Can you watch British TV/SKY TV in oz?!!

smw

I know this sounds a bit desperate but....

Will be missing my tv shows!! Watch loads on Sky atlantic, SKY one, BBC one, Premier league etc. I know foxtel gets some of these, but want to know what i can get!!

I know theres more to do in oz and will be making the most of it..believe me, but will miss me shows!!!

Do a google search for "vpn uk tv" and you will find many options for VPN software that lets you pretend your computer is in the UK.

This gives you access to streaming programmes as well as downloads on iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player etc.

I used one for the last 4 years in India and it worked great, for $US 5 a month. As I'm a new user I expect I'm not allowed to recommend any commercial services though...

Is it easy to set up?

Define "easy" :)

The one I use has a little program that you run whenever you want to connect via the VPN (Virtual Private Network). There are options for which server to connect to in the UK - sometimes one is busy so you choose another.

Once you're connected, all your network traffic gets sent through the server in the UK, so you just run it and forget it. And all the software there thinks you are in the UK. (Even down to getting web ads for UK stuff.)

After that the experience will depend on how fast your broadband is. In India where the connectivity wasn't great I mostly downloaded stuff rather than streaming, to avoid breaks in the programmes. Although I did watch a lot of world cup on ITV player and iPlayer, which was streaming obviously.

Hope that helps!

You won't bother watching Premier League once you see AFL - it makes it look very dull.

Yes your right, just think of the billion or so people wasting their time watching the EPL every week when they could of been watching men with mullet's pushing each other... Back to the topic

1, FOXTEL is crap and can become expensive although all packages are cheaper than Sky

2, VPN with friends Sky Go code works but depends on Internet connection.

3, XBMC now called Kodi via Apple TV box works quite well and gives you a huge number of box sets films etc. not illegal in AUS. Needs a little computer knowledge and Apple tv is weak although I am told is better than windows versions.

S

3, XBMC now called Kodi via Apple TV box works quite well and gives you a huge number of box sets films etc. not illegal in AUS. Needs a little computer knowledge and Apple tv is weak although I am told is better than windows versions.

XBMC/Kodi also works on a Raspberry Pi single-board computer, which will cost you about 30 quid.

• 1 month later...

I know how you feel, but Foxtel now has a relatively new channel, BBC1st and they're showing more and more UK shows sooner than they've been broadcast previously. You'll get all the football too.

ABC are showing the new Sky Atlantic drama, Fortitude, with Sophie Grobel (The Killing) starting mid Feb, so more and more of the latest shows are getting aired quicker.

I try to avoid the commercial free to air channels as all they want is to interrupt shows with ads every few minutes, but that's my choice.

The previous suggestions are well worth considering as well, or download from iTunes.

• 3 weeks later...

Loads of ways you can do this...

Easiest one is find a friend/relative with Sky in the UK and use their login details for SkyGo on an iPad or PC.

We have UK Netflix set up too, which is also dead easy - you just need a UK account and use a VPN tunnel.

Even easier - pay $10 a month for Stan in Australia. Loads of stuff to watch on there.

Personally, we hardly ever watch any of the Australian TV channels. They are utter crap, with US cloned formats, millions of adverts and low rent. One or two gems in and amongst, but loads of dross like The Block, MKR, Masterchef, The Voice, The X Factor etc. On a positive note, because it's so rubbish we watch less TV than ever. Loads more family time, so can't be a bad thing.

There are lots of ways to achieve this. The easiest way is to ask a relative if they can use their sky credentials and use Sky Go. To do this you will need a DNS bypass service (much better than a VPN tunnel). The DNS services will also sort out the UK catch up TV services.

There is a site that shows you all the options: http://www.eyeondemand.com

I would also recommend that you bring a Now Tv box with you - just hook it up to your telly with a DNS service:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2800150.htm

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I know this sounds a bit desperate but...

Yes it does....it does indeed! :laugh:

Loads of British shows on normal tv here, plus loads more on Foxtel. And yet more still can be watched by visiting torrent sites and downloading. And if all else fails - simply get someone in the UK to copy onto a DVD and post out each month.

Archived