WA economy and building industry

em&paul

Hi

Happy Australia Day.

Recently there has been lots in the news about the WA economy and also the building industry - we're probably noticing because we're thinking of moving interstate but I was hoping to get some feedback from those in WA?

I know news articles can favour one view or another so I'm not taking any article as right or wrong. When we were in Perth last year there was building work going on so I'd take that as a good sign. Does anyone have any knowledge of the building industry - specifically carpenters and the local economy? Hopefully someone can help?

Thank you

Emma

Hi

Happy Australia Day.

Recently there has been lots in the news about the WA economy and also the building industry - we're probably noticing because we're thinking of moving interstate but I was hoping to get some feedback from those in WA?

I know news articles can favour one view or another so I'm not taking any article as right or wrong. When we were in Perth last year there was building work going on so I'd take that as a good sign. Does anyone have any knowledge of the building industry - specifically carpenters and the local economy? Hopefully someone can help?

Thank you

Emma

Hi Emma,

We're looking to move over from Scotland in June and we have friends there just now. One is a carpenter and he says there is loads of work. My OH is a painter to trade and he said that there was plenty of work for painters as well. Hope this helps. Susan xx

There was a story in the West Australian a couple of weeks ago about the shortage of building tradies, even since a lot of the mine work has steadied down. There is still a lot of building going on and the suburbs are forever expanding. It's going to slow down sometime, no doubt, and there will be a lot of building workers fighting for a few jobs, but at the moment there seems to be plenty of work about.

Hi, my partner is a coded flux core welder currently in oil and gas trade, we have done a research online for jobs and perth seems to be a good hotspot for work so we are looking at that area basically to get the best chance of getting well paid employment, can anyone tell me if the info is right? :err:

Thank you for your reply.

The construction industry has always been changing - it was the same in the UK and is the same in Tasmania - we'll just hope that the construction industry and economy stays positive in WA.

Emma

New build approvals are dropping fast, so while there is strong demand at the moment it is looking bad for the future.

Hi, my partner is a coded flux core welder currently in oil and gas trade, we have done a research online for jobs and perth seems to be a good hotspot for work so we are looking at that area basically to get the best chance of getting well paid employment, can anyone tell me if the info is right? :err:

Given the current oil price, I would research very carefully. There are already projects being stopped.

It takes awhile to get through what is on the books and as such it won't be until next year, I'd imagine, before the slowdown impacts. Your call but best not to burn your boats over there. Most here on this forum I guess have never witnessed a major downturn in the economy. Not pretty as those around in the early 90's can confirm.

It takes awhile to get through what is on the books and as such it won't be until next year, I'd imagine, before the slowdown impacts. Your call but best not to burn your boats over there. Most here on this forum I guess have never witnessed a major downturn in the economy. Not pretty as those around in the early 90's can confirm.

Perth has always been boom bust. Its good to have a partner in a recession proof job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

building related feedback seems to be very biased when the economy is concerned. It seems to focus the 'construction' industry as almost purely involving 'house building' which is often the first sector to slow. but depending on the role there's often more opportunities out there on larger industrial projects be it mining, gas, commercial etc. There is also a bias for ''impartial analysis'' to suggest that the building market is going one way or t'other due to their vested interests. I had a speaker just a few weeks ago explaining how properties in a certain area were going to go nowhere but up, buy buy buy, new developments would drive prices up.. when in reality, they were building more appartments in the area, driving down prices on the short term if anything, due to suggestions that he has 'more than a few' properties in said area..

I have to take much of it with a pinch of salt..

• 2 weeks later...
We're hoping to go to Secret Harbour / Rockingham.

Wbu?? xx

Nice area not as much going on as Freo or Perth but great family area. If you have teenagers think about kolbe catholic college - great school but I am biased as I work there .

Archived