23 yr old male, looking to move to Australia for a better life.

inxie

Hello everyone,

I was on this forum a few years back when I was on a 1 year WHV when I had some issues getting the second year WHV. It's such a great/helpful community and I'm excited to be back on here.

So... The experience in Oz really opened my eyes to say the least.

I mean the people, the weather, the outdoor lifestyle, the open space living and just the raw 'feeling' of opportunity in the air.

It's been just over 2 years since I returned from the working holiday, but I always knew I wanted to and actively spoke about going back permanently at some stage.

My girlfriend and I had planned to go for it after her university degree was complete (in 3 years time), however she left me a few days ago. It struck me that I now had nothing to wait for, and I should seek advice about what pathway is right for me.

So I'm 23 and I run my own business in web development, which I could easily continue in Oz as it only requires a computer and telephone. I have about £10,000 in savings. If at all possible I don't want to have to work for someone for a long period of time in order to gain rights to live there, I'm just so comfortable working for myself and developing my business.

So what is the best pathway to take for someone in my situation?

Thanks!!

Hello Inxie

I cant help you with the migration side but just wanted to welcome you back to the forum. Sorry to hear about your girlfriend! Hopefully someone else can help you with the migration plan, might be worth talking to a migration agent

Thanks for commenting :)

Yeah, I will probably end up doing that but thought I might get a little clarity from the community here.

You will need to get a visa otherwise you won't get close. TBH it's not looking good unless you've got some qualifications you've not let on. Just running your own web based business isn't going to get you within cooee. You should probably consult an agent for advice or rejig your expectations.

Is there no visa for business owners?

I don't have any qualifications other than a college diploma which is not highly regarded.

Living in Oz is worth jumping through the hoops for, but getting the right qualifications could take years and I don't want to work for someone else for another few years after that.... :(

No unfortunately not it's qualifications that seen to count for the most and best part of it all....get yourself some qualifications and you'll ace it - worth it....if it's your dream crack in you're still young so have time to play with - good luck z

Thanks so much for replies.

To be honest I was expecting better news, I'm really disappointed :/

Although it's a dream of mine, it also clashes with an even bigger dream to become a "successful entrepreneur".

There has to be another way, there just has to be...

Otherwise I guess I'll have to sneak over on a dingy :laugh:

Hi,

There is a visa for business people but you need to have a well established track record of running your business and need to have been turning over some serious money which I assume at 23 assume you would not be able to do? Also the business visa requires a substantial investment in Oz. It is something silly like £500k for 4 years which is why you need a high money making business.You are only left with a typical work visa. To get one via a computer related job you need a degree and many years of experience which you don't have :( have you looked on the skilled occupation list and consolidation list on the immigration website to what jobs are on there? I don't know what field your diploma is in and if you have related work experience to it but some jobs require only a diploma. Very few but the do exist. Might be worth looking through both lists and seeing if you fit in anywhere. If you are not on any of the lists and don't turn over mega profit in your business..... I am afraid there are not many options open to you as they are really the only 2 routes. Good luck let us know if you find a suitable job on there :)

Web Developer is on the CSOL list but there are no states currently sponsoring, which leaves getting an employer to sponsor you. I believe it also requires a degree - or if you don't have a relevant degree 5 years + experience may substitute for it (just Googling the ANZSCO code on the CSOL list for this info).

Have a look at the SOL+ CSOL lists to see if something else suits - Google the ANZSCO code next to the position and it will give you the basic requirements for that job.

SOL - http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/sol.aspx

CSOL - http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx

If at some point you can qualify for a independent skilled visa in a profession you can go over to Australia and continue your business. But otherwise you may need to consider working for an employer for a few years and running your business on the side.

Consult a registered MARA agent - they can help work out a path forward for you. Will help clear up a lot of things for you.

Australia has changed a lot in two years, and you won't be on an extended holiday if your planning to move over. But best of luck - it may not happen soon but where there is a will there is a way (just be careful of those rose coloured glasses)!

Thanks so much for replies.

To be honest I was expecting better news, I'm really disappointed :/

Although it's a dream of mine, it also clashes with an even bigger dream to become a "successful entrepreneur".

There has to be another way, there just has to be...

Otherwise I guess I'll have to sneak over on a dingy :laugh:

Hi Inxie, sorry that things haven't worked out the way you want them to!

All I can suggest as others have is consulting a registered migration agent to see if your occupation is any list, but again as others have said you need the qualifications to go with which will probably have to be at degree level.

It does suck when things don't go as you expect! But if you really want to get to Aus you'll find a way.

I'm just at the start of my 5 year plan to move over. I'll be going back to college and then uni to do nursing. Fortunately doing nursing is something I want to do career wise anyway and for now it's on the list so if it's still on there after I've graduated i'll be making the move!

Good luck with your plans.

I agree with the above, when I met my husband in 2008 he had just returned from Australia and wanted to be back within a few years.

Eventually the reality hit that neither of us were in a position to move over to Australia. We had to put a 5 year plan in place, return to university, uprooted our children so I could study on the other side of the UK and am now gaining some work experience. The 5 year plan ended up taking 7 1/2 years. There are no easy routes or pathways, else everyone would be doing it.

Im sorry its not what you want to hear but it may be better to be realistic and be in a position to make serious plans. Talk to a migration agent for a pathway.

Hi inxie,

Am a new member here, but have been lurking for over a year and got my invite on the 23rd so you can take my words with a little more than a pinch of salt :D

I believe the real option open to you is to enroll into a university in your area thats recognised or in Australia (the fees will be massive, 10-15k a semester), or do a combination of both. Ie a year in your country and the remainder in a an australian university via exemptions. This will mitigate costs a little, and when you grad you'll be 26ish, great for points. In the meantime, as a student you can further your business so by the time you grad you would be a step ahead of most people, even if you arent planning to work for anyone. It wont be an easy path, especially for the first few years, but like some have said, if it was easy no one would be doing it.

The last option is, and im not recommending this in jest or sarcasm, is to find a new australian girlfriend to defacto with, seeing as you recently had a breakup. This method comes with its own host of problems but its by far the cheapest and fastest

Hi inxie,

Am a new member here, but have been lurking for over a year and got my invite on the 23rd so you can take my words with a little more than a pinch of salt :D

I believe the real option open to you is to enroll into a university in your area thats recognised or in Australia (the fees will be massive, 10-15k a semester), or do a combination of both. Ie a year in your country and the remainder in a an australian university via exemptions. This will mitigate costs a little, and when you grad you'll be 26ish, great for points. In the meantime, as a student you can further your business so by the time you grad you would be a step ahead of most people, even if you arent planning to work for anyone. It wont be an easy path, especially for the first few years, but like some have said, if it was easy no one would be doing it.

The last option is, and im not recommending this in jest or sarcasm, is to find a new australian girlfriend to defacto with, seeing as you recently had a breakup. This method comes with its own host of problems but its by far the cheapest and fastest

Defacto won't be fast I'm afraid as you have to have proof that you are living together, that your relationship is genuine and enduring, that you have lived together for at least 12 months, the offshore applications are taking about a year now (I think, I'm not sure but there's a thread you can check on here) and you can't just meet on Saturday then move in and have joint accounts etc., on Monday so you are looking at 3 years or thereabouts. Do the degree. Ultimately you'll get a qualification, not be dependent on some one else's whims (as you would with de facto as it would be a temporary visa for the first 2 years unless you get her pregnant and have a baby before you apply in which case you would get permanent residency) and the degree will take anywhere in the world if you decide Australia isn't for you.

Is it any easier to get a visa for New Zealand? Somewhere I've got it in my head that someone who has been living in New Zealand might be able to come and go to Australia freely, and to be honest, the 'raw feeling of opportunity in the air' hasn't been around in Australia for a few years now, whereas I've heard New Zealand is a great place for young people to live and work. As I say, I've got no idea of any of this, but just throwing the possibility out there...

Using someone to get a visa is morally wrong imho. I have two aussie daughters living in the UK,both have partners (british)and neither want to move to Australia. If I had any inkling when my kids met these guys that the guy was just using them as a way to gain entry to Australia "The easy way" I would be advising daughter to ditch said guy as fast as you can say "Hit the road Jack"! Its not the first time someone has advised someone else to do this on the forum,and its just wrong.

Is it any easier to get a visa for New Zealand? Somewhere I've got it in my head that someone who has been living in New Zealand might be able to come and go to Australia freely, and to be honest, the 'raw feeling of opportunity in the air' hasn't been around in Australia for a few years now, whereas I've heard New Zealand is a great place for young people to live and work. As I say, I've got no idea of any of this, but just throwing the possibility out there...

You have to be a NZ citizen to flit across the ditch and NZ requires migrants to be in NZ for 5 years I think before they are eligible to apply for citizenship.

Wow thanks so much for all the replies.

I knew they were strict but I never knew it was this difficult.

If I get the qualifications needed, how long do I have to work in that position (in Oz) in order to get permanent residency?

Is there an accepted qualification that only takes 1 or even 2 years to acquire?

I agree with the above, when I met my husband in 2008 he had just returned from Australia and wanted to be back within a few years.

Eventually the reality hit that neither of us were in a position to move over to Australia. We had to put a 5 year plan in place, return to university, uprooted our children so I could study on the other side of the UK and am now gaining some work experience. The 5 year plan ended up taking 7 1/2 years. There are no easy routes or pathways, else everyone would be doing it.

Im sorry its not what you want to hear but it may be better to be realistic and be in a position to make serious plans. Talk to a migration agent for a pathway.

I'm with this.

I had a similar situation to above and changed uni courses and had to start over in order to get a visa. It's taken me 3 years, and very close to graduating I ended up getting engaged to my Australian boyfriend, which means I qualify for a prospective marriage visa anyway, so we decided to go with that as it's the "easier" option. What I'm trying to say is, this is something that WILL happen if you want it to, and I strongly advise you to get a plan in place ASAP and stick to it. It will take what feels like forever, but you're young and having to wait 5 years is better than never getting it at all.

Another route may be going to uni/further education in Aus. Look up graduate visas, I'm sure there's something about doing your last year in Aus will make it easier to stay on, as long as you are doing a specific degree. Would be expensive but at least you could live there while you study?

Wow thanks so much for all the replies.

I knew they were strict but I never knew it was this difficult.

If I get the qualifications needed, how long do I have to work in that position (in Oz) in order to get permanent residency?

Is there an accepted qualification that only takes 1 or even 2 years to acquire?

That is a hard question to answer as all skills in demand vary and there are so many. Some require diplomas but very few so the likelihood is you would need a degree. All jobs require at least 1 year experience AFTER completing the qualification but most are several years. The other issue is it isn't just about having a qualification and experience on the demand list. You need to obtain 60 migration points. At 23/24/25 as you will be once qualified you may struggle to get 60 points. People make up 60 points by having a degree or masters as you get the most points for those qualifications. Also you get points the more experience you have etc. Also some jobs require a state to sponsor you and it has to be a job they are currently sponsoring. What might be in demand now and open for sponsorship may not be when you are qualified.

Safe jobs are things like the previous poster put.... nurse, physio etc. Virtually always going to be in demand. But this would require uni. To be honest if you are not already in demand there is no quick fix to being so. You really need to look through the lists yourself as they are so long people could not tell you what is on there you would need to look yourself. Someone posted the links earlier. If you cant find them search Australia skilled occupation list 2014-2015 and the same but consolidation occupation list. Look at all the jobs and what they require. See if you fit any now if not see what you think you could train to become.

The jobs on the consolidation list are ones that need state sponsorship and so would require them to be open when you finish so you would be taking a risk Try and find one on the SOL if you plan to study. They contain always in demand type jobs like nurses etc. Also go on the immigration website and look at the 189 and 190 visas. That is what the visas we are talking about are called. Look at what you get points for and see how you would be able to obtain 60 points. You will get an idea of what you get for years of experience and level of qualification to see what you would be aiming for.

You can et 20 points for superior English but it means sitting and English exam and getting top marks and should not be relied on being English. Gives you an all round idea of what is required and how difficult it is. You need to get any skills you obtain assessed after you have them. Each job role has its own assessing authority and they decide bases on the evidence you provide if you meet that job role before you can even apply for the visa. It tells you everything under the info of the 2 visa you should go and have a read.

It is a very long, complicated and expensive process. You also need a medical and police check so if you have any nasty illnesses now or get any from now on. You can be denied a visa. Just so you are aware that it isn't a case of getting some experience. My friend trained to be a nurse and then failed the medical as she has epilepsy so cant go to Oz.

On a final note I would not train to do an IT job. It is an oversubscribed role and the future of the field is uncertain for IT. Keep doing your business with a view to carrying it on in Oz (you can basically work as what you want once you get the visa and don't have to stay in the role you applied under). IT requires a degree and the IT assessing authority deduct 2 years of experience so you would need a lot of experience to begin with to be able to lose 2 years. Most assessing authorities only count experience AFTER getting the qualification. Something to consider on your quest to retraining.

Good luck. Do tell us if you find a suitable role :)

Archived