Different country, many of the same old problems.

srg73

OK so I'm up and working and everything has been great thus far. Yesterday presented the first eye opener, to survey and draw up documents for the refurbishment of a crack house which has now been abandoned. I have seen many drug houses etc whilst working in London however this is the first in Australia.

It was an eye opener and reminder that Australia is a fully developed country with many of the same problems that other developed countries including UK.

S

OK so I'm up and working and everything has been great thus far. Yesterday presented the first eye opener, to survey and draw up documents for the refurbishment of a crack house which has now been abandoned. I have seen many drug houses etc whilst working in London however this is the first in Australia.

It was an eye opener and reminder that Australia is a fully developed country with many of the same problems that other developed countries including UK.

S

And some of the problems are worse. I was surprised too, not sure why, think it's that you only here how fab it is from friends and relatives who moved here.....they don't tell it all sometimes :skeptical:

And some of the problems are worse. I was surprised too, not sure why, think it's that you only here how fab it is from friends and relatives who moved here.....they don't tell it all sometimes :skeptical:

i always tell it as it is ... But let's face it , most don't want to hear it , particularly aspiring migrants ...it's called selective deafness , and I suffered from it too ....

Dave C

Which problems are those?

Pick one, there's plenty to go round.

Mary R, the above is loosely based on a line from David & David's song, "Welcome to the Boomtown". Another on my list of thousands of truly awesome songs. If you go to YouTube, try and get the full length version, it's the one with a firework display for the video.

I'm surprised that you're surprised.

Yes...in an age when every local newspaper, radio station, media outlet is only a click away, I'm surprised that anyone can whinge that the "advertisements/brochures/ friends/ relatives didn't tell me about that."

Can't believe the government pays to refurbish crack houses. Now that really is progressive.:wink:

Im not sure where that came from and where you think I work but it certainly is NOT publically funded! I'm also not stupid enough to be surprised that Australia does not have problems being a developed economy, has many of the source countries for the drugs as nearby neighbours, a demand within Australia for the product and plenty of people with money to buy. I'm also a little surprised about the amount of petty burguleries and robberies, guess houses are quite basic and some desperate people about. Also it is years since I have lived in a city, I'm sure London etc are much much worse.

Only reason of the message is to warn people of rose tinted specs and as mentioned in a previous post, it is not all a land of milk and honey.......just most of it.

S

For those planning on emigrating to Oz because there are no illegal drugs there and no crime this is a useful thread to read.

We ought to let them know too that there are no leprechauns in Ireland, no Loch Ness monster in Scotland and no pot of gold at the end of rainbows either.

Got to correct you on that because I spoke to a man who knows a man who knows a man that's seen Nessie!

It amazes me how naïve some people are arriving here, with all the information needed just a couple of clicks of their mouse away. I think that we were better prepared before arriving here 33 years ago, with information obtained from a month old The Age newspaper that the Commonwealth Bank used to send us from London occasionally.

For those planning on emigrating to Oz because there are no illegal drugs there and no crime this is a useful thread to read.

We ought to let them know too that there are no leprechauns in Ireland, no Loch Ness monster in Scotland and no pot of gold at the end of rainbows either.

Gee that's loads of bubbles burst there:cry: Still, glad there is a santa clause:yes::jiggy:

Archived