cost of living OZ vs UK?

mogsandrovers

I suppose you believe in fairies too Paul. Goes along with the thoughts you probably have that Paradise comes to you on a plate without having to work for it. Also, nothing wrong with flying with Malaysian Airline. We have done so several times in the past, and will do in the future.

Don't belive in fairies or paradise, sorry to disappoint .

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, the thing with me, I've just taken four unpaid sick days off with another **** of a cold, and I'm suffering from insomnia, and I've got 3 grand to pay off my Visa (last of my hospital bills) but going for a walk on a perfect Sydney spring morning to get a 'proper' cafe brekkie, with the AFL Grand Final, and later, the North London derby, to look forward to, and I would not go back to England to live whatever you paid me, and whatever the FX rate and whether you need to earn 102 times the UK salary to have a decent life in OZ!

My Aussie income has always been less than my UK income using the 2.2 or 2.5 or whatever the rule is. No wonder I've been living the life of a pauper these last five years in Sydney!

It's all BS, as far as I'm concerned. Just because the UK and Austraila are two, very similar First World economies, you can't reduce it to a simple debit/credit spreadsheet...

I thought about lots of things when I was making my plans to come to OZ back in 1978, but the thing I never thought about was comparing salaries and costs of living. Maybe I should have done, but if I had, I would probably still be living in England.

I agree that's the right way to look at it, if you're single. When you're single, your decision doesn't affect anyone else - if it turns out you need to scrimp, you made that choice and you can feel happy that the adventure was worth it.

I don't think someone with a family has any right to take that attitude - especially if they're not coming to a permanent job, and therefore won't get any benefits if they hit the skids.

Why would anybody in that situation be coming to Australia in the first place?

A surprising number of people do. They probably had relatives who were Ten Pound Poms back in the 50's and 60's, came over to Oz with nothing and ended up with a nice house on a quarter acre block, so they assume it's still the same. The story gets passed down through the generations, and they see their cousins in Australia far better off than them.

I remember when I came out to Sydney. For my last few weeks at work, I was assigned to the factory where I had to get every worker to fill out some new forms. They were all curious what the boss's secretary was doing there, and when I told them, I was amazed at the reactions I got. Everyone seemed to think I was heading for a city paved with gold.

See, the thing with me, I've just taken four unpaid sick days off with another **** of a cold, and I'm suffering from insomnia, and I've got 3 grand to pay off my Visa (last of my hospital bills) but going for a walk on a perfect Sydney spring morning to get a 'proper' cafe brekkie, with the AFL Grand Final, and later, the North London derby, to look forward to, and I would not go back to England to live whatever you paid me, and whatever the FX rate and whether you need to earn 102 times the UK salary to have a decent life in OZ!

What's that...?

We were back on holiday in the UK last year and expected finding things cheaper. We didn't tbh. If we wanted to take the parents and in-laws out for a nice meal in a nice place it was just as expensive as here. Sure you can go to weatherpersons and get something cheap but here you could take them to a food hall for an equivalent nosh up, probably with a lot more choice and you wouldn't have to buy a pint as well.

It's a waste of time trying to compare "lifestyle" as they can be so completely different just by having good weather and maybe being close to the Ocean and beach. Whilst housing has certainly increased in price I think the bang for buck you get in Aus, again can't be compared to some houses in England. I don't think there is an equivalent to a mid terrace, at least not that I've seen in Perth. Nearest I've seen are those old places in Sydney with the filigree balconies that seem to be worth big bucks for some reason.

You need to take a look at the new build estates going up past butler.. They may not be joint but put your arms out and your touch each others walls. And a garden that you can only put a table and chairs. It's greed at its highest, a country rich in land .. Piss take big time

I agree that's the right way to look at it, if you're single. When you're single, your decision doesn't affect anyone else - if it turns out you need to scrimp, you made that choice and you can feel happy that the adventure was worth it.

I don't think someone with a family has any right to take that attitude - especially if they're not coming to a permanent job, and therefore won't get any benefits if they hit the skids.

Yes, you are probably right, though, perhaps some parents, not all, just expect their kids to put up with whatever they decide to do? Isn't that part of being a kid. Doing what they say, until they you can fly the coop?

You should all be doing your research before you come here, and I guess it seems fair enough maybe to say 'well, we did our research and decided it was too much of an upheaval, both financially and emotionally to risk it.

But on the other hand, once that seed has been planted, it seems sad to make that decision to stay at home because of a few negative and subjective comments on PIO!?

Anyone would think that cost of living in the UK was good....we've all lived there and we all read the news...its bad, it's expensive and its hard to get ahead. Here it's not that much different but opportunities can be taken to get on and for most people the lifestyle will tip the balance in Australias favour

You need to take a look at the new build estates going up past butler.. They may not be joint but put your arms out and your touch each others walls. And a garden that you can only put a table and chairs. It's greed at its highest, a country rich in land .. Piss take big time

People are buying them though Paul...who's to say what constitutes lifestyle and value to different people? Plus they are still a million miles away from a mid terrace in inner city UK...a trillion miles away!

People are buying them though Paul...who's to say what constitutes lifestyle and value to different people? Plus they are still a million miles away from a mid terrace in inner city UK...a trillion miles away!

Not in my eyes , there tiny... No garden at all and they want 450+ for the pleasure. And why would you choose to live inner city mid terrace...? Just move ..?

Anyone would think that cost of living in the UK was good....we've all lived there and we all read the news...its bad, it's expensive and its hard to get ahead. Here it's not that much different but opportunities can be taken to get on and for most people the lifestyle will tip the balance in Australias favour

It's just gone through the worse recession ever to hit the country. We haven't so there's no comparison until a fair playing field is found, which I feel is close because it's not easy here anymore, expensive and jobs hard to find. Not many these days racing ahead in life.

It's just gone through the worse recession ever to hit the country. We haven't so there's no comparison until a fair playing field is found, which I feel is close because it's not easy here anymore, expensive and jobs hard to find. Not many these days racing ahead in life.

So when are you heading back?

Not in my eyes , there tiny... No garden at all and they want 450+ for the pleasure. And why would you choose to live inner city mid terrace...? Just move ..?

Just move?? It's that easy is it?? C'mon Paul, you know it's not. I lived inner city mid terrace for 9 years...trust me...we looked into 'just moving' many times...takes time..and planning.

I agree re the homes you mention though, wouldn't suit me but clearly suits some...who's to judge?

I rented a luxury town house in Brisbane (800k to buy). Build quality was astonishing -my young daughter fell against a wall and made a huge great hole. Balconies that sloped in and trapped the rain. No noise insulation - floors not level internally. Kitchen work tops not heatproof. significantly less well built and solid than an old Victorian terrace I used to own in the centre of Brighton. I'm betting that the Victorian terrace will outlive that pile of shoddily constructed cardboard by a long while. Sure people buy them - they look nice and are low maintenance compared to queen slanders. But boy you get shocking value for money buying housing here - and good luck finding anything half decent under $600k

I rented a luxury town house in Brisbane (800k to buy). Build quality was astonishing -my young daughter fell against a wall and made a huge great hole. Balconies that sloped in and trapped the rain. No noise insulation - floors not level internally. Kitchen work tops not heatproof. significantly less well built and solid than an old Victorian terrace I used to own in the centre of Brighton. I'm betting that the Victorian terrace will outlive that pile of shoddily constructed cardboard by a long while. Sure people buy them - they look nice and are low maintenance compared to queen slanders. But boy you get shocking value for money buying housing here - and good luck finding anything half decent under $600k

Sorry Chortlepuss but my son has bought a 4 bed, + study area + family room, 2 car garage, on a good size block in a good area of Brisbane for $540k. It's a really nice house. My UK son in a 1930's 3 bed semi 2 small living rooms, small kitchen, with a loft conversion for 4th bed in a good area of Bristol, 3rd bedroom now too small for a bed due to taking space for the staircase, tiny back garden, garage too small for a modern car, would swap any day. UK house valued over 400k UK pds. Ridiculous price.

Obviously there are crap houses here, but to be honest not all new builds in UK are all that great possibly.

we love our cardboard house on the Sunshine Coast, and wouldn't swap it for our old 1911 house in Nottingham for anything. That house was like the 4th bridge, if we had ever finished putting things like drains etc right, we would have had to start all over again.

strangely we lived in that house for 11 years, and the same time here.I would never move back.

Just move?? It's that easy is it?? C'mon Paul, you know it's not. I lived inner city mid terrace for 9 years...trust me...we looked into 'just moving' many times...takes time..and planning.

I agree re the homes you mention though, wouldn't suit me but clearly suits some...who's to judge?

It really is easy to just move.. Put it on the market , find a new house and bingo your out your mid terrace house.And regarding people buying new homes I'm not judging them at all,just feel developers are taking the piss big time.. Who would think back in the UK that nowadays you get a garden 10 times bigger in England than you do in Australia. Good luck to anybody buying one but you've been well and truly ripped off.( IMO)

Sorry Chortlepuss but my son has bought a 4 bed, + study area + family room, 2 car garage, on a good size block in a good area of Brisbane for $540k. It's a really nice house. My UK son in a 1930's 3 bed semi 2 small living rooms, small kitchen, with a loft conversion for 4th bed in a good area of Bristol, 3rd bedroom now too small for a bed due to taking space for the staircase, tiny back garden, garage too small for a modern car, would swap any day. UK house valued over 400k UK pds. Ridiculous price.

Obviously there are crap houses here, but to be honest not all new builds in UK are all that great possibly.

we love our cardboard house on the Sunshine Coast, and wouldn't swap it for our old 1911 house in Nottingham for anything. That house was like the 4th bridge, if we had ever finished putting things like drains etc right, we would have had to start all over again.

strangely we lived in that house for 11 years, and the same time here.I would never move back.

your right on overall living space in Australia will be larger than the UK, but there's more to life than a bigger house.. I've got a bigger house than you..!!! So bloody what..

It really is easy to just move.. Put it on the market , find a new house and bingo your out your mid terrace house.And regarding people buying new homes I'm not judging them at all,just feel developers are taking the piss big time.. Who would think back in the UK that nowadays you get a garden 10 times bigger in England than you do in Australia. Good luck to anybody buying one but you've been well and truly ripped off.( IMO)

You're assuming everyone owns? We rented...even if we had owned at the time we lived in UK in a mid terrace prices were dire and moving 'up' and 'out' so to speak out of the question. Do you think people choose to stay in tiny poky terraces for the sake of it?? SOme have all they need there and thats fine but to suggest to those who dont that its easy..'just move' is frankly ridiculous. Its never that simple Paul.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed. The packages on offer to first time buyers (like north of Butler) in those small plots for a 'reasonable' fee can be replicated in housing estates all over the UK, same small plot, same small garden. I know this because we looked at heaps. You get what you pay for, here and there....here and there if you look around and dont buy brand new you will find older established bigger plots. Its not rocket science. You paint a very biased picture of whats available here and I fear your UK rose tints will get knocked off pronto once back.

your right on overall living space in Australia will be larger than the UK, but there's more to life than a bigger house.. I've got a bigger house than you..!!! So bloody what..

Strange I knew you would come on with absolutely unnecessary and rude comment. I'm really sorry that you appear so unhappy that when a poster posts a personal comparison, was not judging anyone, just comparing value for money,

best stop now as words fail me, and I'm too grown up to join in one of your slanging matches.

Strange I knew you would come on with absolutely unnecessary and rude comment. I'm really sorry that you appear so unhappy that when a poster posts a personal comparison, was not judging anyone, just comparing value for money,

best stop now as words fail me, and I'm too grown up to join in one of your slanging matches.

So your opinion for value for money is purly based on size.. ? Forget everything else about location , amenities etc.. Just size

You're assuming everyone owns? We rented...even if we had owned at the time we lived in UK in a mid terrace prices were dire and moving 'up' and 'out' so to speak out of the question. Do you think people choose to stay in tiny poky terraces for the sake of it?? SOme have all they need there and thats fine but to suggest to those who dont that its easy..'just move' is frankly ridiculous. Its never that simple Paul.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed. The packages on offer to first time buyers (like north of Butler) in those small plots for a 'reasonable' fee can be replicated in housing estates all over the UK, same small plot, same small garden. I know this because we looked at heaps. You get what you pay for, here and there....here and there if you look around and dont buy brand new you will find older established bigger plots. Its not rocket science. You paint a very biased picture of whats available here and I fear your UK rose tints will get knocked off pronto once back.

I own a property in the UK still and am very aware of what it's worth and what I can buy when I go home. My opinion is that people are being ripped off in new builds in Australia, we live in a country larger than europe and you now get a garden which you can only fit a table and chairs in, buying an older property your get one of two things... overprced or in a less desirable area.. And going back to new builds they offer packages based on intrest only mortgages, so it looks cheap

I own a property in the UK still and am very aware of what it's worth and what I can buy when I go home. My opinion is that people are being ripped off in new builds in Australia, we live in a country larger than europe and you now get a garden which you can only fit a table and chairs in, buying an older property your get one of two things... overprced or in a less desirable area.. And going back to new builds they offer packages based on intrest only mortgages, so it looks cheap

That's your opinion and one you're welcome to. You seem to have very fixed ideas

Archived