for about 9 months of the year though, I do agree on that :) I found the summer miserable a lot of the time though and in the winter I was colder than I'd ever experienced in the UK since I was a student living in a damp house without central heating.

I can't say I've ever felt the heat was unbearable here, apart from when the A/C broke down;).

That tells me that it does get unbearably hot where you live - you just stay indoors on those days. For those of us who don't like being stuck in the house all day, air con is not a solution!

In Sydney, days like that now stretch from November all the way through to March.

It's not going to get to Greece levels of unemployment, but it's pointless looking at macro economic data anyway you need to find out information which is specifically relevant to you. My inexpert prediction would be that things directly connected to mining and manufacturing will experience tough times as China slows down and manufacturing companies cannot compete with Asia. Doctors and Nurses on the other hand will always be needed.

This thread makes me laugh, it's too hot, it's too cold, it's probably too wet or dry as well!!

So many posters moaning.

have lived in UK, Germany, Africa, Borneo and Oz, strangely enough every country has a climate, every country has inclement weather for part of the year, it's usually the remaining months that make the difference to where you want to be.

That tells me that it does get unbearably hot where you live - you just stay indoors on those days. For those of us who don't like being stuck in the house all day, air con is not a solution!

In Sydney, days like that now stretch from November all the way through to March.

Yes no doubting it does get unbearably hot at times, but maybe I didn't clarify in my post..I meant on a handful of days only, like when it's 42 outside and the aircon brings it down to 32 indoors (only have evaporative) I can't remember a day like that this Summer but I can last Summer...even on such a day of course you can get outside, in the morning and the evening and we always do. All hot countries operate that way in Summer. Take this week for example..most days I have had the fans going when I've been doing any work inside the house (to avoid getting sweaty) but NO aircon, temps are fairly typical this week for Feb (hottest month of the year)...if it goes above 33ish I put aircon on but I know I am quite sensitive to heat indoors...others would wait till it was hotter.

So no...I don't buy into the idea that summer heat means staying indoors all day and the heat is welcome on the hottest days as you move into the evening (for me anyway) It's my favourite part of living here, I love warm evenings spent outdoors and when it doesn't get 'hot' by day you just don't get that...

So it is unbearable without aircon? Which means in that kind of heat (which to be fair only lasts about a month) you are stuck indoors (or in a shopping centre or in a cinema) just like you are in the UK in winter.

We only had one house with aircon and ended up with a $400 electricity bill, we never used it again! We have certainly never had heating bills in the UK like that. It was a very old system but as it was rented house it was what it was and nothing we could do about it.

The last couple of days have been gorgeous here too - I walked down to my friends house at 8pm last night - yes I had a jacket on but I certainly wasn't cold and the air was fresh and still, it was lovely. When I went out at lunchtime today it was bright blue skies and sunshine. No doubt back to snow and rain next week, it is February after all but there is probably only a month of restrictive weather here too.

The climate in Perth is perfect for about 9 months of the year though, I do agree on that :) I found the summer miserable a lot of the time though and in the winter I was colder than I'd ever experienced in the UK since I was a student living in a damp house without central heating.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere where the weather made me miserable LR so I guess you made the right call moving away from it. We all have our personal preferences. I wonder if your Australian experience would have had a different ending had you moved to a different state with cooler summers? Or even further south in WA where the Summers are like the Med and the winters cold and rainy (but most homes are adequately set up for the cold) Unlike Perth.

This thread makes me laugh, it's too hot, it's too cold, it's probably too wet or dry as well!!

So many posters moaning.

have lived in UK, Germany, Africa, Borneo and Oz, strangely enough every country has a climate, every country has inclement weather for part of the year, it's usually the remaining months that make the difference to where you want to be.

Good point! That means Perth beats the UK hands down for me.

we installed evaporative aircon into our house just last November. Did without as we saw no reason, and no great suffering, but want to sell the house in the not-too-distant future, so thinking of resale value. As a youngster here in Perth we never had aircon, never knew what it was. We all did just fine. BTW, golf in 35C can be a bit trying, but it does not stop me. 40C is a bit much, so I wait until the evening temperatures. Just got to love life in Perth!

So no...I don't buy into the idea that summer heat means staying indoors all day and the heat is welcome on the hottest days as you move into the evening (for me anyway) It's my favourite part of living here, I love warm evenings spent outdoors and when it doesn't get 'hot' by day you just don't get that...

"For me anyway" is the key, of course. Not everyone has the same tolerance for heat (or cold, for that matter). Humidity is a big factor too - I can tolerate well over 30 degrees in dry heat but if it's humid, I will have sweat dripping off my nose and trickling down my back well before it hits 28 degrees - which happens a lot of the year in Sydney. It's one of the reasons I considered moving to Adelaide at one point.

I don't think Aus is heading into a recession anywhere near as bad as Europe and America has had. The interest rates are at record lows, they dropped again last month but are still a lot higher (at 2.25%) than most other countries. That means the reserve bank has room to manoeuvre should the economy need a bit more stimulus.

We came out her in 92, in the middle of a recession, no jobs to come to, it wasn't any better than it was in the UK at the time. Difference was we both gave up good jobs and careers to come, sold our house to pay for the move, had a 2 year old. Never looked back, we never gave any thought to it not working out. If you have confidence in yourselves and you managed to get through tough times in the UK why wouldn't you be able to do the same here?

I think you are over-analysing. You have to be committed and it would help if your husband was all for it too.[/quote

There's no one more positive about Perth than you .... never have a bad word so say about the place ! Bet u even see the good in 43 degree day.

We had one day over 43 degrees last year. We would have been on the beach that day, as it was Saturday, so it would have been lovely there. Doubt I would have liked it if I'd been up in the hills or shopping in Joondalup.:wink: We had maybe 4 days over 40 for the whole summer, 15 days over 35. So it's not as hot as some people make out. There can be massive differences too, between living near the Ocean and a couple of kilometres in-land. Rottnest, for example, only had one day over 35.

Don't forget we don't get the humidity that the Eastern States get either, it's usually a dry heat so doesn't feel anywhere near as uncomfortable. I've walked around Brisbane in 30 degrees and my shirt has been soaking and felt much hotter, more sweaty than here in 40 degrees.

I should get a job with the tourist board.:wink:

We lived without any aircon for nearly 20 years. Only had it the last few and we only use it on the odd day. We don't have it in the bedrooms, just the living area. So it's not unbearable without it. It's a nice to have, especially if you don't live near the coast.

I've never stayed indoors because of the weather here. Couldn't bare to stay inside for a whole day. Even on 40 degree days it's only like that in the hottest part of the day. Early morning and evening would be gorgeous to be outside.

I've never stayed indoors because of the weather here. Couldn't bare to stay inside for a whole day. Even on 40 degree days it's only like that in the hottest part of the day. Early morning and evening would be gorgeous to be outside.

I'm living in the Eastern States, remember, where it's a lot more humid. I used to be able to cope better, but as I get older I find humidity harder and harder to tolerate, and now I feel physically sick if it's over 30 degrees and humid.

Shows we are all different. I have only felt uncomfortable for about 2-3 weeks this year for humidity (only from 7pm onwards when the sun has gone down).

When I went to Melbourne early Jan it was 40 degrees and the sun felt like it was burning a hole in me. Give me Daytime Brisbane any day over that.

Shows we are all different. I have only felt uncomfortable for about 2-3 weeks this year for humidity (only from 7pm onwards when the sun has gone down).

When I went to Melbourne early Jan it was 40 degrees and the sun felt like it was burning a hole in me. Give me Daytime Brisbane any day over that.

....and I'm remembering sauntering along Rundle Mall in 40 degrees and being perfectly happy, whereas half an hour on the Gold Coast in 30 degrees had me retreating back to the hotel quick smart!

I think the main reason I've survived in Sydney for so long is not that I used to tolerate humidity better - it's just that for most of my life, I've been working during the hottest hours of the day Monday to Friday, and then there's stuff like housework to do on the weekends, so I missed a lot of the worst of it without realising it.

That was extremely unusual last year in Melbourne. The worst ever I think.

This year we haven't had a single day of 40 degrees.

A very mild summer really.

That was extremely unusual last year in Melbourne. The worst ever I think.

This year we haven't had a single day of 40 degrees.

A very mild summer really.

It has a heat wave every time I go to Melbourne (I know it's not normal). This year was no different, I was there 2/3 Jan and it was 40!

It does make me laugh people saying it was too hot in Australia for them. Australia hot? No sh#t Sherlock! The data is there for anyone to read. Seriously, a bit of research come on folks.

Some people just like complaining. There is no perfect climate because you acclimatise and things start feeling cold or hot again.

One of the main things I love about Melbourne is the changeable weather.

In summer you tend to get a week of warm to hot weather but then you get a cold change for a few days.

Great for cooling the house down when you don't have air con like me.

I much prefer the dry heat to the humid weather too.

Archived