visa entry by 11th june, but sons gcses finish 22nd!

shoolhouse

Hi, we are a family of 4 which applied 5years ago on the old 175 (hairdresser) we went through police checks and meds last summer and been given a time slot from 26th August 14 till 11th June 15. Its such a busy year with my sons gcse, mocks, course work, revision during the holidays I really cant see us going over for a holiday to validate it.has anyone else been in my shoes. Ive been told to let the visa run out then put my case to them but this is risky. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I wouldnt say thats the best advice ever! They cant just make an exception because you have a busy year, I would be finding time to validate unless you want to pay for a new visa, thats if your skill is still on the list, he can always bring his books with him!

Depending on when you come over for real, your son's GCSE's may mean something. Our son has just started Year 12 (their final year) and in order to get enough marks to make Uni possible, they are taking his GCSE results into consideration as without them, he would've had to do Years 11 and 12 and he would've been way older than everyone else.

You may have to book flights here and back and just take the hit to validate it?? Go a quieter time maybe??

Thanks for all your replies. It was the migration agent that said to let it run out.iout.it would be nice to go for a relaxing holiday not a rushed one . such a shame after being kept waiting for5 years they don't even give us a year to validate it.ok thanks everyone

Thanks for all your replies. It was the migration agent that said to let it run out.iout.it would be nice to go for a relaxing holiday not a rushed one . such a shame after being kept waiting for5 years they don't even give us a year to validate it.ok thanks everyone

I've heard some shocking advise from some migration agents. I'm SURE some have just been so they could make more money trying to sort out messes. There are a few in here regularly praised. It would be worth contacting one of those as they are well known for being fair.

Why do people apply to come here then hesitate for so long before coming over? You could drive a road train through the window you're given. It's not like it's a surprise, is it?

It must be very difficult if you were expecting a years grace to validate, and your son would have worked very hard for his GCSE's; do you know why they haven't given you a year?

Possibly could try to request a short extension if that wasn't granted then I guess you would need to take a short validation trip if you want and your son wants to sit his GCSE's before he leaves - then he can be sent the results via post. Trouble is you never know if you will want to stay in OZ forever until you get there; and he may need his GCSE results if you return :-/ Difficult decision I guess it is extra money vs GCSE's if you cant get an extension.

Good luck :-)

Hi, we are a family of 4 which applied 5years ago on the old 175 (hairdresser) we went through police checks and meds last summer and been given a time slot from 26th August 14 till 11th June 15. Its such a busy year with my sons gcse, mocks, course work, revision during the holidays I really cant see us going over for a holiday to validate it.has anyone else been in my shoes. Ive been told to let the visa run out then put my case to them but this is risky. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

That is very bad advice you have been given, it clearly states on your grant paperwork that this date can not be changed, 9 months to validate is not very short in time and is more than a lot of people get.

No one gets a year to validate, not sure where you have seen this, validation dates are based 12 months from the earliest date of medicals or police checks. People who have health undertakings only get 6 months from earliest date.

I have never seen a validation date being changed, but have read on the forum it was only changed once when one if the migration party died.

Validations can be done by entering and leaving Australia, without spending anytime there. I wouldn't risk not validating or at least one of the Adults should, this will give the option of sponsoring the rest of the family, but the cost of partner and child visas are expensive, and processing times are now around 12 months for partner visas.

You've got 4 months to find a few days and the funds to make a quick trip to validate the visa. The suggestion that you can simply let the visa expire and then ask DIBP to make an exception is (in my opinion) mind-boggling. Short of a life-threatening medical emergency, I wouldn't expect DIBP to make any exception. If you can't make the trip, I'd plan to spend a lot of money applying for a new visa (the money that you would have spent on airfare for your validation trip).

You have been very badly advised. If you don't all enter to validate before 11 June, you will lose your visas and will have zero chance of getting them back again. I find it hard to credit that an agent would actually suggest that putting your case about a lapsed visa would have the slightest chance of success. Forget about asking for an extension. You won't get one.

If you're serious about moving to Australia, you'll just have to bite the bullet and make at least a validation trip. If you don't, the only way you will ever be able to move to Australia is by starting (and paying for) a new visa application from scratch. Because your occupation is no longer on the SOL and is therefore not eligible for an Independent visa, you would have to go for a state sponsored 190 permanent visa (assuming your occupation is on a state list and the state is willing to nominate you) but do you realise how much VACs have risen since you applied for your 175? For a family of 4, the VAC alone is now $7040 and you would also need a new skills assessment (approx. another $2000) and more medicals and PCCs. Much cheaper to come for a quick validation trip.

Just a thought on this, the reason you had to wait 5 years was because you didn't apply for State Sponsorship to speed up the process ?

I should also point out that GCSEs mean nothing in Australia - the emphasis here is entirely on years 11 and 12. If you intend making a permanent move, whatever GCSE results your son achieves will be ignored by the Australian school system. No studying is ever wasted but GCSEs per se are meaningless here.

I should also point out that GCSEs mean nothing in Australia - the emphasis here is entirely on years 11 and 12.

This is important. Australian schools don't have public exams at the end of year 10 (age 16) and the few people who leave school at that age are seen as having dropped out. So the focus should be on getting enrolled in a good school for the start of 2016 to do years 11 and 12 regardless of whether or not GCSEs have been sat. It's actually a pity you didn't move during January as you could have started at a school for year 11 last week.

It must be very difficult if you were expecting a years grace to validate, and your son would have worked very hard for his GCSE's; do you know why they haven't given you a year?

Possibly could try to request a short extension if that wasn't granted then I guess you would need to take a short validation trip if you want and your son wants to sit his GCSE's before he leaves - then he can be sent the results via post. Trouble is you never know if you will want to stay in OZ forever until you get there; and he may need his GCSE results if you return :-/ Difficult decision I guess it is extra money vs GCSE's if you cant get an extension.

Good luck :-)

The validation year is from the date of your police checks or medical (whichever is the earliest) and not from visa grant. Some people front load documentations and run the risk of being given a shorter validation period which is fine if you're ready to go.

I should also point out that GCSEs mean nothing in Australia - the emphasis here is entirely on years 11 and 12. If you intend making a permanent move, whatever GCSE results your son achieves will be ignored by the Australian school system. No studying is ever wasted but GCSEs per se are meaningless here.

This advice is wrong. At least for Queensland. My son has a decent set of GCSE's, achieved in August and has just joined Year 12. Because of his good results, he gets credit for study elsewhere, which will all count towards his missed year 11 studies and he can still achieve a top OP (if he works hard) and get into Uni. So GCSEs do not mean nothing - they have enabled my son to join the correct age group and not have to go back a year.

I can't help thinking that getting credit to skip year 11 might be counter-productive

Scrub that - just spoke to my wife who is a teacher and she says that years 11 and 12 are quite different and getting a credit for missing year 11 could be an advantage.

I would edit my original post but the site won't let me.

Guest jaqmaria

Dont let it lapse fate has given you this chance will cost you more in the long run than flights. i only came here for 7 days to validate 6 years ago. never used my visa to eventually migarte until the 5th year and have never regretted that. take your son in half term. its not a holiday it is to validate. poor advice from the migration agent i promise find that cash and time. your son can revise on his trip.

Thanks so much for all the advice. Firstly we were kept waiting 5 years because of the changes, , hairdressing was put to the bottom of the list, thete were no sponsorship in nsw either . couldn't get in with a brother there either, so we sat and waited.alot has changed in 5 years and seems alot happier in the UK. But having paid so much money and time it seems a waste not to keep our options open. It would be lovely if I can get a holiday not just a quick validation as it will cost £6000 Plus. One month extra that was all I wanted. We are both now over 40 so can't even reapply either. This does sound like mission impossible after such a long wait .Thanks again for all your help guys.x

Archived