Out of the frying pan into the fire

Ohsohappy

I still think the hottest place I've been was Crete. Me and the wife went there on holiday once and hired a motorbike, like we used to in Corfu. We looked at the map and not the scale of the map and assumed Crete was about the same size as Corfu.:laugh: Decided we would take a ride to the other side of the Island. About an hour into the ride we were going past a huge windfarm (first time I'd ever seen one, This was back in the 80's for all those that think Greece is a bit backward) we stopped to have a look and realised how hot it was. It was like someone holding a hair dryer on you. My wife covered her shoulders with her towel but I couldn't really do much about my legs on the bike. She has a lot fairer skin than me and ended up with a massive blister on her shoulder. She still has the scar.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does make me laugh people saying it was too hot in Australia for them. Australia hot? No sh#t Sherlock! The data is there for anyone to read. Seriously, a bit of research come on folks.

How can you know what living in 40 degrees feels like from research? My only experience of that sort of heat was on holiday and that is completely different.

it's not about data it's about experience. Very many migrants to be think it'll be wonderful living in a hot climate (I know I did!) and it might just be helpful for people who actual live there to be honest about it. There is lots of positives about the Perth climate (& I say Perth as it's the one we both have experienced) but it still has 'bad' weather, days (not weeks or months) when you'd rather stay indoors.

Surely part of the research people should do is reading other people's experiences? So yes no **** Sherlock its hot but what does that mean to you? How does that feel? How do you adapt? I defy anyone to say they enjoy being outdoors at midday in office attire in 43 degrees with two heavy bags of groceries (& when you are a full time working mum that can be reality! It's not a holiday!)

How can you know what living in 40 degrees feels like from research? My only experience of that sort of heat was on holiday and that is completely different.

it's not about data it's about experience. Very many migrants to be think it'll be wonderful living in a hot climate (I know I did!) and it might just be helpful for people who actual live there to be honest about it. There is lots of positives about the Perth climate (& I say Perth as it's the one we both have experienced) but it still has 'bad' weather, days (not weeks or months) when you'd rather stay indoors.

Surely part of the research people should do is reading other people's experiences? So yes no **** Sherlock its hot but what does that mean to you? How does that feel? How do you adapt? I defy anyone to say they enjoy being outdoors at midday in office attire in 43 degrees with two heavy bags of groceries (& when you are a full time working mum that can be reality! It's not a holiday!)

That's like saying you don't know if you can live in the UK until you have experienced -3 degrees. Not exactly a daily occurrence

Only mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun.

While I take your point would-be migrants on this site regularly read that the heat is no problem or dire depending on who writes it. The reality is that there are many more consistently hot and humid places on the planet inhabited by millions of people than the east coast of Australia. Some people seem to adapt better to heat and/or humidity than others and the same applies to colder climes as well. I know people who think the UK is too hot for them....really!

Living somewhere is different to being on holiday though for sure and you are probably correct that many don't give that part near enough thought.

It does make me laugh people saying it was too hot in Australia for them. Australia hot? No sh#t Sherlock! The data is there for anyone to read. Seriously, a bit of research come on folks.

To be fair, I find it's one thing to go to Benidorm or the like and laze about in the sun for a week, ad another thing to have to do the gardening, lug shopping bags etc in the same heat. And if you love rambling or outdoor sports but have never tried doing them in hot weather, you probably don't realise just how much effect it will have.

My sister adores hot weather and is off to Spain or Italy at the drop of a hat, but last year she went to Majorca with her daughter and new grandson. She couldn't wait to get home - she said it made her realise how little she normally does on holiday, because she couldn't handle the heat when she had to run around after the wee boy.

Heat genuinly doesn't bother me, you adapt, it's exactly what I expected, and partly why we emigrated here If I was surprised by anything it was that the temperature can go so low in winter. Having said that though, I've used the aircon probably on 6 days so far this year. And I've not had any form of heating in two years. This evening (4.15pm ) it's a breezy 24c and I actually feel a little chilly :laugh:

To be fair, I find it's one thing to go to Benidorm or the like and laze about in the sun for a week, ad another thing to have to do the gardening, lug shopping bags etc in the same heat. And if you love rambling or outdoor sports but have never tried doing them in hot weather, you probably don't realise just how much effect it will have.

My sister adores hot weather and is off to Spain or Italy at the drop of a hat, but last year she went to Majorca with her daughter and new grandson. She couldn't wait to get home - she said it made her realise how little she normally does on holiday, because she couldn't handle the heat when she had to run around after the wee boy.

Winter is great here for rambling and outdoor sports. Summer is also great for outdoor sports, we do triathlons all year round and lots of beach and Ocean based sports. Go down any surf club on Sunday mornings and there are literally hundreds of people doing stuff. Mostly kids from 7 years old.

Mountain bike riding and running and walking in the hills is great in winter.

That's why I enjoy the time off here so much more. It's like being on holiday every weekend. Do the shopping on Thursday night or something when it's cool.

I love the weather here- love the variety where you can be round 40C and 30 minutes later about 18. We rarely get frost so miss that freezing cold yucky stuff that makes your toes feel like they will drop off. The only thing that makes me nervous is when you get the odd 40C + day with high Northerly winds- some idiot usually starts a fire and we all have to live on the edge of our seats until the danger passes.

Heat genuinly doesn't bother me, you adapt, it's exactly what I expected, and partly why we emigrated here If I was surprised by anything it was that the temperature can go so low in winter. Having said that though, I've used the aircon probably on 6 days so far this year. And I've not had any form of heating in two years. This evening (4.15pm ) it's a breezy 24c and I actually feel a little chilly :laugh:

YOU adapted. Everyone acclimatises to some extent, but not everyone acclimatises completely. For some people the heat (or the cold in the UK) is something they tolerate for the sake of other benefits of being in that country - then if the benefits don't materialise, or things change for the worse, the weather may just tip the balance of whether to stay or not. Also remember you're talking about the heat in Mandurah, WA, which is nothing like the heat in Sydney or Brisbane or Melbourne - differences in humidity, sea breezes, UV index, etc etc.

That's like saying you don't know if you can live in the UK until you have experienced -3 degrees. Not exactly a daily occurrence

No but I think LR thinks on the same lines as I do.Some people who think about emigrating base the weather factor,on their week they spent on a greek island on "holiday". Yes nice in 35c+ when all you're doing is laying on a sun lounge with a cool drink,and can jump in a pool when it gets too much,and not have work to consider.I don't like extremes in either country if I am honest.Was'nt fond of 38c+ and not fond of driving on snow packed roads!:cool:(Its weird hanging your washing out on a hot day and getting it back in half an hour later lol)

Imagine living in Russia where you get minus 20 degrees.

That was my point, you can't imagine - you think you know but you don't until you've done it - I've experienced -30 in Canada and I would have expected it to be unbearable but it wasn't at all. I personally found it easier to manage than +40 degrees but I was on holiday though and just like holidaying in the heat, there are a lot of practicalities you don't have to worry about plus I didn't have children then.

Funny we very seriously considered Canada, my skills were on their 'fast-track' visa list and it was the weather that swung it, ah well you live and learn and the weather had no bearing on us moving back. My first choice was NZ actually and on our reccie we went to Perth, Sydney, Auckland and Queenstown - we had two weeks of gorgeous winter sunshine in Perth, picnicked in King's Park (& got sunburnt!), had an amazing day on Rottnest and went to deserted beaches. Sydney was never a consideration and in Auckland it rained the entire time we were there and so the die was cast!

One day when I have no responsibility to anyone I might spend some time in NZ now I have citizenship.

Archived