Are people still moving here ?

Angela Claire

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately yes, Abbott is very unpopular amongst the maritime circles. Why should Australian waters be treated differentially to the Australian mainland in respect of immigration controls and the workforce.

Well debatable to what extent it is with the new visa allowing business to import whoever without checks. But I take your point. I recall when the powers that be claimed the demise of the Australian Merchant Marine was brought about by union demands. All too few vessels under Australian flag these days especially those of commerce. Hardly unique in the world of shipping though and use of flag of convenience.

Guest Guest66881
I take it you didn't get knocked of your bar stool or covered in beer. You must have remained invisible.

Why would that have happened, everyone likes me so much:wink:

Who got knocked off a stool? Can't blame me this time :wink::laugh:

You must have been tucked up when the feathers flew. Some interlopers from another table I expect. Possibly upset with the gaggle of Poms in the vicinity. No actually all part of the bonding process. A required ritual from what I hear. Scared me away anyway.

You must have been tucked up when the feathers flew. Some interlopers from another table I expect. Possibly upset with the gaggle of Poms in the vicinity. No actually all part of the bonding process. A required ritual from what I hear. Scared me away anyway.

Ah I was working so missed it. Whoever designed high stool when alcohol is around needs shooting, major design flaw.

• 4 weeks later...

The thing is people who are coming now depending what they do have missed the boat a little or a lot ....if you work in oil and gas or mining ...I wouldn't bother coming just yet ...water industry are laying off too ...I know because my hubbies friend works for water corp ...in perth ....he said just let people find out for themselves because nobody believes u anyway ...they don't want believe it ...well I don't want believe it , but I wouldn't want anyone get here and not get a job ...

ya see no one believes you they shoot ya down for having yr opinion on things I have been saying it a while like 2 yrs lol ...

I may not explain my self very well but I'm not interested in big words. Just get to the point ...NO JOBS .

people say of course there's work ...ya mental ...we are booming hairdressers bricklayers ect ....what they are missing to see is where do people have the money from to have their hair done ,

why do houses get built so people buy them who have jobs without a job u cannot pay the mortgage

Coffee shops restaurants ect ...will all suffer ...so when I have people turning around to me for saying what I was listening to and see people shot me down , not that I'm bothered I believe what my hubbies saying ...he's never been wrong yet all my married life lol ...I do wish anyone well who have the balls to try it it's not easy , not just perth is effected other states are too ATM .

Hi All

Oh dear was just about to post asking for advice on gaining an Aussie Trade Certificate for Hubby he is a Mechanical/Pipe Fitter works on chemical sites, we have PR visa and are just about to put our house on the market, gutted as have like everyone else we have put everything into moving out to Perth with our 4 children, very worrying giving up our jobs home etc.

Hi All

Oh dear was just about to post asking for advice on gaining an Aussie Trade Certificate for Hubby he is a Mechanical/Pipe Fitter works on chemical sites, we have PR visa and are just about to put our house on the market, gutted as have like everyone else we have put everything into moving out to Perth with our 4 children, very worrying giving up our jobs home etc.

Take a career break and let out your home - belt and braces! Don't give up jobs/home if you can help it.

Hi All

I can't comment on the job situation in Perth but you do need to sit down and think about WHY you want to move to Australia. So many Brits have a vision of Australia as a place to have "a better life" with more opportunities for their children. Well, you can have a more outdoorsy life with more sunshine, but apart from that it's not a better life, or a worse life, it's just different. There are NOT more opportunities for your children, because job opportunities are actually much more limited here than in the UK - we may be a big place but it's a small population.

While jobs were plentiful and there was a chance of earning big bucks from mining, there was an argument that you could come out for an adventure, even with 4 kids. Now you need to ask yourself, can I afford to pay the airfares, the shipping, the weeks in temp accommodation, the cost of setting up house again, buying a car (which of course you've already worked out, haven't you?), if I then have to pay the same again to go home?

I'd say the only sensible option would be for your husband to go over to Perth on his own and see whether he can get a job, then the rest of the family flies over if he does.

It should be recalled immigration along with housing (the two go together) is what is sustaining the Australian economy now. Without the highest levels of migration in history or very close to we would be experiencing the early stages of a recession. Still may not hold it back of course as all economic indicators are gloomy and those in power have little idea what to do. Lower interest rates have failed to work to date apart from setting off Sydney house prices (especially)to dangerous levels.

Increasingly competitive in the declining job market, although migrants do appear favoured in many areas over locals according to stats, very high housing costs all add up to a degree of bravery required in making a move to unchartered waters.

Hi All

We did it in 92 in the middle of a recession here and the UK. Both gave up good jobs in the UK with nothing to come to here. I was out of work for 5 months, unemployment was something like 11%. Perth is still the best state with rates at about 5%. Don't let a few scare stories put you off. Sure it could all turn to crap when you come, might do that where you live too.

Hi All

as a proffessional in the mining industry, I would not recomend you move at the moment. I am in month 8 of unemployment.

If you have jobs at the moment, I would put it on hold for now.